Normark NMB 118-3-15' match.

robtherake

Reaction score
Took a punt on this spliced-tip rod from the boot sale - it felt good in the hand and has been refurbed to a decent standard with royal purple whippings edged in silver. The model number suggests it's a 3-piece 15 footer, but it's actually 13ft, so maybe it used to have a 2ft dolly section. Anyone recognise it from the model number?

mikench

Reaction score
I have only ever found utter junk at car boots Rob! I hope you have found a cracker!

john step

Reaction score
My old original Normark has those letters. Without going outside in the rain I can't say about the figures.
Its 13 foot and came with a conventional non spliced tip. However I did buy a second spliced tip that were all the rage for trotting at the time.
You may have the alternative spliced accessory?

I don't know how old you purchase is but if it has sliding reel fittings it must be knocking on a bit unless they have been altered.

IF its an old one I seem to recall they were available in 12 or 13 foot blanks. I can't recall a 15.

It might be an indication as to age to note how thick the blank was at the handle end. Although good blanks and a revolution at the time they were much thicker than later rods.

Hope some of that makes sense.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
My very first carbon rod was a Normark. I'm pretty sure it was designated NMB- 144 ........The 144 being the length in inches ( it was a 12 footer). That was longer ago than i care to own up to but it was a cracking rod then and I've still got it. I don't use it nowadays but every now and then i get it out and think that it's still a decent rod. I suspect what you found will be much the same as Normark made some great rods.

Grey blank....Black whippings tipped red. Classy.

robtherake

Reaction score
Just had another look at it, this time with glasses on - I was quite literally buying blind.:eek:mg: It's designated NNB-118-3 15', not NMB, as previously stated.

The handle has been retrofitted with a downlocking Shakespeare reel seat from a more modern rod and is thicker than a typical modern blank, but is stepped down to a slightly thinner section some 4" in front of the reel seat.

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
I have only ever found utter junk at car boots Rob! I hope you have found a cracker!

Not very often Mike but you do occasionally get good gear at car boots, I got one of my three Silstar 14 ft Traverse X rods from a car boot aswell as two of me many very good conditioned Mitchell 300 reels that I collect and keep in me display cabinet :thumbs:

B

binka

Not very often Mike but you do occasionally get good gear at car boots, I got one of my three Silstar 14 ft Traverse X rods from a car boot aswell as two of me many very good conditioned Mitchell 300 reels that I collect and keep in me display cabinet :thumbs:

I bought a display cabinet once.

The first day it arrived I climbed in, displayed myself and the missus had it out the back door and lay on the back garden within minutes :D

(Apologies to Rob for my worthless digression).