Fine hooklink material

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I've got meself in a bit of a tizzy over this. I want a fine-ish hooklength material for trotting. Something around 2- 2.5lb bs or 0.10/0.11 mm. I'm not that taken with these hi-tec lines in the smaller diameters...I prefer something with a bit of stretch in it but I'm prepare to give them a go

Trouble is I am way out of touch with this sort of fishing. I've read endless reviews and am not that wiser. So far I've got

Cralluso
Silstar Match Team
Guru N-Guage
Powerline

Any recommendations or views on the following ?

Garbo Line
Aspire Silk Shock
Stroft

Yes...I know....I do get a bit carried away at times but hooks & line are a particular "thing" for me. I have to have complete confidence in them.

I'm not carping. I'm trotting for silvers/grayling/chub etc. 16-20 hooks. Mainline is DFF in 3.2 bs or Dura Flex in 0.14.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I can only offer my comment on the two of those lines that I have used and am very happy with; those being, Silstar Match Team and Powerline.

I must have many dozens of hook lengths premade for trotting using Preston Powerline and I have used it extensively on my pole rigs too.

Having found and used the Powerline I did drop the Silstar line as I think the Preston is rather better, softer and more supple and more forgiving on the strike.

Those are just my opinions and I'm sure others will differ . . . . .

mikench

Reaction score
Barbelboi recommended a mono from Italy not necessarily for hooklengths and i bought some as a main line. It is very fine and may be suitable but the opinion of Barbelboi is to the one to follow and not mine;)

I use it for general fishing and like it so far. I wish I could remember what it was called!:rolleyes:

rayner

Reaction score
I prefer hi tech hook lengths, so long as my reel line has stretch to safeguard my thin hook links all is good for me.

mikench

Reaction score
It is available in 4lb bs (0.13)! I call that fine as any thinner gets mistaken for more of my hair falling out;)

john step

Reaction score
Preston Reflo is pretty good. The 3.6 and 4.7 lb bs fool the silver fish OK. and has enough backbone to defeat the odd chub.

trotter2

Reaction score
Most of the match lads use Preston. But I also like stroft as well.
Either are very good ,the stroft is bang on dia,Preston stuff is thicker than stated on the spool.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
I only use two for trotting, Silstar and Reflo Power.

Power line should do you fine Skippy, just right for your Eels :wh:eek:mg::D

Last edited:

peterjg

Reaction score
Reflo Power might be worth try. I currently use it for hooklinks. I have tested it and the 0.13mm actually breaks when knotted at 3lbs 4ozs and the 0.10mm actually breaks at 2lbs 5ozs. Knots used in testing were a double figure of eight knot. There is a bit of stretch (not too much), it knots well and the colour is a sort of matt clear. The diameters are accurate on my micrometer.

soft plastic

Reaction score
Another fan of Reflo Power here. Use it almost exclusively, plenty of stretch in it. Fine, strong and knots well.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

bracket

Reaction score
I'm with petergj on this. I use PI Reflo Power for trotting, usually 0.13 dia with an 8 inch length hook to a 22 or 20 and cannot fault it. Gets most things out that I hit. Pete.

lutra

Reaction score
Going to have to give reflo power another vote. Thin enough, strong enough, a bit of stretch, clear and knots well. What boxes are left to tick?

0.11 has been very a reliable general trotting hooklength for me over the last few years. Landed me everything from nice bags of silvers and chub to many brutal barbel, inc a few doubles and even an odd rouge salmon or two. (touch wood) I've not snapped it on a fish yet.

Even 0.9 can be a good size if I think Bertie is asleep and has landed many a big old greedy winter chub.

robtherake

Reaction score
Gamakatsu G-line for me. It's been replaced by the "improved" Super G-line, with which I had a couple of unexplained breaks. Hopefully they were isolated incidents at a place where the marginal reed stems seem to be somewhat sharp - it has behaved itself since and is nice and supple even at 0.16.