I got a new rod yesterday....

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Over a year on I've had a chance to use my Tricast Allerton stick float rod a great deal and love using it with 2 to 2.5lb line on the river for roach and dace. The 'grating' that Tigger reported I also had and proved to be the old bugbear of varnish on the rings, easily cured with a scalpel. It's a very different rod to my old Daiwa stick float rods, more like a much lighter (less top-heavy) version of my original Bruce and Walker John Dean stick float rod. I've used it mainly with stick floats but it will work with light wagglers at close range (the B&W John Dean rod was surprisingly good for waggler fishing). It's not a rod to suit all tastes and I'd say wasted on lines over 3lbs and doesn't stop me using other rods when the fancy takes me. Best fish landed so far include decent chub and bream, and pike to 10lbs.

mikench

Reaction score
I like mine but not used it on the river as yet! I have used it with a pin and had quite a few nice tench and a carp of about 6lb! I am unsure how old the rod is as I bought it second hand. It has nice purple whippings and a grey metallic finish to the blank!

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Over a year on I've had a chance to use my Tricast Allerton stick float rod a great deal and love using it with 2 to 2.5lb line on the river for roach and dace. The 'grating' that Tigger reported I also had and proved to be the old bugbear of varnish on the rings, easily cured with a scalpel. It's a very different rod to my old Daiwa stick float rods, more like a much lighter (less top-heavy) version of my original Bruce and Walker John Dean stick float rod. I've used it mainly with stick floats but it will work with light wagglers at close range (the B&W John Dean rod was surprisingly good for waggler fishing). It's not a rod to suit all tastes and I'd say wasted on lines over 3lbs and doesn't stop me using other rods when the fancy takes me. Best fish landed so far include decent chub and bream, and pike to 10lbs.

There where no bits of varnish on the guieds on my rod, not on the actual eyes at least. The noise was nothing to worry about anyhow.

mikench

Reaction score
How are you getting on with your last new rod acquisition Ian?:) By the way did the guy who ran the work party have a bad accident ?

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
How are you getting on with your last new rod acquisition Ian?:) By the way did the guy who ran the work party have a bad accident ?

The last rod I got was a Dave Harrell daiwa RS PF and if i'm honest I really don't like it...wish hadn't bought it !

Which WP Mike, the one you did with me was my WP?

rob48

Reaction score
Sorry to open such an old thread, but! I'm interested in the finer rod, the one designed as a stick float rod. 13' with lines up to 5lb spliced tip, not the bigger waggler version. I have the Acolyte plus for that.

Anyone tried the lighter version please?

Rich.

Hi there.
5lb bs is nearly double the strongest line I'd use for stick float work. As for rods, the Browning spliced-tip are the best on the market that I've seen and used.