Hooks

fichie23

Reaction score
Hi,

Does anyone know of a small out turned eye hook pattern (barbed)?

I know you can get plenty in the larger sizes for things like chod rigs when carp fishing, but I am looking for sizes 12 and smaller.

Any help would be much appreciated

Anthony

---------- Post added at 14:05 ---------- Previous post was at 14:03 ----------

Forgot to mention, the finer the wire the better, providing they are reasonably strong.

john step

Reaction score
There are several makers of hooks who sell them under the banner of RIGGERS or HAIR RIG HOOKS. Made for hair rigging match size/commercial hooks.

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
There are plenty of options if you wanted barbless, not so many barbed.
You might be better served raking through the multitude of fly fishing patterns available.

Here's one of the few I've found on the coarse fishing side, the Drennan Boilie Hook.

fichie23

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

The kamasan 983 and drennan boilie hook look like definite possibilities, although I would prefer a hook eye with a really pronounced out turn so as to ensure the hook hangs straight when rigged. I know that having the hook hang angled upwards can be an advantage in some applications, but I think it hinders hooking when using the smaller sized patterns.

I have looked at the range of hair rigger hooks in the past and the drennan carp hair rigger is basically exactly what I'm after, but as sam points out, they all seem to be barbless unfortunately, which doesnt really suit my needs..

peterjg

Reaction score
The B983 has already been mentioned and it is a good hook but be careful using the size 16 which opens out too easily. The 14s, 12s and 10s I use for bread when roach fishing and the size 4 when live baiting for perch. There is another hook which is similar but a bit thicker in the wire and that is the Preston PR39 - these hooks are smaller in size number to the b983s so check the actual hook size in the packet when buying. Hope this helps.

---------- Post added at 23:48 ---------- Previous post was at 22:59 ----------

Just thought - another hook which may be of use but is only available in smaller sizes is the Gamakatsu GP106.

fichie23

Reaction score
Ordered some kamasan B983's and they do the job just fine.

Thanks lads