Closed face reels

mikench

Reaction score
When I was a lad and bought my first reel, an Intrepid Black Prince, I really wanted an Abu closed face reel but it was a lot more expensive. This would have been around 1964. I swapped the Victor, the Beano, and The Dandy comics for Angling times and saw the Abu featured regularly. I haven't a clue what the model was!

I still hanker after one so what would the members recommend. I would use it for trotting on rivers and on lakes when it was really windy. I will pair it with a 12 ft rod with quiver tips initially.

I also want a Triumph Tiger Cub or Honda CB750 ! The former I bought for £40 when I was 16 and the latter was always too expensive. That is another story!

Back to fishing I fancy an Abu even though I may not like it. Should I look for a new one or an older model?

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
The ABU around mid 1960s was the ABU 505 (red model with star drag), later superseded by the ABU 506 (silver grey). There are still plenty of 506s around, some 505s. The much rarer and larger 507 models were snapped up by match anglers. These original reels were much prized for their Swedish quality engineering though finding parts may be difficult.

Other companies produced closed face reels including DAM, Shakespeare and Daiwa, and Daiwa still produce a half decent model 125M Closed face Reel | daiwasports.co.uk.

There are also Mk2 versions of the ABU 506 & 507 around though I cannot comment on their quality. Reels

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
I have to plead guilty to the accusation that I'm a closed face anorak - I AM and I'm proud of it. I have quite a collection and love them all. Some older models are poor, performance wise, and some do not age well but I still love them.

To get into closed face fishing, I'd opt for something like an Abu 1044 or a Daiwa 125. Both available on ebay for a modest outlay.

If I'm honest, I would probably nominate the DAM coffee grinder, in its various guises, as my favourite but the thing weighs like a London bus under your rod tip and is, in all honesty, an acquired taste as it can drastically alter the feel and performance of a light float rod.

A few pointers when you get a closed face are not to overload it, 50 - 60 yards of line is normally fine, to prevent bedding in and use it to try and try and catch small - medium fish. It's not geared for, and I would never use it for, big fish fishing (but I'm sure you already know that).

Some early Abus were geared for bigger stuff but nearly all modern models are match reels, pure and simple, lines up to 4lb or so max really.

Hope it helps....:) Happy fishing

mikench

Reaction score
Thanks chaps for your comments and views. I will have a look around.

---------- Post added at 09:32 ---------- Previous post was at 09:23 ----------

Just read a great article on this forum from a few years ago by Jeff Woodhouse.

I reckon the reel I hankered after was the 501. My family home at that time was numbered 508 and my failing memory tells me the reel was numbered similarly.

My memory is not what it was but don't ask me how I know!:wh

thecrow

Reaction score
I also want a Triumph Tiger Cub

Don't know anything about closed face reels but the cub was my first bike also had a CB 750 amongst other stuff, where I live is quite popular with older bikes being ridden through, saw a Vinnie black shadow a few weeks ago.

robertroach

Reaction score
I bought the latest Abu about 3 years ago, model 706, I liked it in spite of all sorts of problems.
I bought a Daiwa 125 this year and it's vastly superior in every way, no problems at all yet, so I would recommend this one from my own experience.

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
Years ago, when stupidity counted and time and money didn't, I awoke very early one Sunday morning and drove to Stafford (from my parents' on the Wirral) for breakfast.

I was over taken by two guys on Vincent Black Shadow bikes, presumably going to a collectors' gathering. First time I'd ever see the Black Shadow in the flesh (so to speak).

Not long after, I had a 1957 Norton Dominator but always coveted a Vincent.

Far too expensive though, the MG Midget was fun, cheap and more interesting than the usual Vauxhalls and Volkswagens most 19 yr olds were driving.

Happy days :)

mikench

Reaction score
Happy days indeed. Had a Midget in 1979 and loved it. Mustard yellow and after 4 years I sold it for £25 less than I had paid for it. In truth it was the wife's first car but we loved going out in it wearing our sheepskins. Only got rid when she became pregnant and couldn't get in it!:)

I want an Abu or a Tiger cub just so I can be 11 and 16 again!:rolleyes:

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
looking through my old ABU catalogues it seems the 505 came first in the mid 60s, the 503 and 506 by the end of the 60s and the 507/8 circa 1973 with the 501 much later.

trotter2

Reaction score
There is not many I have not had to be honest been using them since late seventies
Regarding close face reels between the old and the new there is honesty not much difference. Yes the older reels like the abu mk1, 506 are better built.
But the newer mk2 506 and the 706 have slightly more winding power.
Condition is everything with old reels.
As safe bet would be a new mk2 506. They all do the job.
I don't like the 507 to big IMO

mikench

Reaction score
It must have been the 505 having looked at the pics! I will look out for one or a Cub or a Lambretta!:rolleyes:

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Built and ran a 3.5 litre V8 mid engined Hillman Imp beastie or what :) :wh bit of a handfull .

PG ...

---------- Post added at 20:59 ---------- Previous post was at 20:57 ----------

It must have been the 505 having looked at the pics! I will look out for one or a Cub or a Lambretta!:rolleyes:

Eek Lambretta or as we used to call the "motorised hair driers" .

PG ....

tonya

Reaction score
My first bike was an Aerial Arrow (250), once rode a VBS through town, I was doing nearly 60 before I realised.
I got an Alvey reel for beach fishing.