line problem ...

associatedmatt

Reaction score
i have tried several makes of line and i seem to keep getting line twist and its got memory so stays in the line .

got some guru pulse line on at minute and still the same , tried some sensor too and that twists too but the 10lb i got is really good thats ESP syncro .

i spool the line with the same direction as the spool on the reel .

any sugestions ?

associatedmatt

Reaction score
yes i am im using shimano dl4000's

when feeder fishing dont use the baitrunner but when on alarms im using 6lb this time of year

chrissh

Reaction score
yes i am im using shimano dl4000's

when feeder fishing dont use the baitrunner but when on alarms im using 6lb this time of year

i had the same problems as you i bought the spin buster and use it after a days fishing to take the twist out of the line best £3.50 ive spent in a long time

associatedmatt

Reaction score
so nothing to do with the line just the clutches on the reels ?

im going to be ordering a 40g i think

chrissh

Reaction score

that's the one i got the yellow 40g i re-spooled my reel 3 times before i bought the twist buster it solved the problem.. theirs a clip on youTube about bait runner twisting line

copied from google
Terry Edmonds (Long Range Angler)
May 8, 2013 ·

Line twist
Line twist is an issue many of us have and it can be really annoying, the line becomes uncontrollable flowing of the spool when setting the indicators or causing crack offs when casting. The thicker the line the more uncontrollable it can become.
Before we go on I must put one thing straight, the line does not come twisted and it’s not the fault of the line if it gets twisted, we put the twist into the line so we cause it.
Twist is most commonly caused by using the clutch to play fish, Bait- runners, small spools or incorrect loading of the line when new.
If you have a small spool reel say for example a 5000 sized reel and you want to load 250m of line onto the spool, the bail arm has to rotate around the small spool a lot more times than say a 10,000 sized big pit, every time this rotation is completed it will add some twist. Even the anti- twist rollers will still add some twist, this is a reason a prefer big pits for all my fishing as they work so well with thick lines and the ever so popular fluorocarbon.
Loading the line correctly is vital, there is a lot of people who soak the line in warm water, then wind the line on with the sticker of the bulk spool facing upwards, in my opinion this causes a lot of twist. My preferred method is the old fashioned way, soak the line in warm water for 10mins that get somebody to put a pencil through the bulk spool, and wind on under moderate pressure, I do this by trapping the line in between some damp rag.
Bait runners are terrible for line twist, when you get a take the line is spinning off the clutch and causing lots of twist, usually baitrunner reels have smaller spools than big pits so the twist problem is doubled. I have even seen people bait boat their rigs out, by using a bait runner which is a real disaster.
When playing fish if you can backwind, rather than use your clutch you will help limit line twist a lot.

If you do get line twist you can do a few procedures to help the situation, I often walk out 200 yards of line on a field, and wind back through a wet rag this will help take a lot of stretch out of the line.
Also speaking to my mate Nigel Sharp he ties on a lead with PVA and casts it as far as he can waits for the PVA to melt and reels in through a damp rag, great idea that saves walking
Its really best to look after your line, remember twist isn’t inherent in lines WE cause it.

Last edited:

thames mudlarker

Reaction score

Eaither during the day when fishing casting away from yer baited area or at the end of the day just clip on the spin doctor and give it a good 3-4 casts and this should by rights take the twist out of yer line :thumbs:

As Chrissh rightly says at £3.50 odd it's definitely worth the investment :D

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Lots of info on this and associated subjects under 'search'..........Try 'line twist' or 'line lay' or 'line bedding in' and it may help you understand how one can affect the other..........
The spin doctor is top notch, but the John Wilson method of 'stretching' the line to remove some of the 'spring ' in the line also helps IMHO - well worth looking into the whole subject!

Someone on here be able put the JW method up for you ??

john step

Reaction score
Are you using a baitrunner reel there know for putting twists in line? It’s caused when reeling in when the clutch is slipping or fighting a fish that’s stepping line
Get yourself a Twist Buster Spin Doctor about £3.50
Link
Gardner Twist Buster Spin Doctor - All Sizes Available | eBay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPSZMsAmdtM

I got one after it got mentioned on FM. Brilliant. Saves all that baloney of walking the end of the line a hundred yards and reeling it back through long grass.

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
that's the one i got the yellow 40g i re-spooled my reel 3 times before i bought the twist buster it solved the problem.. theirs a clip on youTube about bait runner twisting line

copied from google
Terry Edmonds (Long Range Angler)
May 8, 2013 ·

Line twist
Line twist is an issue many of us have and it can be really annoying, the line becomes uncontrollable flowing of the spool when setting the indicators or causing crack offs when casting. The thicker the line the more uncontrollable it can become.
Before we go on I must put one thing straight, the line does not come twisted and it’s not the fault of the line if it gets twisted, we put the twist into the line so we cause it.
Twist is most commonly caused by using the clutch to play fish, Bait- runners, small spools or incorrect loading of the line when new.
If you have a small spool reel say for example a 5000 sized reel and you want to load 250m of line onto the spool, the bail arm has to rotate around the small spool a lot more times than say a 10,000 sized big pit, every time this rotation is completed it will add some twist. Even the anti- twist rollers will still add some twist, this is a reason a prefer big pits for all my fishing as they work so well with thick lines and the ever so popular fluorocarbon.
Loading the line correctly is vital, there is a lot of people who soak the line in warm water, then wind the line on with the sticker of the bulk spool facing upwards, in my opinion this causes a lot of twist. My preferred method is the old fashioned way, soak the line in warm water for 10mins that get somebody to put a pencil through the bulk spool, and wind on under moderate pressure, I do this by trapping the line in between some damp rag.
Bait runners are terrible for line twist, when you get a take the line is spinning off the clutch and causing lots of twist, usually baitrunner reels have smaller spools than big pits so the twist problem is doubled. I have even seen people bait boat their rigs out, by using a bait runner which is a real disaster.
When playing fish if you can backwind, rather than use your clutch you will help limit line twist a lot.

If you do get line twist you can do a few procedures to help the situation, I often walk out 200 yards of line on a field, and wind back through a wet rag this will help take a lot of stretch out of the line.
Also speaking to my mate Nigel Sharp he ties on a lead with PVA and casts it as far as he can waits for the PVA to melt and reels in through a damp rag, great idea that saves walking
Its really best to look after your line, remember twist isn’t inherent in lines WE cause it.

Very good write up indeed, thanks for sharing Chrissh :thumbs:

Yea I totally agree that bait runners are probably the worst reels for line twist and aswell as having small spools for the diameter of line that is supposed to be loaded onto em which is why I personally don't like em,
I'm not knocking em as a general reel but definitely not for me as they serve no purpose for my style of fishing :D

A lot of me fishing is trotting or very light marginal ledgering on small rivers and the majority of the time nowadays I'm happy to use me close face Abu 501's,
Reason being that the spool doesn't actually oscillate like most spools as the spools on close face reels are all fixed and don't spin :rolleyes:

The other advantages of the Abu 501 is that it's the only true reel that was originally made for backwinding, all of me fish I play by backwind and this also eliminates line twist :thumbs:

associatedmatt

Reaction score
So I have 2 of a disadvantages already , small spool and bait runners ! But then j mainly fish still waters for carp and tench

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
So I have 2 of a disadvantages already , small spool and bait runners ! But then j mainly fish still waters for carp and tench

If yer carp and tench fishing I'd go for big pit reels which have front drag spools which can be set at the tension you want for when the fish first initially take line,

However if yer fishing for commercial fish that IE maybe a little smaller and the lakes are not particularly that big you could opt for what we call mini pit reels, exactly the same as yer big pits but smaller in the reels body,
The spools are still fairly large but generally shallower as yer not gonna need as much line as the big pit reels if this makes sence :thumbs:

Also Matt don't panic because if you ever do decide to change reels at a later date the big pit or mini pit reels are not necessarily as dear as what one might think, in fact you can get em for as little as £35-40

Last edited:

associatedmatt

Reaction score
When you say pit reels I think you mean big bait runners I also have some 10000 shimanos

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
When you say pit reels I think you mean big bait runners I also have some 10000 shimanos

No mate, when I say pit reels that is exactly what I meant, not baitrunners :rolleyes:

Most carp anglers will know what pit reels are, the large pit reels are basically the same as large beach casting fixed spool reels whilst the mini pits are just a smaller version :thumbs:

Last edited:

shane99

Reaction score
Could only get the 40g one a year or so ago, anyone know where to get the 20g spin doctor ?

robtherake

Reaction score

associatedmatt

Reaction score
If using on a Avon rod I imagine be fine

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I find if I use a spin doctor at the start of a session, I stay virtually 'twist free'. It is a bit of a pain but well worth it IMO....Baitrunners are notorious for causing twist but they do a great job, generally speaking.

Cannot say I've seen a 'black' 20g model, but sounds a good investment for light gear..

shane99

Reaction score
The Twist Busters work very well, but I found the 40g size a bit weighty for lighter rods/lines and bought the black 20 grammer for that, which is ideal.

---------- Post added at 16:53 ---------- Previous post was at 16:52 ----------

Gardner Twist Buster Spin Doctor - All Sizes Available | eBay

Cheers RTR, but again its out of stock. the 40g is far too heavy for my light gear.They dont even do the 20g one on the Gardner website unless I am missing something ?? - need to really search the web now.