Day shelter recommendations, please.

robtherake

Reaction score
My old Korum shelter (the launch model) has finally given up the ghost. It's fixable, but it really is time for a new one, which will hopefully be lightweight, reasonably compact for transport, deep enough so that my feet stay dry, easy to erect and rock-solid stable. I may just end up with the latest version, but I'd be interested to hear what everyone's recommendations might be. Brolly-type overnighters may be considered, but only if there's no central pole to get in the way. Budget is around £150, although I'd prefer it to be less.

Headroom is important - so I can sit in my Korum chair without hunching over.:D

xenon

Reaction score
was looking over the summer for exactly the spec you list. finally settled on a Nash groundhog brolly-light, not to bulky, easy and quick to erect, no central pole-when pegged down properly its pretty well bombproof and has the option to add on a portable from to turn it into a winter spec bivvy.

chrissh

Reaction score
I have the Korum Fibre space Umbrella it’s quick and easy to put up .very stable in high winds just with the centre pole which can be removed and storm poles fitted it will take 2 Korum size chair or a bed chair . A plus is that it’s light to carry cost around £70.00

rsz_rsz_photo0040.jpg

View image in gallery

carpinbob

Reaction score
I got the new Korum day shelter and it does me just fine.

nova12

Reaction score
Chub 60" oval got second hand for £30 cracking shelter and rock solid some of the light weight stuff is very poor in my opinion the material used gets thinner my opinion

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Rob, after having a really good look earlier at brolly tents this year I got a Wychwood Solstace brolly. It was about 120 notes (I think) give or take a few quid and ebay was the best place to look for them. It has a ten year guarante and is 10,000mm of proofing, well higher than any others which are usually about 3000mm.

dicky123

Reaction score
Rob.

In summer I doubt you need more than a good brolly. In winter unless you fish nights, why would you want much more?

Those from Nash with the sides look really good. I still use a brolly, but don't buy one with fibre glass arms. Mine folded first day out, and has not been the same since WATERLINE would not buy again.

Guess you need light, strong, goes up without fuss, and guarantees maximum protection.

Sounds like you need the Condom from Durex? Sorry couldn't resist.:wh

robtherake

Reaction score
Rob.

In summer I doubt you need more than a good brolly. In winter unless you fish nights, why would you want much more?

Those from Nash with the sides look really good. I still use a brolly, but don't buy one with fibre glass arms. Mine folded first day out, and has not been the same since WATERLINE would not buy again.

Guess you need light, strong, goes up without fuss, and guarantees maximum protection.

Sounds like you need the Condom from Durex? Sorry couldn't resist.:wh

With a shelter there's more room to just chuck everything in the back haphazardly - my swims always look like the aftermath of a bombed tackle shop - and still have space to sit comfortably. I was perfectly happy with the old Korum shelter, which was everything I wanted, really, and lasted a long, long time. Perhaps I've answered my own question, but I was interested in what else was out there and what people thought of it. I have a Badger 60" overnighter (a present), but it weighs a ton, is long and unwieldy and needs a couple of big banksticks/storm poles, which means more to carry/push.

bigtreeste

Reaction score
I have the original korum shelter . It has far bigger storm sides than the new one , more like storm sides with built in ribs in the sides . Mine is now showing its age and will need replacing soon . I have been looking around for somthing to replace it with and the only one that fits the bill is the new ESP low pro . It has the ribs in the stormsides and is free standing as the original korum shelter was (ie no storm rods needed just peg it down).