Canal Fishing with Bread Punch

Rodney Wrestt

Reaction score
The carp will need a vastly different approach Steph, if you want to target them make up some paste and throw some small pieces down the margins throughout the session and you can drop a waggler in after a few hours. A 6lb - 10lb carp will give a great spot of entertainment all being at the opposite end of the angling spectrum from your main target species of the day.

Oh yeah, it is a real word by the way............................ you mean you doubt me? a fellow Scot?

jjc155

Reaction score
hi Viper. where you fish in stoke? canal i mean. i am thinking of visiting as used to be up uni there and never got round to fishing the canal. i used to live opposite it along the civic centre just outside stoke town.

what part of the canal is good?

thanks

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
Hello Markyx447,

Sorry m8, i don't live in Stoke the city centre i live in Stoke on Trent the district just on the borders of Cheshire, so don't really know the canal sections you are on about.
I fish a Canal stretch in Congleton.

---------- Post added at 06:20 ---------- Previous post was at 05:35 ----------

Well i have just finished getting my stuff ready for my days canal fishing, armed with my fishing pole and several whips and a mind full of useful knowledge about how to tackle the canal.

It's blowing a bloody gale out there, and the wind is really cold, just been out and loaded the car up.

It's still dark out, so i am going to have to wait around for the first signs of light before setting off on my short 10 minute journey.

Anyway guys, i hope you enjoy your stay on here whilst i am away braving the elements, oh, and will someone please let mr corker post first as he rarely gets the opportunity to do so when i am around :D

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
I just felt that to do honour to all the people who assisted me in this thread, that i felt it should be done with some thought, and consideration, rather than the usual drivvle that gets posted. :D

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
I went fishing yesterday on a stretch of my Local Canal in Congleton, Cheshire.

The strong winds made presentaing a Pole float on the far shelf extremely difficult so i opted to fish with a Whip instead. I fished at the bottom of the near shelf just were it levelled out on the Track which is about 3 metres out.

I fished using a 3 metre whip, that has had the metal eye removed and replaced with a Middy Whip Connector, this just makes it easier to attach your mainline to your whip as you just tie a loop in the end of your mainline and attach it like you would to a pole connector. The connector is just glued in to place, and the blue sleeve just slides up and secures the loop of your mainline in place.

501301-400x400.jpg

Middy Whip Connector

The mainline of my Rig Set up was was 2.13lb Garbolino line, to this was attached a 6 inch Hook Length of 1.7lb Garbolino line which was tied to a size 20 Kamasan B520 Whisker barb hook (to which i crushed the barb using my styl pincers) which is a personal choice, as i am not comfortable unhooking fish with a barbed hook in them.

The pole float was a Maver one of 0.20 grams with a wire stem and a thin bright orange bristle, which did make it a lot easier to see in the choppy conditions. I used a bulk of 5 number 10 Stotz with 3 number 11 stotz used as droppers in the last 18 inches all attached to the mainline, which is why i only used a 6 inch hooklength as i don't like attaching shot to my hook lengths.

The bait and free offerings consisted of, 4 slices of Liquidised bread to use as a groundbait (which on the day was more than plenty), and 2 slices of Warburtons medium sliced bread with the crusts cut off and the bread rolled out using a rolling pin. The slices of bread i was going to use as hook bait were then cut in to quarters which then allowed me only to remove a small slice of bread at any one time and the rest of the slices remained freshly wrapped up in Tin Foil.

On the day i used a 4mm Drennan Bread Punch to punch out the bread pellets, as i found that it helped to conceal the hook as well as being ample enough for the size of fish i was targetting.

The fishing was ok, a fish every 2 to 5 minutes, mainly Gudgeon but also some small roach and 1 skimmer, i fished for 5 hours and although i would have liked to have caught a few bigger roach and skimmers, the constant catching of small fish helped to keep my mind away from the cold blustery wind.

Here area few pictures to accompany this brief outline.

picture.php

The Canal Stretch

picture.php

The Bait used on the Day

picture.php

A Small selection of the Fish caught on the day (i didn't feel comfortable trying to take pictures of them all in a landing net)

A great big thank you to everyone that gave me some excellent advise on how to approach fishing on a Canal, and tips on how to best fish it. You helped to motivate me to give it a go, and i feel reasonably comfortable with going canal fishing again on my own, even though i know i still have a lot to learn, you have all given me a good start.

Last edited:

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
ok, now I see what the delay was all about,must have taken you a while to write and present the above. Well done...............

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Nice description of your day SV.

I wonder if your catch rate might have increased if you had fed punch crumb instead of liquidised bread?

On hard days (particularly cold ones) I think that liquidised bread feeds off fish too quickly whereas punch crumb just keeps them interested.

I did an artical some time back on Short Whip Fishing but cannot find it on the new FM - but feeding is covered; where I would rorationally feed at 10 - 12 and 2 o-clock and only take 2 or 3 fish from each segment before moving to the enxt.

Might help you next time.

Ah, just found the article: http://www.fishingmagic.com/features/howto/9225.html

Last edited:

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
Hello Peter,

I read your excellent article and really could see myself sitting at the bank side and applying those methods, However, i do have a couple of questions, you didn't mention using bread punch, would the same still apply to your fishing technique when using bread, as unlike fishing with Maggot and Pinkies, you always invariably end up having to replace the Bread on the hook.
Second question, do the same principles apply to fishing the Canal, to say fishing a Pool where the water is not flowing as such.

On the day that i used the whip on the Canal, i did start off using strung out shot, but, due to the difficult windy conditions i swapped it to a bulk of shot and then some droppers, because, i felt that it would aid the presentation. Was that the right thing to do, or, would you always fish with a bulk shot and then dropper shot?

---------- Post added at 19:47 ---------- Previous post was at 19:45 ----------

Thank you Slime and Mr Crabtree,

I really did have a great day, just catching regularly was a novelty :D