Long Rod

dalesman

Reaction score
Looking for a15' rod for trotting and line control, seen the Free Spirit 15' which appears well made, but before I part with my hard earned.

Wondering what other rods are out there.

sam vimes

Reaction score
The very obvious ones that spring to mind are the Drennan Acolyte Ultra or Plus. The advantage of buying Drennan is that at least one of the local shops is likely to have them in stock. If you would prefer to spend less, the 15' Matchpro Ultralight is worth a look. I also seem to think that Darlington Angling Centre might just have a couple of alternative options from Shimano and Daiwa. Better to go and have a waggle than buy blind.

dalesman

Reaction score
The very obvious ones that spring to mind are the Drennan Acolyte Ultra or Plus. The advantage of buying Drennan is that at least one of the local shops is likely to have them in stock. If you would prefer to spend less, the 15' Matchpro Ultralight is worth a look. I also seem to think that Darlington Angling Centre might just have a couple of alternative options from Shimano and Daiwa. Better to go and have a waggle than buy blind.

In Darlington tomorrow after work, the following got me interested in the
Free Spirit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVVyD_meAw4&index=6&list=LLrP2UDe-RujHMWOnuHhc32Q

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The first thing that jumped out at me about that free spirit rod was the reel holder, it was a screw up job which you can clearly see the chap has his fingers wrapped around the thread when holding the rod...not comfy at all.
I have a tricast rod which I bought a few weeks back with a similar reel holder and only used it one time but the reel holder is imo horrible to hold...i'd go with the acolyte plus.

Obviously if your not holding the rod as you do for trotting it won't be such an issue.

xenon

Reaction score
cannot claim to have tried every long rod on the market (by a long stretch) but if anything is better than a drennan acolyte then it wont be by much, if at all.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Thought the "Plus" was the power version

It is, but you didn't mention wether you where looking at the plus or the ultra. The plus does everything what the ultra does and more, I really can't see the point of the ultra...jmo.
Most of my fishing is float fishing (usually trotting) and I have a few acolytes and not one ultra ;).

dalesman

Reaction score
It is, but you didn't mention wether you where looking at the plus or the ultra. The plus does everything what the ultra does and more, I really can't see the point of the ultra...jmo.
Most of my fishing is float fishing (usually trotting) and I have a few acolytes and not one ultra ;).

I will be fishing the River Swale for Grayling and the return of the dace together with resident chub to 5 ish pounds.

Been away from the rivers and onto commercials for a couple years due to a injury and a slow recovery. But now come the open season its back to river and trotting. :D

sam vimes

Reaction score
The Acolyte Plus is marginally more powerful than the Ultra, but it's not especially powerful in the overall scheme of things. To me, the Plus isn't particularly close to being as powerful as the Free spirit Hi-S in your video link.

A better analogy for the difference between Ultra and Plus is a standard Shimano match rod and a fast action (FA) model.

Reaction score
I used my 15 foot acolyte plus today for the very first time trying to catch some tench. I didn't get any tench but the rod was not over gunned for the perch and roach that took a fancy to my sweetcorn or worm hookbaits. I think I will like the acolyte plus as much as the tench float rod I have. :D Can't wait to put a decent bend in it.

barbelboi

Reaction score
The Ultra is good for light line (2lb) double figure rogue carp in weed free still water conditions and chub to at least big 6's on the trot in somewhat weedy conditions. Not caught a '7' yet so can't comment..........:)

trotter2

Reaction score
The ultra is a Dace and Roach rod, the plus is a better rod IMO
The plus is not a lot more powerfull than the ultra dont let the name deceive you.
I would not buy the ultra its not a versatile rod. If you get a big chub going for a snag you will have a he'll off a job stopping it on the ultra.The plus just gives you a little bit more when you need it.

Regarding the matchpro
I got rid of my matchpro, again its a one style rod not very versatile.
Better rods are the plus and the allerton.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Have to disagree with you there - I've used the Ultra for almost 2 years now (mainly on the rivers -not hit a big barbel yet trotting but chub pushing 7lbs- also on gravel pits/farm ponds for crucian/roach where I'll often hit rogue carp to double figures) and it will handle bonus big fish on light lines at least as well as the Normark 2000 series which I've been using for some 17 years.

mikench

Reaction score
When I get back I will give the 14ft Supero a trip out. I want a deserted lake with loads of room:)

My 2000th post; do I get an Acolyte?

---------- Post added at 06:11 ---------- Previous post was at 05:23 ----------

You are up early Seth!

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
When I get back I will give the 14ft Supero a trip out. I want a deserted lake with loads of room:)

My 2000th post; do I get an Acolyte?

---------- Post added at 06:11 ---------- Previous post was at 05:23 ----------

You are up early Seth!

Why not ;).

trotter2

Reaction score
Have to disagree with you there - I've used the Ultra for almost 2 years now (mainly on the rivers -not hit a big barbel yet trotting but chub pushing 7lbs- also on gravel pits/farm ponds for crucian/roach where I'll often hit rogue carp to double figures) and it will handle bonus big fish on light lines at least as well as the Normark 2000 series which I've been using for some 17 years.

Like anything you can do it but its not ideal and you know that .
Or you should do :D

sam vimes

Reaction score
The choice between plus and ultra should come down to what you are expecting to catch. I use my ultra when I know that dace and grayling are likely to make up the bulk of my catches. However, it handles bonus trout and Chub without problems. If I know that chub, with the chance of a barbel are to be expected, the plus will come out to play. The best choice for anyone only wanting to buy one of them is going to depend on the realities of the water they fish. As a general rod, the Plus is undoubtedly more versatile.

trotter2

Reaction score
The choice between plus and ultra should come down to what you are expecting to catch. I use my ultra when I know that dace and grayling are likely to make up the bulk of my catches. However, it handles bonus trout and Chub without problems. If I know that chub, with the chance of a barbel are to be expected, the plus will come out to play. The best choice for anyone only wanting to buy one of them is going to depend on the realities of the water they fish. As a general rod, the Plus is undoubtedly more versatile.

I agree Sam a lot of the local match lads are now using the plus as a general float rod . It's far more versatile as you know.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Like anything you can do it but its not ideal and you know that .
Or you should do :D

I would never state that the Ultra was the ideal rod for bigger fish - I said 'it will handle bonus big fish on light lines at least as well as the Normark 2000 series' - which are renowned as very forgiving rods in such circumstances.............

trotter2

Reaction score
The Ultra is good for light line (2lb) double figure rogue carp in weed free still water conditions and chub to at least big 6's on the trot in somewhat weedy conditions. Not caught a '7' yet so can't comment..........:)

I have no idea where you fish my friend but you would not stop a 6lb chub on the swale with 2lb line .
Minimum would be 3lb and that's pushing it. Why don't you pop over and try it using your ultra mite even take a photo and post it on the forum :D:thumbs: