waggler fishing

associatedmatt

Reaction score
not pellet waggler in summer months for carp but just genral waggler up in the water for whatever comes along .

Is there a tick to when fishing up in the water to know how deep to fish if im after roach and carp and maybe the crucians if come up for the deck . Also do ypu find the bigger roach deeper or up higher ?

sagalout

Reaction score
I am no expert and this advice is worth what I am charging for it but start of 6" of the bottom and then work up shallower. If you are getting liners and foul hooking then you are to deep, if you ain't not no how getting no bytes then you are to shallow or the fish ain't feeding on your bait in your swim at that moment in time.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
good way how to do it , but is there a point keep feeding a swim little and often if the fish are not there ? how long as a rule would you keep feeding before shallowing up or changing area ?

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
not pellet waggler in summer months for carp but just genral waggler up in the water for whatever comes along .

Is there a tick to when fishing up in the water to know how deep to fish if im after roach and carp and maybe the crucians if come up for the deck . Also do ypu find the bigger roach deeper or up higher ?

I normally fish at about half the depth of the swim that I'm fishing and work from this, at times you may need to actually shallow up or go a little deeper, by doing this You'll be in constant contact with the fish.

From past experience the bigger roach normally stay towards the bottom layers of the lake or river but I find that this is only in general because nothing is set in stone and manyatimes I've also seen big roach right up on the surface dimpling and feeding :D

sagalout

Reaction score
Watching videos of the top blokes pole fishing they will one area with no feed one with a little feed and one with a bit more. Give each area 10 mins, try changing depth or area, and the feed areas can be feed some or not. It's fishing, not science there ain't any hard and fast rules or answers.

At this time of year I give it ten minutes then go home :wh

chrissh

Reaction score
At this time of year it’s worth considering the depth of the lake as cold water sinks so the fish could be feeding from 6” to 12” of the bottom over the winter I was using a slow sink float to find the fish then changing to a waggler

slow sinking float

4486117.jpg

View image in gallery

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Never seen one of those ! The fishery don't have no problem with lack of roach there packed with them ! I find you don't need to fish far out 2 rod lengths more than enough , be using the clip once found fish so can cast and get same area everytime

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robcourt82

Reaction score
I love fishing up in the water, its such an active and proactive way of fishing. To get the best from it you need to be feeding casting or playing a fish. You say you don't mean pellet waggle fishing but the principle is still the same. Once the hookbait has reached its maximum depth you need to be twitching it or recasting it.
As for depth when waggler fishing I tend to be really positive, in my opinion they're either up in the water or down in the water. If they're up then you can bring them right up by making them compete for the bait so I start off about a third of the depth and I will give it a good 20mins to half an hour before I change and go looking for them. Generally speaking if they don't want to come up that far then they really want to be near the bottom and I'll try to fish as close to dead depth as possible.
It's a bit of a million dollar question though as there will always be the odd occasions where they don't play by the "rules"

associatedmatt

Reaction score
When you say twitching just lift rod up or a blip of the reel ?

Assume same principle to pellet waggler fishing for carp in the summer ?

With the carp pellets I have found they seem to float for a while before sinking , is that right ? I was thinking to soak them , was using 6mm as feed and 8 on band . Tried it twice but no fish

robcourt82

Reaction score
It's hard work but once you get into a rhythm its a brilliant way of fishing. What I start off by doing is to drop the waggler in the edge, feed, cast into the feed, wait a few seconds (bites are usually pretty instant) then I feed again, give a wind of the reel and wait a few seconds. If I've not had a bit I reel in, feed, cast, feed, twitch and repeat. It's such an enjoyable way to fish and there's so many little tricks you can do to induce a bite.
I fish the pellet wag a lot in the summer of an evening and I just use dry 8mms but the venue I fish has a big average size. It's rare to catch one under 8lb. The most I've had is 20 in 3 and a half hours.:D

---------- Post added at 04:57 ---------- Previous post was at 04:54 ----------

I would fish pretty much the same with maggots on a lake or on a river fishing for chub or dace. The only time I would differ the routine is if I was fishing to a far bank or an island when I would not twitch the bait but leave it to settle for a few seconds. I would still feed twice a cast though.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
I will give it a go this summer but my waggler fishing is next to nothing lol !

Even when have plumbed depth I struggle to get exactly is same place next cast so I lay 4" on the bottom if I'm fishing on bottom for carp tench etc . A lot of times they seem to come into margins then have a much and swim off !

What's best way to keep them in your swim ?

Keith M

Reaction score
If I am after quality sized Carp and I know they patrol along a bank at certain times then I would just put a few freebies in the edge and wait for the carp to come along, keeping low and still and quiet.
But do your homework and find out where abouts the Carp feed and patrol by either asking a friend or finding out yourself.

If I am fishing a commercial that holds zillions of stunted Carp then I may be better using pellets nearer the surface once the temperatures start to rise.
NB: I don't fish commercials at all these days and the last time I fished a match on one was around twelve years ago so don't take what I've said about fishing them as gospel :)

If I am after Tench (once the temperatures start to rise) I often try laying a small bed of Tench groundbait (usually a groundbait containing either sweet molasses and/or blood), or a small bed of particles or chopped worm then wait for the Tench to arrive and give themselves away with their fine clouds of bubbles.

If I'm after Bream the same can apply but I have a bigger choice of groundbaits to choose from.

If I am after silvers then I feed little and often and start just off the bottom
Moving up in the water if they are competing for baits and moving down if bites are very slow.

NB: I often find that I can sometimes dictate the depth where a shoal of average sized roach is taking my bait by feeding a little more if I want them to feed on the bottom or reducing the feed slightly if I want them to be searching for sinking baits further up in the water.

In the winter months feeding 'little and often' may mean as little as just one or two maggots every couple of minutes but once the fish start to feed well then I adjust to suit the amount of fish I have feeding in front of me.
In the warmer months or if I am fishing a water with a larger stocking density then I can usually afford to feed a lot more.

Well that's a short potted guide but remember nothing is set in stone so it's worth finding how and where others on your venue catch their fish on the waggler Lol.

Keith

Last edited:

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Keith once water warms up I'm coming off the commercial onto a club where all gravel pits with bigger carp but going to start on the lower sized where the smallest carp is 14lb and up .

I will be taking carp rods. Been told big bed of baits don't work I do have a very small spod so may try that with chopped worm , corn , hemp and some pellets for the tench but also they come to boilies too as a lot of boilies get used . So many methods to try even on carp rods and then go to a pop up over a bed of boilies too

I have used pva bags a lot just nicked onto hook . There a central island so il fish near to that in summer and one off the marginal shelf .

The other lake is a local club but I'm debating to join or not as only 1 rod and no bite alarms alowed , but there are plenty of low 20's it's only 10 minuites from me too . The idea of waggler fishing was there for carp and the tench around a few rod lengths out .

robcourt82

Reaction score
On a commercial you will find the carp patrol the edges and they will spook easily. That's why you get them coming and going. The best thing is to keep feeding, they will come back when they hear the feed going in.

To accurately fish the waggler in open water you can use the line clip as though you were feeder fishing. What I do is cast past where I want to fish and once the float has reached the clip i turn back say 3 times with the tip under the surface to sink the line. If you reel back the same amount every cast you'll be about as accurate as possible.

Keith M

Reaction score
To accurately fish the waggler in open water you can use the line clip as though you were feeder fishing. What I do is cast past where I want to fish and once the float has reached the clip i turn back say 3 times with the tip under the surface to sink the line. If you reel back the same amount every cast you'll be about as accurate as possible.

What I usually do is look for a reflection of a tree or some bushes or something else from the far bank on the surface of the water and aim for the same spot each time, casting my waggler a little bit further, then putting my rod tip below the surface and winding back a few turns until the float is exactly where I want it (this will sink my line and get rid of any bows in my line too).

It is fairly simple once you get the hang of it.

Keith

Last edited:

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Thanks all , when I go out next I will give it a go . Going to join a local club lake that has a only 1 rod rule so il have plenty of time this summer to practice and plenty of carp Upto low 20's what's the ideal rod is a Avon rod too stiff ?

Keith M

Reaction score
An Avon rod of around 1.25 TC with line between 5lb and 6lb should be OK if you are float fishing for Carp into double figures it depends on how snaggy the water is; or you could use a commercial match float rod designed for Tench, Bream and commercial sized Carp which has standoff rings.

However If it is very snaggy (lots of Lillie beds and sunken branches etc.) and you are catching Carp near the 20lb mark then you might want to consider using stronger tackle and doing away with the float.

Keith

Last edited:

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Thanks Keith the lake is not snagy so I should be ok with my Avon rod .

Cheers

robcourt82

Reaction score
Surely a reflection or shadow will move throughout the day though?