Bomb over feeder?

B

binka

I was thinking the other day, whilst fishing and catching nicely on the bomb, that it doesn’t seem to be such an ‘in’ method these days.

Is it because feeders have expanded into so many different types and varied applications?

I can’t help thinking there’s some oversight going on though, I generally prefer a bomb over a feeder and feeding over the top mainly because I use it in positive conditions where I don’t feel a feeder is introducing enough feed, I also prefer to spread out a feed area a little more than when repeatedly dropping a feeder on the same spot (when I can actually manage it!).

I’ve had some great catches with the feeder and it’s unbeatable at long range, imo, but at distances where I can place my feed accurately by hand I find myself increasingly turning to the bomb these days.

And…

I much prefer the experience of playing a fish on a relatively light bomb than when it’s towing a feeder around with it.

It's all horses for courses to a degree but does anyone think, on reflection of their fishing, that they overlook the bomb when chucking out a feeder?

Any general thoughts… ?

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If legering I nearly always use a bomb and rarely use a feeder preferring to feed over the intended spot. If I do go with a feeder it's usually a method and that applies to both still and moving water.

mikench

Reaction score
I regularly overlook it in favour of a feeder of some kind and don't know why. Is it pschycological i.e. an impulse to provide feed in a nice little clump?

I did use it in the colder months but do not recall significant success but then I rarely do:rolleyes:

fishing4luckies

Reaction score
I much prefer the experience of playing a fish on a relatively light bomb than when it’s towing a feeder around with it.

I tend to use the lightest feeder I can get away with and then rely on the weight of the feed itself to help with the cast.

The Preston Banjo feeders I like so much go down to 20g in the largest size, which is only 3/4 oz.

rayner

Reaction score
When pellet waggler fishing I always make up a bomb rod. I generally start with the straight lead, changing over to the waggler when fish come up.
If the float line goes quiet a bomb cast over the feed area generally produces.

thecrow

Reaction score
I also prefer to spread out a feed area a little more than when repeatedly dropping a feeder on the same spot (when I can actually manage it!).

I rarely use anything but a feeder on running water on the rod I concentrate most on (not watching but feeding) but on still water I will use just a bomb at close range particularly when undertow becomes to much to control.

I agree with spreading freebies out a bit for 2 reasons, the first is that it doesn't concentrate fish into one area allowing them to be easily spooked by a hooked fish, the second is that imo far to much emphasis is placed on accurate feeding by articles in angling publications making the feed all in one place a thing fish come across to often and it can start to become a danger signal, feed that is spread out gives fish chance to graze without being spooked becoming used to finding small amounts of feed that bring no unpleasant experiences. This is on still water as I believe that feed is spread out anyway on running water.

nottskev

Reaction score
If the wind's too bad to enjoy floatfishing I'll loosefeed down the peg and fish bomb when after grayling on local rivers - they seem to get spooked by a feeder far more quickly; same for roach, come to think of it.
When I lived in north east Lancs I once found myself with half a sack of groundbait left over from an Irish trip. Locals told me that Barrowford Reservoir was too deep, too hard, too moody etc. But it was 5 mins away so I mixed up a few kilos, put it all in at the start, in a who-cares-if-it-works-or-not spirit, and fished a bomb over it. (It helped that there were no other anglers on the water as this approach felt a bit crass.) And caught quality roach and bream in abundance. A big hit of bait then a light leger became my go-to method for the place, and I've not found anywhere comparable since moving.

shane99

Reaction score
Bomb all day long. Just need to feed the area which is the problem if casting any distance.

A ground bait catapult would be better than spoding for disturbance etc etc

Reaction score
I'm not sure about that Shane,a mini spod is relatively quiet compared to a ball of groundbait imo,everyone to their own mind.

thecrow

Reaction score
A spod if cast correctly causes very little disturbance, its when its allowed just to crash down onto the surface rather than laying it down that they cause a commotion.

trotter2

Reaction score
I think both have there place.
Take for instance chub fishing with an open ended feeder and bread flake.
The bomb in conjunction with loose feed maggots is a very effective method and avoides spooking fish in gin clear water.
Each have a place.

shane99

Reaction score
yes fair comment about the spod, I was thinking more tangerine size balls of ground bait.

dicky123

Reaction score
Still or flowing water?

In flowing (like the Trent) I'm never 100% sure when feeding by hand just where my feed is going. In still water I'm fine. Slow flowing still ok.

Agree, its better landing a fish without a feeder dangling, but you can always fish it helicopter style, then it's below and not a problem. In still water helicopter would mostly be my preferred way for long range anyway.

Match anglers often find switching to a bomb when feeder fishing gets them more bites sometimes when the fish go off?

But even very shy fish like Chub come close to a feeder, so I don't think using a feeder would put fish off feeding?

shane99

Reaction score
Still water ****y123, its about a 30-40 yd chuck to the inaccessible far bank.