Unhooking mat

mikench

Reaction score
Now I am not getting carried away I promise. I bought a cheap NGT mat which I have always used and I would like another one as a spare. Mine stinks and takes ages to really dry out! It is great by the way and like all NGT stuff(imho) it offers great value and good quality. It is only 10mm thick!

I like the look of their beanie mat which is a little bigger and has more padding and also the Korum delux roll mat! Does anyone have experience of these or can recommend any alternatives?

I need to be ready for Moby ****:rolleyes:

Last edited:

john step

Reaction score
Here is one idea I have used.
Its handy in winter OR WHEN when drying is a problem.
Its only suitable for smaller mats - the type you are mobile with.
Its definitely one the tackle tarts will sneer at so keep a stiff upper lip.

Get a very strong rubble sack and put the mat inside. If its too long use two- one at each end and then tape any ends and gaps with elephant tape.

You will then have a wipe down mat that can be wiped with disinfectant to kill smells.

Bright blue/pink sacks seem to wind them up most.:wh:wh:wh

mikench

Reaction score
Which colour is best:) Actually I am a bit of a tackle tart so will probably go with a new mat. I might try a mail sack as we have loads in the office!

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Chunky bubble wrap makes a good unhooking matt...not so good on windy days though lol.

peterjg

Reaction score
Mikench: rub or paint some boiled linseed oil into your unhooking mat. Let it thoroughly dry - the best and quickest way is to hang it up in a green house to dry. The 'blo' will cure and become a waterprooof and easy wipe clean surface. It will not hurt the fish but do wet the mat before lowering your landing net with fish on it especially in hot weather.

The 'blo' is not for mats with a rubberised type finish.

carpinbob

Reaction score
I got the Nash h gun beanie mat ,well padded and large enough for fish up to the mid 20,s. Not bad price either.