Time for roach?

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Me and my fishing bury fished today from 2 till 7
He when for carp I fished a light set up for roach

Results he had one carp early on and roach in the last hour when he fished for roach

Me a good bag of roach with bites all the time

So is it time yo go for roach or still a month left to get carp

Chefster

Reaction score
Me and my fishing bury fished today from 2 till 7
He when for carp I fished a light set up for roach

Results he had one carp early on and roach in the last hour when he fished for roach

Me a good bag of roach with bites all the time

So is it time yo go for roach or still a month left to get carp
still plenty of carp to be caught for a few months yet:)

robtherake

Reaction score
This is the time of year for the biggest roach on my favourite redfin pool. They can be caught all winter long in smaller numbers from the deepest water (14-15ft) but right now they're suckers for maggot fished shallow under a constant rain of grubs. This is one of those venues where they roll in the early evenings - which makes finding them child's play - and they'll keep up this behaviour until it gets properly cold. Keeping the little swines on the hook is quite another matter, however. :rolleyes:

Season ticket numbers are limited to 30 and day tickets are no longer available so it should be even quieter than usual this autumn - perfick.:D

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Carp can be caught all year even in December, historically I have had some good carp fishing in December when the conditions were good and only on commercials, some being better than others for winter carp however, I don't fish for them much now.
Roach available all year as well but in the really cold its usually only a few small ones I found. But January can be very good for roach, they come alive a bit after their lull in a very cold December; I think they have had plenty of time to acclimatize by then and get a bit hungry. But now through to December should be very good for roach although not knowing what the weather does these days can put all this out of kilter.
October sometimes good for last gasp Crucians and mild November days for last gasp Rudd I have found. But again who knows with the weather these days, was last December a record mild one?
However, the best winter fish by far are chub in my opinion, they will feed in all temperatures, I know some very good winter chub hot spots and they rarely let me down for one or two good fish.
I shall probably be braving the beach more this winter, bass to December, some big lurkers turn up sometimes, cod and whiting, dabs, hopefully the chip shop will be open on my way home ...

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
I am going for roach using a helicopter rig and a light weight. I am going to copy a rig on YouTube from Gardner tackle!