Back Shotting Pole Rigs

Andy Pet

Reaction score
OK, I've pole fished for more years that can remember and up until today have only ever used shot/styles/stotz to allow my float to sit as it should. However, today I've seen a video of Steve Ringer with shot on the "wrong" side of a pole float, "up in the air".

What benefit does "backshotting" have if any other than sinking the float if you are not watching?

Thanks in advance

flightliner

Reaction score
I dont pole fish as a rule but backshotting is a standard practice on rivers when trotting a float downstream when a contrary wind or skittish breeze blows the line into a bow and takes the float off its intended course , it could be used on stillwaters when pole fishing for the same reason.
Another ploy is to do the same if the water as any undertow when the bait is being pulled along the bottom causing the bait to be pulled away from the baited area.
In similar situations tho not back shotted the line above the float can be treated with fullers earth which sinks the line and helps no end in holding the rig tight against nearside underwater feutures such as steeply sloping dropoffs that tend to collect items of food that attract the fish.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Today, being extremely windy, my length of line between poletip and float was about 2' . Much longer than I'd prefer but at least if the wind pulled the poletip round my float would not be moved. I back shotted it with a no 11 shot to sink the first 6" of line above my float, thus sinking the line directly above to prevent the wind blowing the the line above the float first. Back shotting can also be used on a stickfloat whilst trotting during a downstream wind, again giving the float extra stability. This will affect the buoyancy of your float too so if you're struggling simply take a shot off your line below your float and reattach it above...

Difficult to explain but basically back shotting helps stabilise the float in tricky conditions.

Last edited:

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
Today, being extremely windy, my length of line between poletip and float was about 2' . Much longer than I'd prefer but at least if the wind pulled the poletip round my float would not be moved. I back shotted it with a no 11 shot to sink the first 6" of line above my float, thus sinking the line directly above to prevent the wind blowing the the line above the float first. Back shotting can also be used on a stickfloat whilst trotting during a downstream wind, again giving the float extra stability. This will affect the buoyancy of your float too so if you're struggling simply take a shot off your line below your float and reattach it above...

Difficult to explain but basically back shotting helps stabilise the float in tricky conditions.

Absolutely spot on Simon, couldn't of said it any better meself, well said :thumbs:
Thanks for sharing

Andy Pet

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response and diagram. Sort of makes sense now. Only taken me 30 years to ask the question! Just need a damn tool to remove these blinkin' stotz!

robcourt82

Reaction score
I can remove stotz ok using an old stonfo shot remover/plier tool. I'm sure they're still available.

I think in saying pretty much what's already been said but I use a back shot whenever the float is being pulled about unnaturally. Whether by wind or tow. How I use them is by having a fairly big (relatively) shot, depending on how much help i need, and I try to hold a tight line to the shot. It helps to steady the line between pole tip and float and helps keep you in direct contact. One tip I recently came across that is a big help is when you're fishing into shadows paint the back shot with tip-ex so you can see it better. Is a big help!
I should add that I try to hold the back shot above the water, not to sink the line.

It's all the rage now on snake lakes/f1 venues and there rare loads of bits on YouTube that explain it.

robcourt82

Reaction score
That's the one! And the neutral buoyancy pole float shotting thing was called a dosapiombo nor something! :confused:

rayner

Reaction score
I always have my final trimming shots above the float. Reason is if the wind increases I can slide the shots (normally 3 No10s) up the line.
In effect I have shots to sink the line above the float for more control in wind plus more show on the float.

bracket

Reaction score
On the pole, to combat the wind, I also use a single shot, AAA or Swan, halfway between the float and pole tip and out of the water. When fishing the stick float I always use at least one backshot (No 8) even in ideal conditions. For me it gives more control and the float seems to ride better. In adverse conditions I have used up to four No 8's, strung out 6 inch apart, to try and get some control and a decent run through. Pete.

stripey

Reaction score
On the pole, to combat the wind, I also use a single shot, AAA or Swan, halfway between the float and pole tip and out of the water. When fishing the stick float I always use at least one backshot (No 8) even in ideal conditions. For me it gives more control and the float seems to ride better. In adverse conditions I have used up to four No 8's, strung out 6 inch apart, to try and get some control and a decent run through. Pete.

Its not only for combating the wind its also good for helping the strike, the line is dead straight i e no slack, therefore making the strike more positive, but i do think think that an AAAor swan is is excessive [ sledge hammer to break a nut} i prefer a small amount of tungsten putty, this doe's not pinch the line and is easily removed.

rayner

Reaction score
Larger shot may sound like it's over egging it a little, the thing is whatever works for any individual is good enough for me.
I prefer small shots but who's to say my way is right.

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
Larger shot may sound like it's over egging it a little, the thing is whatever works for any individual is good enough for me.
I prefer small shots but who's to say my way is right.

Absolutely, well said :thumbs:

nottskev

Reaction score
Aside from beating wind and skim, all well covered by OP's, there's one use that's not been mentioned. If you want to hold back hard on flowing water, you can find the rig is stretched taut and bites rattle the pole tip and the fish drop the bait pronto. A biggish backshot - size acc to flow - can put an angle in the line from tip to float and allow a better bite to show.

robcourt82

Reaction score
That's an interesting tip, I haven't fished it for some years but I remember fishing hemp on the warks Avon and the roach would come right up and you could see them flashing for the seed. Used to fish a really light rig and a 2 or 3 elastic so they would often hook themselves but you would still get plenty of missed bites just like you mention. Wished I'd have thought of that tip back then!