The Yorkshire Ouse at Naburn Lock - advice needed.

robtherake

Reaction score
The Mrs has found a pleasant campsite on the Ouse at Naburn lock. I haven't fished the Ouse before, so any advice would be welcome. Heck, it's quite a while since I fished a river of any description.

Despite being a **** lure angler I may take a spinning rod or two and have a try for Esox around the confluence, but I was wondering whether it was also worth catching a few minnows and trotting for perch or chub. Never seen this stretch of water so I have no idea what to expect in terms of depth, flow, species present and accessibility.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Rob, I haven't fished Naburn for three or four years now, but it used to be one of my banker area's. But when I did the Pike fishing could be spectacular, plenty of fish in the low to high doubles with the occasional twenty putting in an appearance.

It always seemed to fish better with the water up, when the water dropped it was still productive to fish behind the large rocks at the foot of the weir. Larger lures were the order of the day for me, especially the fluro colours.

All of the above relates to the lock side of the river, hope this helps.

robtherake

Reaction score
Thanks, Derek; that's plenty of info to be going on with. It turns out we may be going elsewhere this weekend, but it's pencilled in for a visit sometime soon. I'm now rather looking forward to it.:)

floatfish

Reaction score
York Amalgamation control some of the fishing around Naburn Lock on the Ouse. Right Bank and around the lock it'self. Be worth checking with their website for details and maps to see details, if you need to be a member, to fish or possible day/weekly tickets etc.

mikench

Reaction score
Cannot help Rob but I guess you are a caravaner! I do miss mine and our regular forays all over the place. :)