Reappropriating everyday items...

laguna

Reaction score
You know what I mean, things like fairy washing up bottle tops to be used as droppers, or things like Mum deodorant tops to be used for pole pots.

How about a painted pencil with the top half of the lead removed and used as a loaded stick float, or the wife's stocking foot filled with chopped liver, tied to a big hook for cat fishing? I did that once and caught a carp :eek:mg:

and my favourite as a kid.... raiding the pantry for ingredients to make a groundbait; bread, cornflakes and weetabix! :D

Any other things good for another purpose?

rich66

Reaction score
Bits of tin foil for bite indicators when ledgering. Or old wine cork, hair grip and a bit of cotton if your going for an up market bite indicator
I use bags of wild bird food boiled up as particle bait mixed in with ground bait ( stale bread )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thecrow

Reaction score
Its the other way round in our place, I had a brand new freezer for bait until the wife's went for a burton, snaplock containers that I had for bits of tackle somehow ended up in a kitchen cupboard, I am waiting for her to find a use for bank sticks I'm sure she will :D

terry m

Reaction score
The small Benecol yoghurt tubes/pots make excellent treble hook covers for transporting your rods made up. Just put a lengthways cut along the pot that ends at the centre of the base, using a hacksaw.

And they slip onto wire traces, held in place by the cut,. whilst sliding down over the trebles perfectly

B

binka

I used to drive my ex up the wall by cutting the feet off her tights, to use as a sleeve type of lid for worm buckets which I'd lost the lids to.

They're also good for straining mashed bread :D

laguna

Reaction score
I've just remembered something. When a mate of ours first started pike fishing we told him that pike are attracted to vibrations in the water, so the next time we saw him on the cut he had a towel drapped over his rod?

Underneath that towel was a 12" long pink vibrator strapped to his rod buzzing at full speed! :D

That is a true story by the way.

mikench

Reaction score
The small Benecol yoghurt tubes/pots make excellent treble hook covers for transporting your rods made up. Just put a lengthways cut along the pot that ends at the centre of the base, using a hacksaw.

And they slip onto wire traces, held in place by the cut,. whilst sliding down over the trebles perfectly

.....and they lower colestorol at the same time- perfick

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Still an apple corer in my barbel bag to use as a meat punch...... and I used to carry fibre tip pen tops in various sizes as big bread punches. Mrs S is forever losing her clip top food containers too. I cant think where they are going ! ;)

ken more

Reaction score
I've just remembered something. When a mate of ours first started pike fishing we told him that pike are attracted to vibrations in the water, so the next time we saw him on the cut he had a towel drapped over his rod?

Underneath that towel was a 12" long pink vibrator strapped to his rod buzzing at full speed! :D

That is a true story by the way.

Did he catch ? Or get a pull :eek:

Philip

Reaction score
Back insulated pipe lagging makes perfect rig foam for popping up baits, just hack off a bit big enough to suit what your doing.

Rubber food ties ..are the BEST rod bands you will ever find.

One I never got my head round...those old style film canisters for camera film...those little black tubs with a clip on grey lid. ...I always thought there MUST be an angling use for those! ...but never found one. Some sort of swimfeeder was the best i could come up with.

robertroach

Reaction score
Supermarket plastic bags for weighing your fish. They used to be free but even at 5p they are a steal compared with a weighing sling.

thecrow

Reaction score
One I never got my head round...those old style film canisters for camera film...those little black tubs with a clip on grey lid. ...I always thought there MUST be an angling use for those!

Made some heavy drop off indicators from them years ago, they were part filled with plasticine to provide the weight, another use was to carry one containing washing up liquid for line sinking.

steve2

Reaction score
I have used Tesco own brand muesli for groundbait it works well. Also found that that No Mess Bird Seed works.

laguna

Reaction score
Nail varnished matches become waterproof! You never know when you might need em, or maybe you can keep em in that film canister Philip with some cotton wool tinder? :)

maurice walsh

Reaction score
old spoons turned into new pike spoons:wh add bit of mammys nail paint n a fancy new spoon was had :D:D:D the local beer houses used to keep proper corks for me for float making( mostly bodied wagglers with butchers skewers inserted ) the affore mintioned film pots were drilled weights/hook/swivel/etc holders, elastic bands for line clips and moveable salmon/pike float stops, a bit of funky coloured wool on the hook end of a spoon/wobbler/spinner was always a way to change up a tired/old lure, likewise a wrap of foil/silver/gold paper/tinsel, well chewed white gum shaped like a maggot was used many a time for catching live bait:eek:mg: ill stop now:doh:

mikench

Reaction score
I still use plastic take away containers for ground bait and tackle. They are light and stackable and you can see at a glance what is inside.

ken more

Reaction score
I still use plastic take away containers for ground bait and tackle. They are light and stackable and you can see at a glance what is inside.

One or two of them are more than enough for a good day's fishing, unless you are off your head and believe that you need to throw ton's of bait in:eek::)

laguna

Reaction score
I use those for my deadbaits to keep the stink in and prevent passing dogs having a munch, any not used gets refrozen :thumbs:

seth49

Reaction score
I needed something to make filling PVA bags easier, so I cut a section from the middle of a 1 and1/2 litre coke bottle, cut it up the length of the tube, and then took another inch or so of the edge.

The tube you have left, if you squeeze it, the sides roll round one and another, making the tube narrower, if you put this in the bag and release it, it expands to fit the bag perfectly, then just fill and remove the tube, sorted.

jasonbean1

Reaction score
When I was a kid we used to use coke ring pulls for bobbins, with a bit of bread paste mounded on to it for weight. When you got a screaming run you'd here it ping off the rod.