Stotz

peterjg

Reaction score
After hearing great things about Stotz I recently bought some - I found them to be rubbish! They do not stay on the line well, they are brighter than some makes of ordinary shot and are not the same 'weight' as other shot. Save your money. Don't buy them!

rayner

Reaction score
After hearing great things about Stotz I recently bought some - I found them to be rubbish! They do not stay on the line well, they are brighter than some makes of ordinary shot and are not the same 'weight' as other shot. Save your money. Don't buy them!

Thousands of anglers think they are great; they move easily, easy to apply, don't ping off especially on thicker lines.
I get on most excellently with stotz. As far as I'm concerned they are a very good product even if they are from Preston innovations.
There are alternatives if they don't suit you, it's not only shot or stotz.

john step

Reaction score

I just wonder why they don't stay on your line well. I take it you do use pincers to apply them.
Matrix do their own version.
I even use them sometimes either side of Drennan type waggler stops to stop slippage when casting for distance and a goodly whack out is delivered.

seth49

Reaction score
I like them a lot, never had a problem with them, there all I use below bulk shot,
I have more of a problem with small shot coming of when playing fish, as has been said just nip them on, I use my forceps to do this. Just enough to grip the line, but you can still move them without damaging the line.

thames mudlarker

Reaction score

Sorry Pete I have to disagree here because I've been using stotz for a good few years now and never had any issues or problems with em,

On some lines yea they can slip a little but just a bit of a tweek with the pliers normally sorts this and I've never experienced any line damage etc.

You probably don't like em Pete because yer not used to using them,

There's a few different companies that do em and perhaps try some different ones :thumbs:

peterjg

Reaction score
I've been strongly out voted, perhaps it's me? I'll give them another go!

john step

Reaction score
I've been strongly out voted, perhaps it's me? I'll give them another go!

If you go to Mal Storey Angling Centre and find Middy Match system essentials styl/shot pincers......£2.99 +£1 postage....it will do the trick.

Wouldn't be without stotz/Matrix styl.

nottskev

Reaction score
I've found they do indeed stay on. And they move easily. But you try getting them off the line if you've overshotted your float. I suppose we can't have it all ways.

barbelboi

Reaction score
But you try getting them off the line if you've overshotted your float. I suppose we can't have it all ways.

Try one of these - it's a doddle then.........:)

sensas-shot-removing-tool.jpg

PS Here's a link

Last edited:

trotter2

Reaction score
For all applications that require a size 8 and smaller I never use anything else.
Have done for a few years they are the best without any doubt.
Sometimes they do work loose but they don't ping off. A quick nip up and your back in business.

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
For all applications that require a size 8 and smaller I never use anything else.
Have done for a few years they are the best without any doubt.
Sometimes they do work loose but they don't ping off. A quick nip up and your back in business.

Yep absolutely agree, well said :thumbs:

rayner

Reaction score
I don't use any pliers or anything else to nip stotz just my teeth. I find I can adjust just how much pressure to a stotz better that way.
As for taking them off Preston make a stotter for the job of removing them. They're a small applicator/remover that work the same way as a nail clipper.
It has a small groove on the bottom half with a bladed top half.
Put the stotz in the groove with the cut facing up and squeeze, the stotz come off easily, also makes them reusable.

jon atkinson

Reaction score
Another vote for from me; I haven't even bothered with split shot smaller than size 6 since I started using them. As some others have found, the only negative is taking them off if you've overloaded or want to change float. I know that they are supposed to be removable / re-usable (& well done Rayner if you've cracked that one), but I've tried using the Stotter & it's just mangled them, although that could be me being cack-handed :wh. I use them a lot on fairly fine hook lengths as a tell tale & I do worry about damaging what is already the weakest link, so thus far if I really have to shed a stot or two, it involves a new hook length. That having been said, I like the look of that gizmo that Jerry highlighted... another 'excuse' to visit the tackle shop :w

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
Yep I kinda agree with yer about using yer teeth, I used to in me early years but unfortunately I ain't got no teeth now :puke: well maybe about 2 lower little ones at the front but a fat load of good they are :eek:mg:......lols

Na....me I just stick with me little long nose pliers :thumbs:

john step

Reaction score
I don't use any pliers or anything else to nip stotz just my teeth. I find I can adjust just how much pressure to a stotz better that way.
As for taking them off Preston make a stotter for the job of removing them. They're a small applicator/remover that work the same way as a nail clipper.
It has a small groove on the bottom half with a bladed top half.
Put the stotz in the groove with the cut facing up and squeeze, the stotz come off easily, also makes them reusable.

Rayner, do yourself a favour and use pliers. Stotz are lead and biting them which means you are digesting a small amount is not good.

Terry D

Reaction score
For years all I've ever used for shot or Stotz is a pair of styl pliars with the lever removed. That way it is very easy to feel how much pressure you are applying as you are squeezing with your fingertips.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
If I get a Stotz stuck on my Hooklink the simplest way to remove it is to cut the line just above the loop on my mainline, cut both loops off my Hooklink then slide the Stot up and off the line, re tie both loops and reattach Hooklink...
Plumb up again if necessary...,

rayner

Reaction score
Rayner, do yourself a favour and use pliers. Stotz are lead and biting them which means you are digesting a small amount is not good.

I've been applying shot with my teeth for nearly sixty years, can you see anything changing.

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
If I get a Stotz stuck on my Hooklink the simplest way to remove it is to cut the line just above the loop on my mainline, cut both loops off my Hooklink then slide the Stot up and off the line, re tie both loops and reattach Hooklink...
Plumb up again if necessary...,

If you pull the stotz of the hook length and now retie a loop you've now just shortened yer hook length considerably :wh

Surly it makes sence to cut both the loops and discard of of the hook length, quickly tie another loop in yer mainline and now just simply use another hook length that is exactly the same size hook length as the previous one :thumbs:

Probably need to move the float up 2-3 inches after a quick plumb up and then sorghted,

Simples :D

Last edited:

trotter2

Reaction score
You can just bite them off if your carefull,dont swallow them like :thumbs:;)