Perch on the Feeder

tenchangler

Reaction score
Hi, wondering if anyone has succeeded in targeting perch on the feeder / ledger rig? I've only ever caught perch by ledgering as a bycatch when targeting other species, and I've never been satisfied with it as the hooks seem to go a little too far back in the throat (luckily no harm done, but I've never had the confidence to use it as a perch fishing method for this reason).

If I was targeting them with the feeder / tip, I'd really want a rig that minimised the risk of deep hooking and damage to fish. Not thinking about float fishing here, as there are good means of avoiding deep hooking with a float setup, but specifically wondering about ledgering.

Thanks all!

ian g

Reaction score
Hi, I target perch a lot , mainly on the float but sometimes on the tip . They are a fish that is likely to gulp bait and having a large mouth they are able to swallow large baits quickly. I tend to use circle hooks mainly these

Sakuma 440 Circle Hooks - Box of 30 - Sea Fishing - 10 sizes | eBay

you don't strike as you normally would but sort of lift/ tighten into the fish . They do seem to stop deep hooking most of the time and seem to be easier to remove with a discorger if needed . I generally just use a basic running rig for my ledgering.

B

binka

I've been using the tip a lot of late for my perching, largely due to that prolonged, strong north-easterly wind that we've now seen the back of and which made float presentation tricky on the waters I fish.

I have no problem with deep hooking when using the tip but I do use a sensitive 1/2oz glass tip at relatively short range up to three rod lengths out, if I were going any distance I would use braid to eliminate any stretch.

I think it's very much about having a sensitive enough set up, having said that most of mine have been savage pull rounds especially with worm.

tenchangler

Reaction score
Hi, I target perch a lot , mainly on the float but sometimes on the tip . They are a fish that is likely to gulp bait and having a large mouth they are able to swallow large baits quickly. I tend to use circle hooks mainly these

Sakuma 440 Circle Hooks - Box of 30 - Sea Fishing - 10 sizes | eBay

you don't strike as you normally would but sort of lift/ tighten into the fish . They do seem to stop deep hooking most of the time and seem to be easier to remove with a discorger if needed . I generally just use a basic running rig for my ledgering.

Nice one, I do need to have a go with circle hooks, especially if they're available down to a size10. I'd guess the basic running rig is best for the stripeys due to their dislike of resistance.

---------- Post added at 16:56 ---------- Previous post was at 16:52 ----------

I've been using the tip a lot of late for my perching, largely due to that prolonged, strong north-easterly wind that we've now seen the back of and which made float presentation tricky on the waters I fish.

I have no problem with deep hooking when using the tip but I do use a sensitive 1/2oz glass tip at relatively short range up to three rod lengths out, if I were going any distance I would use braid to eliminate any stretch.

I think it's very much about having a sensitive enough set up, having said that most of mine have been savage pull rounds especially with worm.

Thanks- yep same thought was crossing my mind- a venue I fish is always wind-swept and its very deep. I've previously used a 2oz glass tip on a 1.25 lb test curve avon- maybe lighter tips are in order, a bit like the float really- set it up to show the first signs of a bite and strike right away.

Braid definitely a good shout on some bigger venues..

Do you use a short hooklink to help see bites early?

shane99

Reaction score
agree with ian g on the hooks & binka on the tip weight - a good combo.

Your usual hook link length (8-12" for me) will be ok as you now have the slight advantage of the circle hook. Please be aware that you still can deep hook with a circle hook if your not paying attention.

Best to crush the barbs to ease unhooking with these hooks should you have an issue I have found.

Last edited:
B

binka

I don't go overly long on the hooklink, 12-18" usually unless there's a specific reason for going longer.

If it's a big water and it's towing a bit I often slacken off the tip as the tow pulls it round and so I occasionally re-check the rig completely by just tightening up to it enough to dislodge it so that I know I've removed the bow which I've been building up when slackening off.

It's surprising just how many times a fish will jump on it too when it sees the bait move, besides some nice perch I've had some good roach doing this and skimmers like a bit of a twitch occasionally.

shane99

Reaction score
Had some nice Rudd the other week "twitching" a suspended Lob worm on a bobber back to me, a nice surprise :)

tenchangler

Reaction score
Have to agree. A little turn of the reel handle so that the bait moves a little can be excellent for perch- they do seem to have a preference for a moving bait...

shane99

Reaction score
Back on topic - I have in the past used a large maggott feeder filled with chopped worm just to get the scent near the hook bait but of course it wont come out. Have tried a cage feeder stuffed with chopped worm but was a pain to cast any distance.
Yet to try a feeder filled with foam soaked in worm extract or any other attractant ... Maybe a combination off all three with a binder in there somewhere - ?

B

binka

Back on topic - I have in the past used a large maggott feeder filled with chopped worm just to get the scent near the hook bait but of course it wont come out. Have tried a cage feeder stuffed with chopped worm but was a pain to cast any distance.
Yet to try a feeder filled with foam soaked in worm extract or any other attractant ... Maybe a combination off all three with a binder in there somewhere - ?

I'm going to try the sponge at some point, the higher water temperature should make it ideal in summer in respect of the scent spreading better and with a big bait could be a real winner but I reckon it could be at its best in winter when the feed content really needs to be lower.

You can use a maggot feeder if you chop your worm reasonably small and mix it with maggots when you fill it, I've done this a few times with black caps and it works fine but the problem is everything seems to love the contents and it's not that selective unless you're fishing a perch dominated water :)

barbelboi

Reaction score
Regarding the sponge, this is something that we used many years ago when carp fishing during winter with a fruit flavour. For perch, if cut to size to fit the feeder and impregnated with predator plus, which is a good attractant – plenty of scent/colour but nothing to eat bar the hook bait. .........

Richox12

Reaction score
Perch are hunters and hunt by sight. So I would want a bait/rig which moved a lot and usually off of the bottom. So, for me, static legering would not be my choice.

greenie62

Reaction score
... I'd really want a rig that minimised the risk of deep hooking and damage to fish. Not thinking about float fishing here, as there are good means of avoiding deep hooking with a float setup, but specifically wondering about ledgering....

I've had some recent success with hair-rigging worm - threading through a pointy 'bait-stop' - this seems to let the greedy beggars really chomp on the worm - giving a decent bite - on both float and ledger - but resulting in lip-hooks.
Coupled with your circle hook this should avoid the deep-hooking! Also works with Trout too - and avoids deep-hooking the greedy salmon parr!:eek:
Tight Lines!

ian g

Reaction score
Shane, I used to use open ended feeders which were basically just a plastic tube . Small ground bait plug at one end , chopped worm and maggots , then another plug of ground bait and away you go . They cast well and worked great . Should be pretty easy to make.

shane99

Reaction score
Shane, I used to use open ended feeders which were basically just a plastic tube . Small ground bait plug at one end , chopped worm and maggots , then another plug of ground bait and away you go . They cast well and worked great . Should be pretty easy to make.

cheers ian g the place has a lot of roach & I would get hammered by using maggot & groundbait, dont get me wrong they are very welcome when Im not fishing for Perch

tenchangler

Reaction score
I've had some recent success with hair-rigging worm - threading through a pointy 'bait-stop' - this seems to let the greedy beggars really chomp on the worm - giving a decent bite - on both float and ledger - but resulting in lip-hooks.
Coupled with your circle hook this should avoid the deep-hooking! Also works with Trout too - and avoids deep-hooking the greedy salmon parr!:eek:
Tight Lines!

Nice one, and a good approach when fishing natural baits for bream or tench on a 'perchy' water. (Most waters round my way are perch dominated, with very few exceptions- makes for some fun fishing!)