Source of float-making materials?

Xplorer1

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a source of materials (balsa bodies especially) for float making other than Fishing Weight Moulds of Eastbourne? They've been out of stock of what I want for months.

Cheers....Neil

Xplorer1

Reaction score
Thanks Graham. Unfortunately this is the same business as Fishing Weight Moulds (same address anyway), and I'm after the bodies for sliders, onions and avons. FWM lists them as out of stock, and Matt's Tackle doesn't even list them at all! I've been on the phone to them (FWM) and he just says "they're coming, wait".

chavender

Reaction score
Ilkeston ,derbyshire ,great britain ,earth ,The un
check these out ,sizes etc (these are from a good retailer ,fast delivery times ecellent service )

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/items/__balsa-float-bodies_W0QQ_frsZ1QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em359

just leave some of the 1 1/2" ones for me ! (1 lot is all i need) ,

if these are too small ,i`ll see what i`ve in stock ,i know i`ve some at (2 1/4" x 1/2" 13bb avon shaped ,about 30-40 ) good for bodied wagglers /sliders or large avons (either way up/inverted) the one that says 12bb+ (actually 13bb in tank test) second from right (those above are smaller probably 7bb+ or less and are like the second from left in picture below)

DSC00228.jpg

Last edited:

Xplorer1

Reaction score
That's a very generous offer. I would like a few (5 or 6)?. I'll PM you and we can work out details.
Cheers...Neil

captain carrott

Reaction score
modelling shop,

buy balsa,
put in electric drill chuck, you can put a screw in the end to aid this.
clamp drill to bench
switch on and make your own.
possibly
you only need pne small wood chisel in order to turn them.
and if i can do it then i'd expect you could as i normally only manage to make sawdust if faced with a piece of wood

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
There was a chap making and selling them on FM, he posted just a few weeks ago on the old site.

Made soem crackign floats he did, all whipped and in different materials, lovely old-fashioned traditional jobs.

Anyone know where you can buy the old fashioned cork perch bobbers?

chavender

Reaction score
There was a chap making and selling them on FM, he posted just a few weeks ago on the old site.

Made soem crackign floats he did, all whipped and in different materials, lovely old-fashioned traditional jobs.

Anyone know where you can buy the old fashioned cork perch bobbers?

george 387 of http://traditionalfloats.webs.com/Floats.htm fame is the man ,but he is taking time out at the pressent for personal reasons.

cork bdied bobbers:
on e-bay

but if you prefer the type george makes ,i can do these in crowquill ,cane & limited number in porcupine quill ,but i`ll only make them for FM members while george is away .as i don`t make floats for sale normally and this is just so george isn`t inundated right now .

i`ll do crowquill avons etc others we`ll see as i`ve only a limited stock of some materials. so if anyone needs any urgent (well relativly) i`m only a Pm away (here or the old site) but only until george is back .

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Why is that anglers, me included, look at floats such as George and now Chavender have put on display and think "hmmm! I must buy them" knowing full well that, pretty as they are, you don't really need them?

It isn't by accident that tackle shops have a load of floats on prominent display right where you are tempted to pick out yet another couple of wagglers to go with the 43 you already have. Its not that they are any better or that they are any different its just this constant need to buy them, we are a bit like women buying useless stuff they don't need in the sales "Darling, it was such a bargain I couldn't resist".

chavender

Reaction score
Why is that anglers, me included, look at floats such as George and now Chavender have put on display and think "hmmm! I must buy them" knowing full well that, pretty as they are, you don't really need them?

It isn't by accident that tackle shops have a load of floats on prominent display right where you are tempted to pick out yet another couple of wagglers to go with the 43 you already have. Its not that they are any better or that they are any different its just this constant need to buy them, we are a bit like women buying useless stuff they don't need in the sales "Darling, it was such a bargain I couldn't resist".

yes i agree its like women and shoes "got to have them ,they go with this or that item of clothing" and anglers use the same fuzzy logic "oh i need that float ,i know just the right swim ,perfect for that" .i don`t buy many myself (i tend to make them as i need them) never have ,I only have about a dozen crystal wagglers in verious sizes .some of them are from the nineties :eek: i guess i`m just carefull (or just tight) not too loose many

but thats the joy of making your own ,saves you money ? (well not really as materials cost more than shop brought floats ) but it is nicer catching on a float you`ve made or one you perceive as special ,i must admit a bit of vanity in that fishing just seems that tiny bit better with a well made good looking float thats looks better than a run of the mill off the shelf shop brought float .even more so if your fishing someware special it kinda rounds off the occation really !

George Lockhart

Reaction score
george 387 of http://traditionalfloats.webs.com/Floats.htm fame is the man ,but he is taking time out at the pressent for personal reasons.

cork bdied bobbers:
on e-bay

but if you prefer the type george makes ,i can do these in crowquill ,cane & limited number in porcupine quill ,but i`ll only make them for FM members while george is away .as i don`t make floats for sale normally and this is just so george isn`t inundated right now .

i`ll do crowquill avons etc others we`ll see as i`ve only a limited stock of some materials. so if anyone needs any urgent (well relativly) i`m only a Pm away (here or the old site) but only until george is back .

Chav as always your a star, thank you for the above post, I am at this time taking time out from making floats due to the health of the wife. For those interested I make my own bodies and also buy from moulds and from keith on ebay, a nicer person you cannot meet & he wont mess you around.

Xplorer1

Reaction score

You're absolutely right, Graham - it's a funny thing. I'm sublimating my float-buying urges into float-making ones! It slows me down a bit, and makes me realise, because of the effort involved in making them, that we need less float types/sizes than we think.

I'm finding, too, that it's more satisfying to catch fish on your own, home-made tackle. Now, can I make a rod, reel, line, hooks from raw materials??!

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
The "Treatyse on Fyshynge with an Angle" gives detailed instructions for rod, line and hooks; frankly, it seems a bit of a slog. Some jobs are best left to the trade, they've made the investment in production equipment; float-making isn't one of them. Nor is tying hooks to nylon, though it can save time...

There are plenty of suppliers of rod-building bits and bobs out there, even if you can't weave your own carbon-fibre blanks; you can also personalise an old rod by re-fitting it, getting the ring spacings just to your taste (not forgetting a keeper ring, and twin butt rings for centre-pin work) and adding little touches like paint-marks or whippings at (say) three-inch intervals, for depth-checking; whipping over your usual place for clipping on a sidewinder, to protect the blank; leading the butt of a cheapish rod to perk up the balance; giving it the stain/paint/varnish job of your choice and so forth.
Enjoy!

I can see how one might want to bend, trim and temper a hook just the once, so you could say you had, but making a habit of it would be just a little scary - after all, you could be fishing! And as for drawing silkworm gut - oh, we have no green-with-nausea smiley any more!

Once the bugs have been ironed out of our new home to the point where a technoprat such as I can easily include pictures in their posts, I might be posting a snag-by-snag account of a refurb (as much in search of tips as in hope of helping anybody else) - see you in the rod-building zone, with any luck!

captainbarnacles

Reaction score
I get most of my floats on ebay , all old floats some made as early as the thirties cork boddied are a fav of mine and i have roughly 400 maybe a grand total of a thousand in different types , The only thing that upsets me is witch one to choose on the day hehehe.

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
Used to have roughly 600 porcupine quills at one time,some clean and ready for float making and some with the usual chipped paint etc.....
I think i have around 200 now in various sizes,every time i see some at car boot sales i buy them,usually for pennies.
I buy them mainly as an investment i suppose....every so often i sell some to fund an item of tackle etc...i want.
I also have some celluloids and cork bodied ones including some Harcorks.
I would much rather use an old style/traditional type float now.Why just put them on display or consign them to the tip,they caught plenty of fish in the past and will continue to do so today!!!

Last edited:

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
Is George back to making floats yet or are you still offering to help out Chavender ???
I have a hankering for some of those lovely looking reed wagglers,i also have some blank porcupine quills that are crying out to be turned into floats.

One other thing,wasn`t there some articles related to float making that had links posted on here,possibly by George himself???

Last edited:

George387

Reaction score
Hi Nick, No as yet still not fully back to float making, well not totally true I made myself 2 the other day just to keep my hand in but Im not back to it fully, got my hands full at the moment.
There was some links to float making on the old forum but I think they have gone adrift, like my membership Ive been a member years but only now got a few posts from my profile...weird...lol, makes me feel young again...I wish! Will let you know when Im back to float making but will be by PM so I dont get swamped. cheers
George