Arlesey bombs

john step

Reaction score
I walked into Lincolns largest tackle shop today and because I couldn't see them on display, I asked for arlesey bombs. He had never heard of them.
I had to explain to the 35 plus assistant what they were.
This resulted in a blank look.

He reflected then showed me packets of various weights and explained they were called "distance bombs", " Look thats what they are called on the label"

I was quite surprised and tried to tell him what the name meant and when it originated. No visible reaction!!

Was I right to be, or is it a so old fashioned name nowadays that no one uses it? Perhaps I was wrong to assume that anglers worked in tackle shops and not non anglers.
I have since looked on ebay and there are loads that come up with that name.

Keith M

Reaction score
I find it hard to believe that there are actually people working in tackle shops today who don't know what an Arlesey bomb is Lol.

I can understand newbies not knowing who **** Walker was and about Arlesey lake and how Walker developed the Arlesey bomb to fish it; but actually not knowing what an Arlesey bomb is??? Surely this is basic knowledge and any tackleshop owner that doesn't know what an Arlesey bomb is is quite possibly in the wrong business Lol.

Every tackle shop that I've been in sells them.

Keith

Last edited:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Just another sad sign of the times these days where anglers can more or less buy instant success and never bother to learn anything about the history.

To many in angling then:

The Evening Swim is just a dip in the Thames,

Ravioli is just a meat-filled pasta dish,

and, Walker is something you try to avoid when driving . . . . . .

Ye Gods!

thecrow

Reaction score
I find that incredulous, surely one of the if not the best known lead? distance bombs?? sounds to me like someone has tried to reinvent the wheel in order to kickstart sales, distance bombs does that mean you cant use them close in :D

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I'm surprised in this pc, don't want to offend anyone , hug a tree and save a whale world that they are still called "bombs"

Surely this could offend anyone who might have had some contact with a bomb or a relative who has, or who has seen a bomb on TV

If you or anyone you know has been affected by tis post - GROW UP

greenie62

Reaction score
Similarly - a few years ago - I tried to buy some 'barrel leads' - the local tackle shop hadn't got a clue what I was talking about. When asked I explained that I wanted them to use as a 'backlead' to pin the running-line down whilst ledgering. "What you want" - I was informed - "is a flying back lead" and was shown them and the price:eek:mg:
I drew them a picture and description. It was then decided that what I really was after was a large olivette! :eek: - I'm still looking for the old barrel leads at pocket money prices!:eek::eek:mg:

B

binka

I guess a request for a coffin lead would similarly result in a piece of rope which you could use to drag a pine box around with :eek:mg:

Sad when people in professional (!) and often advisory positions don't know the history and heritage of our beloved pastime.

rayner

Reaction score
Last year I wanted some lead wire to make a couple of sliders self cocking. I have always got lead wire from Calcotts in Sheffield, unfortunately closed now.
I went to Bankside Angling asking for lead wire, reply was I'll have to ask someone. When he came back he said which article did you read it from.
I walked out of the shop and have not been back.
Incidentally the only wire I could get was soldering wire from a plumbers merchant.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
It makes you wonder sometimes, part of the reason many tackle shops are closing down i would have thought.

I am not sure about others, but i get a gut feeling when i walk into a tackle shop I haven't been in before. If it is any good, just by having a look around at the stock, and by the lay out of the shop, you soon know.

I am not sure that Walker ( who ever he is :eek:mg: ) invented the Arlesey Bomb. As i understand it, he gave it the name, and used it, but the Idea came from else where. I am sure it has come up on FM before, Ron Clay knew of the other guy. Then again, who didn't Ron know.

I am sure many tackle shops employ young lads, because it's cheap, I don't look at it that it's those working in the shops fault, more of those who own the shop, who can't be bothered to train the staff, or employ anglers who know a bit, and carry on learning.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I'm not remotely surprised. I doubt that many anglers much younger than forty will have seen or heard much of Arlesey bombs, or the reason for the name. I'm familiar with the name and tale, but only from my formative angling years as a youngster. I don't recall seeing bombs in a tackle shop bear the Arlesey bit since the mid-nineties.

Barrel and coffin leads are similar. They were rather common many years back, especially in the more northerly regions. Those where trout are prevalent and it's acceptable to fish methods other than fly. One of my locals still keep a few small coffin leads in stock, though I don't recall seeing barrels. I can't say that I've used either for decades myself. Both have an uncanny ability to become wedged solid on our rather cobbley local rivers.

steve2

Reaction score
Dinsmore still make Arlesey Bombs, barrel, coffin and ball weights. Don't know why their Carp Bomb weights are dearer than their Arlesey Bombs must be in the name.

flightliner

Reaction score
Last year I wanted some lead wire to make a couple of sliders self cocking. I have always got lead wire from Calcotts in Sheffield, unfortunately closed now.
I went to Bankside Angling asking for lead wire, reply was I'll have to ask someone. When he came back he said which article did you read it from.
I walked out of the shop and have not been back.
Incidentally the only wire I could get was soldering wire from a plumbers merchant.

Rayner, pop in to Billy Clarke, he sells it, ask for Lee.

robtherake

Reaction score
A schoolmate who could only spoonerise the word 'Arlesey' was an endless source of amusement to the rest of us, who tried to encourage him to say it as often as humanly possible.:D

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
On a similar note a recent short article in one of the weeklies described what was really a 7" loaded bodied ducker as a 'Trent trotter', hardly the job for 9" of water....