Disgorger.

rayner

Reaction score
So yesterday I was out as usual.
The pond I fished was empty to start, after an hour a chap rolled up and sat in the next peg. I thought great 4o odd pegs and he wants to sit on my knee.
He was very quite and caught a few fish and things were going well for us both.
I then had him in my ear, can you get me this hook out please! I got my disgorger and turned around on my box.
When I looked in the carps mouth the hook was visible only 1" inside the fishes mouth, I asked him why he had trouble getting the hook out. he said his fingers were too fat to get to the hook.
I was astonished when I said use your disgorger and he said he didn't have one. I said what about forceps ? nope none of them either.
I asked how he normally gets hooks out, my mate does that he said. I loaned him a disgorger that when he went he kept/stole.

greenie62

Reaction score
Same thing happened to me the other week - that guy gets around doesn't he?!:eek::D

I didn't begrudge giving disgorgers away when they were 10p each - or given away free with a 'comic' - but I'd rather there was a chance the loanee used it than continued to inflict harm on fish.

mikench

Reaction score
Amazing! I may leave a lot to be desired on technique but at least I have all the tackle. I would have been happy to donate a disgorger in those circumstances!

rayner

Reaction score
The cost of the disgorger he stole was not an issue, I was amazed that an angler had no way of unhooking a fish, apparently that's the reason he sat next to me.
There's a rule on this fishery that every angler must use a landing net for all fish, perhaps a disgorger should be added to the rules.
He had only been fishing three years but was quite proficient at catching, a shame he had no common sense.

mikench

Reaction score
How had he survived for three years without a disgorger? He probably has such a collection at home he sells them on the internet;)

trotter2

Reaction score
I come across this all the time. But look at it from the other side if you did not give him /lend him/ a disgorger the fish would have been dead or at best left with a hook in it.
So you did a good turn mate. :thumbs:

bracket

Reaction score
Once upon a time I use to make disgorgers from aluminium welding rod. Made them by the 100's, always double ended so which ever way you picked them up you always had the business end. I would carry a score or so in my tackle box for the very reason that has already been mentioned through this thread. Better to give a person the means to unhook a fish rather than the alternative. Pete.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I've mentioned this before, on various forums, I believe that there are quite a few "anglers" out there that fish without ever having any means of unhooking fish other than their fingers. Too many seem to think that pulling hard is a good way of unhooking a fish. I'd gladly help anyone to unhook a fish if they asked. I'm not going poking my nose in uninvited though. There are plenty of knuckle draggers out there that take offence at offers of help. However, no stranger is getting freebie disgorgers from me. I only carry the Exceed disgorgers these days and I'm not dishing a quids worth of excellence out to any Tom, **** or Harry. If they can afford tackle, they can afford a disgorger of their own.

mikench

Reaction score
Just bought some of those exceed disgorgers following the kind recommendation from another member of the forum whose name just eludes me. They look different and I will give them a try when the next need arises!

B

binka

Just bought some of those exceed disgorgers following the kind recommendation from another member of the forum whose name just eludes me. They look different and I will give them a try when the next need arises!

That may well have been me Mike but all credit to Sam Vimes as it was he who converted me to them when he gave me a couple during a day on the river last year.

I should say that I also had my own but the Exceed are far better :D

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
The Exceed are very good...the Guru works on the same sort of principle but seems less fiddly to me. Maybe its just me...either way I carry both and they are both excellent.

Mind you....both are currently on the bench given my current run of form ! It would be nice to actually have something to unhook.:eek:mg:

mikench

Reaction score
It was you Binka! So sorry for forgetting your moniker but I had started to type and the name just disappeared like the fish!

I bought both sizes and hope not to have to use them if you know what I mean!:)

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
On the rare occasion that i've forgot or lost my disgorger (I usually have several in my pocket or bag) rather than go home which is what I would do without one at all, I make one out of a twig. I always have a pocket knife and it takes a couple of minuites to whittle one out.

Out of the shop bought ones I find the drennan ones (which they do in various sizes) spot on.

sam vimes

Reaction score
The Exceed are very good...the Guru works on the same sort of principle but seems less fiddly to me.

As the Guru is a Slammo type, and the Exceed most definitely is not, you might be confusing the Exceed with something else.

rayner

Reaction score
The disgorger I had stolen was a ringers, best for me with large eye hooks.
I use exceed for what I call proper fishing.
I've said on numerous occasions that I have every item of tackle I have ever bought, less of course any small items I have foolishly lost.
It really peeves me that through my generosity some toe rag thieved a piece of tackle I bought. I shall watch for the perp and I'm sure our paths will cross.

There's been a few posts that said to give a disgorger to aid safety of fish.
Surely if a bloke can support his fishing, drive a decent car a black Nissan that I see occasionally (at the same fishery) then he can afford a quid for his own disgorger. I would gladly give a disgorger to a kid but a grown man should buy his own.
If a angler walks up to your peg and steals an item of tackle from your table I can make a good guess at your reaction. I loaned the disgorger and it was stolen, the same as taking it off my table.
It will not happen again, ever.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
As the Guru is a Slammo type, and the Exceed most definitely is not, you might be confusing the Exceed with something else.

Probably....confused is my default setting. Both types are good...the Exceed better for smaller hooks perhaps ? Wasn't "Slammo" one of the Bash Street Kids ?

---------- Post added at 10:16 ---------- Previous post was at 10:15 ----------

On the rare occasion that i've forgot or lost my disgorger (I usually have several in my pocket or bag) rather than go home which is what I would do without one at all, I make one out of a twig. I always have a pocket knife and it takes a couple of minuites to whittle one out.

That is SO Old School. Go and lie down under a floppy hat !