Massive 2013 roach

Cliff Hatton

Reaction score
59721_332989793478294_494638337_n-300x300.jpg

I seem to have missed this in 2013! Thought it worth resurrecting - just look at that thing!

The huge fish, which came from the little-known Hogsmill River, a tributary of the River Thames, was taken by 17-year-old student Aaron Winter.
“I was fishing with a free-running leger of about quarter-of-an-ounce and a size 12 hook packed with different coloured maggots” said Aaron, who comes from Molesey, Surrey.
“I cast into the main flow of the river and allowed it to swing back into the flow. I got a gentle bite and first thought I had hooked a big chub. I then saw its red fins and when I got it into the net I knew it was a very special roach”
The fish came as a complete shock to many who had believed that, largely thanks to predation and pollution, big river roach were a thing of the past.

flightliner

Reaction score
Hard to believe they can go so big. Top marks to the young guy. Maybe never see one even half the size ever again.
By the by as a matter of interest, google the home page of the Toft Newton trout website and theres one there that looks equally impressive caught by a fly angler.

soft plastic

Reaction score
I have had some lovely roach out of Toft Newton myself on the fly. Nothing that size but had one or two that were getting towards the magical 2lb mark. Also some fantastic perch, several over three pounds. All were taken on buzzer imitations.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

soft plastic

Reaction score
I wonder what it weighed? Oh to catch a fish like that!:)
Very hard to tell when people photograph fish like that. By holding fish outstretched at arms length towards the camera, even modest fish can appear huge. Still a great fish though.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
The Hogsmill river is very different now to when I lived close to its source in Ewell Village.

Back then (mid to late 70's) ti was little more than a drain . . . . . it is so pleasing to see this little river could produce such a lovely looking roach.

robertroach

Reaction score
Maybe it's got something to do with those rivers close to London not being so heavily predated by cormorants and otters. As well as improved water quality of course.

rayner

Reaction score
That is the first picture of a fish that has impressed me.
Excellent, the weight is of no concern to me you can see exactly what it is.