I got a new rod yesterday....

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
There seems to be a fair bit of rod talk going on on the forum just recently and with a bit of chit chat about Tricast rods. Anyhow, I went to have a look at a Tricast 13ft John Allerton Waggler rod yesterday and finished up bringing it home with me :eek:mg:.
As you can imagine I was eager to get out and give it a workout this afternoon :D. Things didn't look too promising with the threat of heavy rain and the nasty winds blowing about. Things didn't look good on the river either when after trying numerous swims with no bites and then I eventually hooked a fish it promptly came off :mad:. Another few barren swims later and "at last" I hooked a fish but again it was a long release and I was feeling a little dejected to say the least. I decided to return to my very first swim for one last go before I sulked off home. This swim was a long shallow run and I could trott over 80 yards if need be. The depth was about 2 to 3ft so I slid the float to about 6ft depth and kept the float from pulling under by holding it back just enough so the pressure of the water pushed the line below it and dragged the bait and weighs along the bottom. My plan worked and the float twitched a bit and them slid sideways beneath the surface, I struck into a fish that shook it's head a few times then my line went solid....bloody chubs got in a snag I thought. I allowed the line to go slack a little hoping to encourage the chub to move which it did and it powered for the bank side cover, "effin' big chub this" I thought to myself...blimey, a record chub lol. This was the rods first fish and it was certainly having it's metal tested ! I landed the fish ok and it was a chunky little barbel so a great fish to christen the rod with :D. Very next trott through and the float slid under again and another barbel came to the net. Several trotts through later and another barbel came to the net :cool:. It was another ten or more minutes before the float went under again and another barbel was hooked, problem was it was foul hooked in it's pelvic fin and was a nightmare to get in. Anyone familiar with catching barbel on the float rod will most likely have had the odd few foul hooked fish and will know just how awkward it is when you've played the fish out and then it just floats up to the surface and you have to try and drag it upstream against the flow...gotta watch you don't snap your rod! I did get the fish but just removed the hook with a small scissor forcep as it was in the water in front of me, as soon as the hook was out it bolted off giving me a shower. I left the other three resting in the landing net so was able to take a pic of them all together.....

one..

two...

all three...

I did get one small chub just before I came home....

Overall the rod was nice to use but the handle which was a concern of mine did prove to be a little uncomfortable (for me at least), maybe i'll get used to it but it's deffo not as good in the hand as my other rod handles. The rod had a good amount of power and a nice progressive action which went into a nice through action under pressure. I need to use the rod a few times really to get a true feel of it but going off today it's a very capable rod and coped with the barbel well enough, I look forward to giving it another go especially in the summer months and with larger barbel.

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
There seems to be a fair bit of rod talk going on on the forum just recently and with a bit of chit chat about Tricast rods. Anyhow, I went to have a look at a Tricast 13ft John Allerton Waggler rod yesterday and finished up bringing it home with me :eek:mg:.
As you can imagine I was eager to get out and give it a workout this afternoon :D. Things didn't look too promising with the threat of heavy rain and the nasty winds blowing about. Things didn't look good on the river either when after trying numerous swims with no bites and then I eventually hooked a fish it promptly came off :mad:. Another few barren swims later and "at last" I hooked a fish but again it was a long release and I was feeling a little dejected to say the least. I decided to return to my very first swim for one last go before I sulked off home. This swim was a long shallow run and I could trott over 80 yards if need be. The depth was about 2 to 3ft so I slid the float to about 6ft depth and kept the float from pulling under by holding it back just enough so the pressure of the water pushed the line below it and dragged the bait and weighs along the bottom. My plan worked and the float twitched a bit and them slid sideways beneath the surface, I struck into a fish that shook it's head a few times then my line went solid....bloody chubs got in a snag I thought. I allowed the line to go slack a little hoping to encourage the chub to move which it did and it powered for the bank side cover, "effin' big chub this" I thought to myself...blimey, a record chub lol. This was the rods first fish and it was certainly having it's metal tested ! I landed the fish ok and it was a chunky little barbel so a great fish to christen the rod with :D. Very next trott through and the float slid under again and another barbel came to the net. Several trotts through later and another barbel came to the net :cool:. It was another ten or more minutes before the float went under again and another barbel was hooked, problem was it was foul hooked in it's pelvic fin and was a nightmare to get in. Anyone familiar with catching barbel on the float rod will most likely have had the odd few foul hooked fish and will know just how awkward it is when you've played the fish out and then it just floats up to the surface and you have to try and drag it upstream against the flow...gotta watch you don't snap your rod! I did get the fish but just removed the hook with a small scissor forcep as it was in the water in front of me, as soon as the hook was out it bolted off giving me a shower. I left the other three resting in the landing net so was able to take a pic of them all together.....

one..

two...

all three...

I did get one small chub just before I came home....

Overall the rod was nice to use but the handle which was a concern of mine did prove to be a little uncomfortable (for me at least), maybe i'll get used to it but it's deffo not as good in the hand as my other rod handles. The rod had a good amount of power and a nice progressive action which went into a nice through action under pressure. I need to use the rod a few times really to get a true feel of it but going off today it's a very capable rod and coped with the barbel well enough, I look forward to giving it another go especially in the summer months and with larger barbel.

Blimey tigger what an awsum catch and in such short sucsession, wonderful stuff, well done.

I know only too well what it's like playing barbel on float rods, I can remember a few years back fishing the Kennet at Aldermaston and hooked into me PB barbel of 12 lb 10 oz on a 13 ft Mitchell float rod and this was also in flood water aswell, never forget it as the fish went berlistic but managed it ok.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Blimey tigger what an awsum catch and in such short sucsession, wonderful stuff, well done.

I know only too well what it's like playing barbel on float rods, I can remember a few years back fishing the Kennet at Aldermaston and hooked into me PB barbel of 12 lb 10 oz on a 13 ft Mitchell float rod and this was also in flood water aswell, never forget it as the fish went berlistic but managed it ok.

That's a good sized fish TM and even better to catch it float fishing, my best float caught barbel is nearly a pound under that 11lb 13 ounce, here it is...

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
That's a good sized fish TM and even better to catch it float fishing, my best float caught barbel is nearly a pound under that 11lb 13 ounce, here it is...

Lovely looking fish and proper classic pic with the rod, pin and stick :D

Nice one tigger :thumbs:

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Nice fish, Tigger, and a very nice rod as well. My wife bought me the spliced tip version for my 60th birthday which I have christened with a couple of decent chub. Yet to get totally used to the handle and I can't modify this one easily. Take the plastic off the handle though!

Unable to fish for while and not allowed to drive for 4 weeks due to a health crisis this week so using it more extensively will have to wait.

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
Nice fish, Tigger, and a very nice rod as well. My wife bought me the spliced tip version for my 60th birthday which I have christened with a couple of decent chub. Yet to get totally used to the handle and I can't modify this one easily. Take the plastic off the handle though!

Unable to fish for while and not allowed to drive for 4 weeks due to a health crisis this week so using it more extensively will have to wait.

Hope you get well and back on the mend soon mark :thumbs:

Hopefully you might be able to get out towards the very back end of the river season, definitely my favourite time :D

Be lucky mate,

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

Thank's Mark :), another FM member has only recently got the spliced tip version, infact he got two, he's gone rod mad ;) :D.
The reason I got the waggler rod was due to it having an 8lb line rating so a little bit more power than the spliced tip rods.

Sorry to hear about your health problem, fingers crossed for you a speedy recovery, you'll be back out putting a bend in that rod before you know it ;).

trotter2

Reaction score
I was going to ask why you went for the waggler version Ian you answered
my question.:)

It's a rod I have never had so keep the comments coming Ian very interested mate on long term tests on that one.

thames mudlarker

Reaction score

It's a rod I have never had so keep the comments coming Ian very interested mate on long term tests on that one.

I suppose the rod has definitely proved its point at being a powerful powerhouse trotting rod and capable of copping with upto around 8 lb mainline through the guides smoothly,

In respect I can clearly see the hype about the rod :D does sound nice

trotter2

Reaction score
I have two allertons both spliced tip rods,its the waggler version that I have not got or indeed tried. Hence my reason for asking on some long term feedback.
If its anything like the others it will be a cracking rod I am sure.
Bloody brilliant catch Ian well done. Wish I had fishing like that up north.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

Yeah, i'll deffo update my opinions on the rod Trotter. I know the rod is rated to 8lb line but I used my usual "6lb sensor" which has a higher B/S than it's 6lb rating, probably nearer to the 8lb than 6lb in reality so it was just right really. The line did make some odd noises on the guides as it was wound back in under pressure, similar to braid which did confuse me a little. I had a quick look at it for friction damage but didn't notice any. I don't know what make of guides Tricast use, I hope they're fuji's. I wish tricast had used a double leg guide or two on the bottom section....the rod has single leg all the way from top to bottom, I can live with it though :).
I was able to pick line up perfectly well when mending it and was able to strike ok with the float at 70 plus yards downstream. I've never used one of the Allerton spliced tip rods but in all honesty i'm not a lover of spliced tip rods, just a personal thing. I feel that the spliced tips may just be a little too fragile for my style of sweeping strikes etc.

lutra

Reaction score
Yeah, i'll deffo update my opinions on the rod Trotter. I know the rod is rated to 8lb line but I used my usual "6lb sensor" which has a higher B/S than it's 6lb rating, probably nearer to the 8lb than 6lb in reality so it was just right really. The line did make some odd noises on the guides as it was wound back in under pressure, similar to braid which did confuse me a little. I had a quick look at it for friction damage but didn't notice any. I don't know what make of guides Tricast use, I hope they're fuji's. I wish tricast had used a double leg guide or two on the bottom section....the rod has single leg all the way from top to bottom, I can live with it though :).
I was able to pick line up perfectly well when mending it and was able to strike ok with the float at 70 plus yards downstream. I've never used one of the Allerton spliced tip rods but in all honesty i'm not a lover of spliced tip rods, just a personal thing. I feel that the spliced tips may just be a little too fragile for my style of sweeping strikes etc.

Nice catch Ian.

I always thought the point of a spliced in soft solid tip was because they are more robust than fine hollow tips.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Nice catch Ian.

I always thought the point of a spliced in soft solid tip was because they are more robust than fine hollow tips.

Thank's Brian :).

I don't think so Brian, i'm sure a spliced tip has more chance of breaking off on hard strikes.
I think rods originally had splices put into them because they couldn't make hollow tips slim enough to cushion the strike for stick float fishing....I could be wrong mind but that's what i've always thought.

lutra

Reaction score

I don't think so Brian, i'm sure a spliced tip has more chance of breaking off on hard strikes.
I think rods originally had splices put into them because they couldn't make hollow tips slim enough to cushion the strike for stick float fishing....I could be wrong mind but that's what i've always thought.

I'm sure it's been done Ian, but I can't say I've heard of it and deffo not as common as having 2" missing from the end of a light hollow tipped match rod.

thames mudlarker

Reaction score

Yep yer right there tigger, I've used a few of the early spliced tip rods in me early years of stick float fishing and this is exactly was what I was informed about them and yes mate they certainly did give the soft cushion effort on the strike,

They were designed like this because yer traditional waggler type rods were a little stiff especially once carbon came on the scene, nowadays with the modern technology the tips of some rods are now a lot softer for stick float fishing but there's also now the choice of modern carp pellet waggler rods that are powerful stif tip action type rods. These power pellet waggler rods I'm personally not a great lover of being a bit to stiff and powerful for my liking.

In some cases I wish they still made the float rods with spliced glass tips as I do like these type of rods, I've got a couple of the original glass spliced tip quiver tip rods in me collection but sadly no more of the spliced float rods :(

Occasionally if I'm on a very small stretches of chalk streams IE the upper reaches where I can really only use 9-10 ft rods I sometimes actually use me 9 ft spliced glass quiver rod for trotting stick floats and all jokes to one side many times I've actually found this to be perfect for small river stick float fishing :thumbs:

It's all about what suits the individual I suppose :D

Speak soon

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
I can't say that my experience of spliced tip rods is extensive. There aren't enough about these days to have extensive knowledge unless you were buying lots of them earlier than around the mid 90s. I own one from the early nineties and two modern ones.

However, my understanding of what a spliced tip was trying to achieve is as follows. The aim was to modify a rod action so that it was fast enough for float control and line pick up be maximized whilst having enough softness in the tip to use light lines.

Those talking about sweeping strikes when trotting is precisely what a dedicated trotting rod is trying to avoid. For me, the better trotting rods need little more than a flick of the wrist to set a hook. If a great deal more is required, it's probably better suited as a waggler rod. It's always been the case that a more through actioned rod, better suited to waggler fishing, can be used perfectly successfully for trotting. Many folks have done so for years, even some of the best. What you might find is that they use different striking methods to those using faster actioned/spliced tip rods.

Whether a spliced tip is a requirement now is open to debate. The vast majority of tackle companies certainly don't bother with them any more. Most anglers don't bother either, but how many dedicated trotters are there out there any longer? I suspect that the majority of manufacturers know it's commercial suicide to label a rod as a stick float rod. The last I saw marked as such was the Fox Envoy Stick. That was around in 2008 or so. One thing I do see is a fairly healthy second hand market for old spliced tip stick float rods (MAP Harrells, Daiwas, Harrison GTi spliced, Drennan Sticks etc). I'm certainly content that they can achieve a good action for a trotting rod with a hollow tip. That wasn't necessarily the case in the 80s and early 90s.

I have heard tales of woe with regards to the delicacy of spliced tip rods. I recall tales of "donkey tops" being used to repair splices. I've long suspected that wrap arounds were the main issue. Fortunately, I've not had a problem. Whilst spliced tips may appear delicate, I've not found them to be any the less robust than hollow tips.

How well the splice is done is another matter entirely. The best manage to integrate seamlessly to the hollow part of the rod. The worst have horrible flat spots and terrible integration to the main blank. The very worst I've seen looked like an old Avon rod with a 1/2 ounce glass quiver screwed into the tip ring!:eek:mg: It's a similar story when it comes to quiver tip rods. Many regard full spliced in quivers to give a far superior action to push in tips with a carrier section. How well it actually works is dependent on the skill of the rod designer/builder.

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
I can't say that my experience of spliced tip rods is extensive. There aren't enough about these days to have extensive knowledge unless you were buying lots of them earlier than around the mid 90s. I own one from the early nineties and two modern ones.

However, my understanding of what a spliced tip was trying to achieve is as follows. The aim was to modify a rod action so that it was fast enough for float control and line pick up be maximized whilst having enough softness in the tip to use light lines.

Those talking about sweeping strikes when trotting is precisely what a dedicated trotting rod is trying to avoid. For me, the better trotting rods need little more than a flick of the wrist to set a hook. If a great deal more is required, it's probably better suited as a waggler rod. It's always been the case that a more through actioned rod, better suited to waggler fishing, can be used perfectly successfully for trotting. Many folks have done so for years, even some of the best. What you might find is that they use different striking methods to those using faster actioned/spliced tip rods.

Whether a spliced tip is a requirement now is open to debate. The vast majority of tackle companies certainly don't bother with them any more. Most anglers don't bother either, but how many dedicated trotters are there out there any longer? I suspect that the majority of manufacturers know it's commercial suicide to label a rod as a stick float rod. The last I saw marked as such was the Fox Envoy Stick. That was around in 2008 or so. One thing I do see is a fairly healthy second hand market for old spliced tip stick float rods (MAP Harrells, Daiwas, Harrison GTi spliced, Drennan Sticks etc). I'm certainly content that they can achieve a good action for a trotting rod with a hollow tip. That wasn't necessarily the case in the 80s and early 90s.

I have heard tales of woe with regards to the delicacy of spliced tip rods. I recall tales of "donkey tops" being used to repair splices. I've long suspected that wrap arounds were the main issue. Fortunately, I've not had a problem. Whilst spliced tips may appear delicate, I've not found them to be any the less robust than hollow tips.

How well the splice is done is another matter entirely. The best manage to integrate seamlessly to the hollow part of the rod. The worst have horrible flat spots and terrible integration to the main blank. The very worst I've seen looked like an old Avon rod with a 1/2 ounce glass quiver screwed into the tip ring!:eek:mg: It's a similar story when it comes to quiver tip rods. Many regard full spliced in quivers to give a far superior action to push in tips with a carrier section. How well it actually works is dependent on the skill of the rod designer/builder.

Well I have to say that I do whole heartedly agree Chris, all makes perfect sence and well written :D

If I had a choice I'd love to be able to go back to some of the ( quality ) spliced tip float rids, as you very rightly say how many bother with em now but I suppose this must also coincide with how many true experienced trotting anglers are actually out there these days, probably a few I suppose no doubt but I would say not loads as everything has virtually gone commercial these days,

It certainly proves a point in the fact that how many serious river matches does one actually see these days, again not that many now, mainly due to parking problems I suppose, we see the river fest as a national event but in reality is about it so with this in mind as again you rightly say that not many companies are gonna risk in printing the words stick float on such rods nowadays :D

I've got a few decent trotting rods of various lengths that I'm sure most would be happy with having worked in the tackle trade a few years back and handling and playing about aswell as trying various rods out on the bank I suppose I'm a bit of a trotting rod nut.....lols

I'm always on the lookout for quality rods old and new, it's just the instinct in me :D

Speak soon

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

Yeaph, that's about right Chris, but I don't think it was so much a case of stiffening up the blanks as much as it was softening the tip to prevent light lines cracking off or banging off fish. I really don't get the bumping fish off thing as imo if you hook a fish and it's only a small fish it will just get pulled upin the water or even be pulled out of the surface, i've done it many times :D.

Check out what tricast have to say about the waggler rod....

Carbon Fibre Match Rods - The John Allerton Range From Tri-Cast Fishing

So going off that write up the waggler rod is stiffer than the stick rods but has a hollow tip which is no doubt a little thicker but also a little more robust which suites me.

I compared my spliced tip rods to my waggler rods and if i'm honest I just couldn't see that the strike was any faster at all. If I had found the strike was faster I certainly wouldn't have got shut of my Amorphous Tourney stick supreme.

[=SAM VINES;1410378]

Whether a spliced tip is a requirement now is open to debate.

[/QUOTE]

As far as i've found if i'm fishing at long range i've no choice but to use a sweeping strike in order to set the hook. Obviously the lesser the distance the float is down stream the less power I need to put into the strike...if you get my meaning.
I think if you like the feel of a spliced tip then that's what you should have but having tried both i'm a avid waggler rod user ;)