Smaller species?

iain t

Reaction score
I got possessed a few years back to catch the smallest fish i could. I was dangling a line in every river, canal and stream i could find. I still have a go at my local canal when the wife is shopping in Chichester. I ended up buying an 5.1/2ft ultra light rod 1 to 5oz with a 50 reel load with half a pound line at the most. Hook with the smallest bit of meat or worm. Whilst great fun it was also very frustrating. Also you all you need is a kiddies fishing net incase you catch a larger fish.

greenie62

Reaction score
I'm now setting my sights to catch the smallest species like minnows and sticklebacks..
My main objective is to catch the smallest bullhead possible from the lower Thames, the problem I have is which tackle to use?

Pole or rod ?

Simon, Did you ever get an answer to this OP?

Also - anyone got any suggestions for the best rod and end-tackle for gudgeon fishing in a commercial fishery with a number of hooligan carp in it?
Am thinking of modifying an old fly rod to give me the feel of a battling gudgeon but with enough forgiveness in it's action to tame a F1 on fine tackle.:eek: Any better ideas?

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
Simon, Did you ever get an answer to this OP?

Also - anyone got any suggestions for the best rod and end-tackle for gudgeon fishing in a commercial fishery with a number of hooligan carp in it?
Am thinking of modifying an old fly rod to give me the feel of a battling gudgeon but with enough forgiveness in it's action to tame a F1 on fine tackle.:eek: Any better ideas?

Hi fella,

The very same rod that I mentioned earlier in yer other thread,

I'd go for a quality picker or something similar like the Shakespeare wand,

If a carp is hooked providing yer careful and don't bully em there should be no real dramas in landing em and of course absolutely perfect for gudgeon :D

greenie62

Reaction score
..The very same rod that I mentioned earlier in yer other thread,

I'd go for a quality picker or something similar ....

:DI'll go out and buy one immediately! :D
(Oh No! I've caught something off the other Mike! :D)
Cheers Stuart!

sam vimes

Reaction score
Re: Smalleer species?

Setrington beck, tributary of the river Derwent :rolleyes:

Settrington Beck may technically be a chalk stream. However, where it's relatively natural, it's barely more than a trickle. Once it tracks down from the Wold tops into the Derwent Valley, it's little more than a highly modified drainage ditch. Real streams and rivers tend not to run in perfectly straight lines with 90 degree bends!

There's also the Gypsey Race in the Bridlington area. Unfortunately, this one is another barely there watercourse. I lived close to it about twenty years back. In places that it was marked on old maps, it hadn't been seen for decades.

From an angling point of view, only Driffield Beck is a viable chalk stream. None of them are anything like the famous southern chalk stream rivers.

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
Re: Smalleer species?

Settrington Beck may technically be a chalk stream. However, where it's relatively natural, it's barely more than a trickle. Once it tracks down from the Wold tops into the Derwent Valley, it's little more than a highly modified drainage ditch. Real streams and rivers tend not to run in perfectly straight lines with 90 degree bends!

There's also the Gypsey Race in the Bridlington area. Unfortunately, this one is another barely there watercourse. I lived close to it about twenty years back. In places that it was marked on old maps, it hadn't been seen for decades.

From an angling point of view, only Driffield Beck is a viable chalk stream. None of them are anything like the famous southern chalk stream rivers.

Oh right ok Sam :thumbs:
I was just informed about Setrington beck a few years back as I was just curious at the time about how many chalk streams actually existed in the north of England :)

Thanks for sharing