FishingMagic Forums


Go Back   FishingMagic Forums > FRESHWATER FISHING FORUMS > Coarse Fishing
Register Forums Blogs FAQ Calendar Arcade Search Mark Forums Read



Like Tree55Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 16-02-2017, 18:49
tigger's Avatar
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4,478
tigger is on a distinguished road
Default I got a new rod yesterday....

There seems to be a fair bit of rod talk going on on the forum just recently and with a bit of chit chat about Tricast rods. Anyhow, I went to have a look at a Tricast 13ft John Allerton Waggler rod yesterday and finished up bringing it home with me .
As you can imagine I was eager to get out and give it a workout this afternoon . Things didn't look too promising with the threat of heavy rain and the nasty winds blowing about. Things didn't look good on the river either when after trying numerous swims with no bites and then I eventually hooked a fish it promptly came off . Another few barren swims later and "at last" I hooked a fish but again it was a long release and I was feeling a little dejected to say the least. I decided to return to my very first swim for one last go before I sulked off home. This swim was a long shallow run and I could trott over 80 yards if need be. The depth was about 2 to 3ft so I slid the float to about 6ft depth and kept the float from pulling under by holding it back just enough so the pressure of the water pushed the line below it and dragged the bait and weighs along the bottom. My plan worked and the float twitched a bit and them slid sideways beneath the surface, I struck into a fish that shook it's head a few times then my line went solid....bloody chubs got in a snag I thought. I allowed the line to go slack a little hoping to encourage the chub to move which it did and it powered for the bank side cover, "effin' big chub this" I thought to myself...blimey, a record chub lol. This was the rods first fish and it was certainly having it's metal tested ! I landed the fish ok and it was a chunky little barbel so a great fish to christen the rod with . Very next trott through and the float slid under again and another barbel came to the net. Several trotts through later and another barbel came to the net . It was another ten or more minutes before the float went under again and another barbel was hooked, problem was it was foul hooked in it's pelvic fin and was a nightmare to get in. Anyone familiar with catching barbel on the float rod will most likely have had the odd few foul hooked fish and will know just how awkward it is when you've played the fish out and then it just floats up to the surface and you have to try and drag it upstream against the flow...gotta watch you don't snap your rod! I did get the fish but just removed the hook with a small scissor forcep as it was in the water in front of me, as soon as the hook was out it bolted off giving me a shower. I left the other three resting in the landing net so was able to take a pic of them all together.....

one..

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

two...

Click the image to open in full size.

all three...

Click the image to open in full size.


I did get one small chub just before I came home....

Click the image to open in full size.

Overall the rod was nice to use but the handle which was a concern of mine did prove to be a little uncomfortable (for me at least), maybe i'll get used to it but it's deffo not as good in the hand as my other rod handles. The rod had a good amount of power and a nice progressive action which went into a nice through action under pressure. I need to use the rod a few times really to get a true feel of it but going off today it's a very capable rod and coped with the barbel well enough, I look forward to giving it another go especially in the summer months and with larger barbel.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 16-02-2017, 21:54
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Uk
Posts: 798
thames mudlarker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: I got a new rod yesterday....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigger View Post
There seems to be a fair bit of rod talk going on on the forum just recently and with a bit of chit chat about Tricast rods. Anyhow, I went to have a look at a Tricast 13ft John Allerton Waggler rod yesterday and finished up bringing it home with me .
As you can imagine I was eager to get out and give it a workout this afternoon . Things didn't look too promising with the threat of heavy rain and the nasty winds blowing about. Things didn't look good on the river either when after trying numerous swims with no bites and then I eventually hooked a fish it promptly came off . Another few barren swims later and "at last" I hooked a fish but again it was a long release and I was feeling a little dejected to say the least. I decided to return to my very first swim for one last go before I sulked off home. This swim was a long shallow run and I could trott over 80 yards if need be. The depth was about 2 to 3ft so I slid the float to about 6ft depth and kept the float from pulling under by holding it back just enough so the pressure of the water pushed the line below it and dragged the bait and weighs along the bottom. My plan worked and the float twitched a bit and them slid sideways beneath the surface, I struck into a fish that shook it's head a few times then my line went solid....bloody chubs got in a snag I thought. I allowed the line to go slack a little hoping to encourage the chub to move which it did and it powered for the bank side cover, "effin' big chub this" I thought to myself...blimey, a record chub lol. This was the rods first fish and it was certainly having it's metal tested ! I landed the fish ok and it was a chunky little barbel so a great fish to christen the rod with . Very next trott through and the float slid under again and another barbel came to the net. Several trotts through later and another barbel came to the net . It was another ten or more minutes before the float went under again and another barbel was hooked, problem was it was foul hooked in it's pelvic fin and was a nightmare to get in. Anyone familiar with catching barbel on the float rod will most likely have had the odd few foul hooked fish and will know just how awkward it is when you've played the fish out and then it just floats up to the surface and you have to try and drag it upstream against the flow...gotta watch you don't snap your rod! I did get the fish but just removed the hook with a small scissor forcep as it was in the water in front of me, as soon as the hook was out it bolted off giving me a shower. I left the other three resting in the landing net so was able to take a pic of them all together.....

one..

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

two...

Click the image to open in full size.

all three...

Click the image to open in full size.


I did get one small chub just before I came home....

Click the image to open in full size.

Overall the rod was nice to use but the handle which was a concern of mine did prove to be a little uncomfortable (for me at least), maybe i'll get used to it but it's deffo not as good in the hand as my other rod handles. The rod had a good amount of power and a nice progressive action which went into a nice through action under pressure. I need to use the rod a few times really to get a true feel of it but going off today it's a very capable rod and coped with the barbel well enough, I look forward to giving it another go especially in the summer months and with larger barbel.
Blimey tigger what an awsum catch and in such short sucsession, wonderful stuff, well done.

I know only too well what it's like playing barbel on float rods, I can remember a few years back fishing the Kennet at Aldermaston and hooked into me PB barbel of 12 lb 10 oz on a 13 ft Mitchell float rod and this was also in flood water aswell, never forget it as the fish went berlistic but managed it ok.
tigger and mikench like this.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 16-02-2017, 22:58
dave m's Avatar
Member
 

Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: watching river levels
Posts: 42
dave m is on a distinguished road
Default Re: I got a new rod yesterday....

good write up and catch.
tigger likes this.
__________________
adding to the pool of knowledge for the benefit of all humanity
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 17-02-2017, 08:03
tigger's Avatar
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4,478
tigger is on a distinguished road
Default Re: I got a new rod yesterday....

Quote:
Originally Posted by thames mudlarker View Post
Blimey tigger what an awsum catch and in such short sucsession, wonderful stuff, well done.

I know only too well what it's like playing barbel on float rods, I can remember a few years back fishing the Kennet at Aldermaston and hooked into me PB barbel of 12 lb 10 oz on a 13 ft Mitchell float rod and this was also in flood water aswell, never forget it as the fish went berlistic but managed it ok.

That's a good sized fish TM and even better to catch it float fishing, my best float caught barbel is nearly a pound under that 11lb 13 ounce, here it is...

Click the image to open in full size.
thames mudlarker likes this.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 17-02-2017, 10:12
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Uk
Posts: 798
thames mudlarker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: I got a new rod yesterday....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigger View Post
That's a good sized fish TM and even better to catch it float fishing, my best float caught barbel is nearly a pound under that 11lb 13 ounce, here it is...

Click the image to open in full size.
Lovely looking fish and proper classic pic with the rod, pin and stick

Nice one tigger
tigger likes this.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 17-02-2017, 10:28
tigger's Avatar
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4,478
tigger is on a distinguished road
Default Re: I got a new rod yesterday....

Quote:
Originally Posted by thames mudlarker View Post
Lovely looking fish and proper classic pic with the rod, pin and stick

Nice one tigger
Thanks ML, The reel is a Chris Lythe Float Master...lovely reel to use .
thames mudlarker likes this.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 17-02-2017, 10:39
Mark Wintle's Avatar
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Azide the Stour
Posts: 3,381
Mark Wintle is on a distinguished road
Default Re: I got a new rod yesterday....

Nice fish, Tigger, and a very nice rod as well. My wife bought me the spliced tip version for my 60th birthday which I have christened with a couple of decent chub. Yet to get totally used to the handle and I can't modify this one easily. Take the plastic off the handle though!

Unable to fish for while and not allowed to drive for 4 weeks due to a health crisis this week so using it more extensively will have to wait.
tigger and thames mudlarker like this.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 17-02-2017, 10:56
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Uk
Posts: 798
thames mudlarker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: I got a new rod yesterday....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Wintle View Post
Nice fish, Tigger, and a very nice rod as well. My wife bought me the spliced tip version for my 60th birthday which I have christened with a couple of decent chub. Yet to get totally used to the handle and I can't modify this one easily. Take the plastic off the handle though!

Unable to fish for while and not allowed to drive for 4 weeks due to a health crisis this week so using it more extensively will have to wait.
Hope you get well and back on the mend soon mark

Hopefully you might be able to get out towards the very back end of the river season, definitely my favourite time

Be lucky mate,
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 17-02-2017, 11:34
tigger's Avatar
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4,478
tigger is on a distinguished road
Default Re: I got a new rod yesterday....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Wintle View Post
Nice fish, Tigger, and a very nice rod as well. My wife bought me the spliced tip version for my 60th birthday which I have christened with a couple of decent chub. Yet to get totally used to the handle and I can't modify this one easily. Take the plastic off the handle though!

Unable to fish for while and not allowed to drive for 4 weeks due to a health crisis this week so using it more extensively will have to wait.
Thank's Mark , another FM member has only recently got the spliced tip version, infact he got two, he's gone rod mad .
The reason I got the waggler rod was due to it having an 8lb line rating so a little bit more power than the spliced tip rods.

Sorry to hear about your health problem, fingers crossed for you a speedy recovery, you'll be back out putting a bend in that rod before you know it .
thames mudlarker likes this.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 17-02-2017, 18:17
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,179
trotter2 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: I got a new rod yesterday....

I was going to ask why you went for the waggler version Ian you answered
my question.

It's a rod I have never had so keep the comments coming Ian very interested mate on long term tests on that one.
tigger and thames mudlarker like this.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On









Loading



All times are GMT. The time now is 19:59.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
2000-2017 Fish&Fly Ltd

Clubs vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.