My first double figure fish( well almost)

mikench

Reaction score
Had a good day and discovered that the new scales I have ordered cannot come soon enough!

I caught well today including a beautiful common which weighed upwards of 4.5 kilos as the silly scales I bought by mistake bottomed out at their maximum. Big deal I hear you cry; well it is to me. My chair has a rod arm attached to it with a Guru reaper rod rest on the end. The arm is telescopic and I usually have it extended about 2 feet and at 2.00 o'clock. I was fishing on the tip which didn't just twitch it moved with the arm across to a 10.00 o'clock position and was only stopped by my leg;)

Admittedly I had never really checked how tight the fitment was on the bracket but no fish previously had caused it to move. Wow it was exciting and I knew it was a bigger fish than normal and could feel the additional weight in the net. All on a size 16 hook too.:) I used my new exceed disgorger as well on a couple of small perch and it worked well and the greedy monkeys were returned safely to the water.

God alone knows what a 20lb plus fish feels like- Moby **** most probably!

Hugh Bailey

Reaction score
Nice one Mike! Must be a double if it bottomed them out! ;-)

mikench

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your kind comments; I feel I am getting there!

I have a bait runner Binka which I bought first(Shimano 6000) with a 12 ft twin top rod. Only caught a few small carp with it. My clumsiness is amplified and publicised when I use this combo particularly in a tight swim, overhead trees and on a small lake. If I ever get the chance to go trotting or use a larger venue it may be more appropriate!:)

I know what you meant though: probably a bit like starting a water ski run from a platform- scary!!!

I forgot my phone yesterday so could not take a photo!

naxian62

Reaction score
Like this post. As I often walk around a couple of carp ponds near me, and chat with the lads fishing to see what's being caught. And they reply "nah not much happening we 've only had a couple of 10 lbers". Poor them , eh.

mikench

Reaction score
I wish! One day the novelty will wear off but as the character in Gladiator said "not yet not yet";)

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
as the character in Gladiator said "not yet not yet"{

That was . . Juba, right?

I had Gladiator on my lap top for a very long time, and used to commute weekly on Euro Star to and from Paris.

I would usually watch parts of the movie almost every week . . . and I ended up taking just short of 260 individual journeys on that train.

I remember on one trip the attendant when serving the meal telling me that: " oh that film is really popular, I often see passengers on the train watching it"

I didn't have the heart to tell her it was probably me, every time, LOL

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
It was indeed. Loved that movie and the soundtrack; one of the very best. I am reasonably adept at mimicking accents and voices and regularly, to my kids annoyance and amusement in equal measure, repeat those words in his voice to certain circumstances. I could do it now but not yet not yet:rolleyes:

I am going to have to watch it now!!:w

Just watched that final seen again and as soon as that soaring ,beautiful piece of music begins I start to cry! What a wuss! Will watch the whole film but not yet not yet!

Last edited:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Gladiator was a good piece of cinematographic entertainment, albeit so terribly incorrect historically speaking that is . . . .

Commodus was actually killed by the wrestler Narcissus, (and certainly not Maximus) but only after Commodus' wife had tried (unsuccessfully ) to poison the poor chap.

Marcus Aurelius actually never ever banned Gladiatorial contests having seen them as bread and circuses for the masses (panem et circenses) as a distraction from the state of the Empire at the time.

Let's not even "go there" when it comes to the "latin" mixed with Italian used in the movie . . . .

Roma victor . . . . really?

mikench

Reaction score
......but since when did facts get in the way of a good story. It was a great great film with a brilliant Zimmer soundtrack and great CGI. Just great!:rolleyes:

Pure escapism and we all need that!

maurice walsh

Reaction score
well done mike:thumbs:,congrats indeed, a first double of any species that grows into big weights is a huge milestone, keep it up n you never know what you will get, you only need to get lucky once to get the fish of a lifetime, as for the music in the movie, it is sung by lisa gerrard from the land down under, she does not sing in any language known but by her own testimony "makes noise that she feels should go with the music", heres an example of her from "black hawk down " with denez prigent who sings in the northern french/breton language, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7HKktNbUCQ , this song is my sign off for my radio show as tribute to a departed friend, lisa gerrad has lots of stuff on youtube, not all of it is slow n haunting, get youtubeing mike:D

flossy

Reaction score
Top angling Mike ,keep them coming ,tight lines.