casting frequency

blankmeister

Reaction score
How long do you leave before recasting a method feeder or bomb for carp on a commercial? Hook bait pellet, corn etc. Thanks .

Chefster

Reaction score
How long do you leave before recasting a method feeder or bomb for carp on a commercial? Hook bait pellet, corn etc. Thanks .
If its a well stocked commie in summer,every few minutes to get some bait in,and get the fish used to the plop of the feeder,until they start to home in on it
,then once the fish move in,recast as often as it takes the tip to go round......

blankmeister

Reaction score
Thanks for replies. How about the straight lead (bomb). It seems you need to find the fish and try different baits as quickly as possible, so the cast needs to be long enough to give it a chance, but not waste too much time. I realise that this obviously depends a lot on conditions and comes with experience, but just as a guideline how do you approach this.

Keith M

Reaction score
Thanks for replies. How about the straight lead (bomb). It seems you need to find the fish and try different baits as quickly as possible, so the cast needs to be long enough to give it a chance, but not waste too much time. I realise that this obviously depends a lot on conditions and comes with experience, but just as a guideline how do you approach this.

When I use a straight lead I will usually loose feed over the top; and if I can't loose feed because ot the distance involved or because of a troublesome wind I sometimes mould a little soft paste around the bait to create a flavour trail leading to the hook-bait as it disolves, or hook a small PVA stocking full of bait which will leave loose feed around the hook.

I will usually start off casting every 10 to 15 minutes just to check my bait (or more often if I need to lay a small bed of feed or the fish are responding) but it depends on the swim and the species I am after.

Keith

Last edited:

rayner

Reaction score
I wouldn't leave a method more than a couple of minutes if I wasn't getting indications. Tight casting is a must.

Bomb fishing is a favourite where I fish, it's deeper than most commercial waters. Frequent feeding will bring the fish up especially in deep water.
Most times in warmer weather a couple of pouches of pellets at the start then fish them out is best. I've also done OK feeding just the odd pellet every 15 or 20 mins or so but generally loose feed brings the fish up.
Shallow water I'm not so stuck in how I feed, if a continual feed works best then that would suit me.
Shallow water a feeder would be my 1st choice.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Leaving the method for no longer than a couple of minutes is fine if you are fishing a heavily stocked water IMO - but sometimes you need to leave it longer - especially if the take spooks other fish out of the area

blankmeister

Reaction score
Thanks again for replies. I'm usually aiming close to an island in a depth of not much more than a couple of feet, so it seems a bomb with loose feed or method would work, not being too worried about bringing them up. Opinion seems to be divided amongst my colleagues as to whether bomb or method is best, some saying the fish tend to shy away from the feeder after a while. I suppose swapping between the two could make sense. I like the idea of moulding paste around a pellet. Definitely give that a try. Maybe a squirt of flavour too.
So, method not much more than 5mins till bites come, and bomb 10 to 15mins.
Can't wait for next match to put it into practice :)