Centre pins and line

mikench

Reaction score
On an old post someone suggests removing line from a centre pin after every session! Is this common practice and necessary! This could be the one thing that would really put me off! I never like putting line on a reel in the first place!

trotter2

Reaction score
Some people do that to stop the line becoming kinked by the line lays on a reel like an Adcock or an Aerial. Solid drum reels like the new okuma reels do not have this problem.
I use a match aerial for all my centrepin use it has line lays its something which does not bother me as after a few trots and a couple of fish the line is straight.
Its one off those things personally I would not worry about it either way.
Just get on with it

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
On an old post someone suggests removing line from a centre pin after every session! Is this common practice and necessary! This could be the one thing that would really put me off! I never like putting line on a reel in the first place!

That would most likely have been me Mike. It certainly isn't a necessity but I prefer to do it. Often i'm targeting barbel in very rocky swims and my line takes serious stick. Some of the swims I fish are long and I often hook barbel anything from 20 yards up to a hundred yards downstream. When bringing fish back from that sort of distance the line is dragged and scraped against rocks and god only knows what else so it's in my own interest to change it before my next trotting outing.
It takes me about 2 min's to remove the old line and about the same or less to spool up fresh.
I do like the feel of new line and because I buy bulk spools which I pick up for about 7 or 8 notes it only costs a couple of pence to do it.

swizzle

Reaction score
That would most likely have been me Mike. It certainly isn't a necessity but I prefer to do it. Often i'm targeting barbel in very rocky swims and my line takes serious stick. Some of the swims I fish are long and I often hook barbel anything from 20 yards up to a hundred yards downstream. When bringing fish back from that sort of distance the line is dragged and scraped against rocks and god only knows what else so it's in my own interest to change it before my next trotting outing.
It takes me about 2 min's to remove the old line and about the same or less to spool up fresh.
I do like the feel of new line and because I buy bulk spools which I pick up for about 7 or 8 notes it only costs a couple of pence to do it.

Gordon Bennett, surely you aren't watching a float at 100 yards? Not unless you have telescopes for eyes. :)

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Gordon Bennett, surely you aren't watching a float at 100 yards? Not unless you have telescopes for eyes. :)

Some days you can't see it, other days it's easy to see...no glasses either :).

Keith M

Reaction score
I use my centrepin quite regularly on small winding streams and about 30mtrs is usually the most I can trot a float without it disappearing out of sight around a bend or drifting into a reed bed or an overhanging branch, and because of this I usually only need to strip off the last few feet or yards of my line each time I use my pin; unlike tigger who trots a long way and regularly needs to change his line on his pin each time he uses it.

I usually use my Okuma Sheffield which has a solid drum (which doesn't tend to bed in or kink quite as much as on an open pinned drum after playing heavy fish like Barbel and Carp); and so I am sometimes fairly happy to load up to 100mtrs of line when I want to without too much fear of my line bedding in, so removing just a few feet of line each time I use my pin is not quite as drastic as it could be if I only loaded 50mtrs of line on my pin originally.

NB: I do often only load around 50 to 60 mtrs of line on my pins but that's because I don't mind changing my line fairly often; however not quite as often as tigger does . Lol.

Keith

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
What line are you using Tigger?

I'm not sure I should say mike as bb keeps givin me grief over it ;) LOL

OK, i'll leave me'sell open to an onslaught from bb....I use daiwa sensor, despite what bb says it's good line.
I'm beginning to think I should meet up with bb and show him just how good it is compared to the stuff he pays too much money for :wh ;).

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
And it makes holes in his socks when he does it ;) :D

PMSL...I can't remember telling you that but yeah, you are right, I hold it between me big toes and it burns holes in 'em :D. I have to wear socks as it'll set me toes on fire if I do it bareback :w:w

edsurf

Reaction score

I change mine around every three sessions , as i only spool about 50 metres at a time, its not to expensive and worth it for the presentation. lets face it i live down south and a pint costs more than a 100 mt spool.

swizzle

Reaction score
Some days you can't see it, other days it's easy to see...no glasses either :).

And you still see the subtle plucks on the float at that range? I guess it's down to light conditions and the colour of your float too

bracket

Reaction score
And you still see the subtle plucks on the float at that range? I guess it's down to light conditions and the colour of your float too

I can support this claim. I often trot down 80 to 100yds with a stick float. The trick is to hold back slightly, then you watch the ripple the float makes, not the float tip. My vision, sadly, is not what it was, but I have no difficulty in doing this. Pete.

edsurf

Reaction score
I can support this claim. I often trot down 80 to 100yds with a stick float. The trick is to hold back slightly, then you watch the ripple the float makes, not the float tip. My vision, sadly, is not what it was, but I have no difficulty in doing this. Pete.

One hundred yards is a pretty long trot , a good pitching wedge.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

I don't use stick floats very often, preferring to use a bolo or avon in various sizes, the long sight tip makes it easier to see at range.
When visibility isn't very good and you can't see the float as you say you can still see the ripples as the float drags through, as soon as the ripples stop you know the float has gone under so a strike is called for :).

lutra

Reaction score

I've hooked many a nice barbel and chub on the float with the sun in my eyes and not a clue what my float was doing. Just slow the float down by slowing the centrepin down and wait for the rod to get yanked round. Just like tip fishing really.

Can't believe Tigger just got asked about subtle.I bet he had to google it. :)

mikench

Reaction score
What bs do you use Tigger? I assume it is the same for all your trotting forays and reasonably strong!

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
What bs do you use Tigger? I assume it is the same for all your trotting forays and reasonably strong!

Mike, on the majority of occasions I use 6lb straight through but that's because i'm targeting chub and barbel most of the time. I might use 4lb straight through also. If i'm targeting finicky/shy fish I just add a low diameter hooklength attached via a swivel or loop to loop. I never really use a mainline of less than 4lb and don't use a hooklength below 3lb as it would be pointless.
Obviously some very shy fish may only respond to small hooks and very low diameter lines but I don't really target those very often.

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
Tigger, do you treat the line at all to make it float?

I recently spooled up a centrepin with 8lb sensor in the vain hope that I was going to connect with some barbel. Never managed to hook anything with it but it was really hard going - partly because it seemed like the line wanted to sink all the time which messed things up a bit at any distance, but also because the line itself seemed to behave really badly on the reel, lots of bedding in and small tangles. I took it off and put 5lb bayer perlon on and it's now behaving much better....

Incidentally, I'm a massive fan of daiwa sensor, it's the line I use for all my waggler and bottom fishing.