Help with river tactics

nova12

Reaction score
Hi is there a way i can fish a river with out going with my heavy barbel gear id like to use a normal feedeer rod 12 foot but the trent requires 6 7 or even 8 oz leads to hold bottom some times i dont want to float fish but can i let a 2oz feeder roll about or will it get snagged up every time?i like my barbel fishing but would be nice to use a quiver instewd of alarms

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
Hi is there a way i can fish a river with out going with my heavy barbel gear id like to use a normal feedeer rod 12 foot but the trent requires 6 7 or even 8 oz leads to hold bottom some times i dont want to float fish but can i let a 2oz feeder roll about or will it get snagged up every time?i like my barbel fishing but would be nice to use a quiver instewd of alarms

Try fishing just a short flick from the margins, you'll probably be able to hold bottom better the closer to the margins you are and also this will mean that you'll possibly get away with less lead because the flow won't be nowhere near as strong :thumbs:

john step

Reaction score
Difficult that one. I suspect you are referring to the lower river. When its like that the tactics can be very crude so although barbelling can be good I do something else.
There are rare spots where you can still fish with lighter weights and a good bow in the line. Get on Google maps and look for the inside of bends.

Personally I wouldn't let a lead roll along on the Tidal or in fact any of the lower river. Much too expensive.

PS Mudlark got in before me so I will add this. His advice is spot on for some rivers and very well meant. However anyone who knows the Lower Trent will know of the boulders and rocks put there all along to stop erosion so unless you are certain the margins are a dangerous place to cast.
You could try the circus that is the well know gravels below Collingham weir if and its a big if... its not pre booked for a fictitious match so as keep everyone at bay. I won't normally give locations but this is so well publicised its no secret.

Last edited: