Night Fishing On The River

C

Carp Angler

What river, what are you hoping to catch, what methods do you want to employ and have you ever night fished before?

DAVE COOPER

Reaction score
Depends what river, where and what you are fishing for. More info is required to give any kind of considered opinion I think.

J

John Pleasance

.........and do you mean fishing all night or just a few hours into the dark?

The latter is the only option on weekdays after the clocks go back for someone who works "normal hours"

There are quite a few safety considerations to take into account when you do fish in the dark.I'm sure I don't really need to spell them out for you, just use your loaf.(Good bait too)

Basically Adam you won't catch any fish at home; it has to be worth a go,but there will be quiet times through the night and also good times.

Adam Abbott

Reaction score
as long as i feel like when i'm there....

Not going alone...

I do have goldfish... so you never know....

Cheers though...

D

Derek Lovell

What was the question, oh yes is it worth night fishing on the river of course it is.John Pleasance is absolutely right though safety first. If you are used to night fishing on stillwaters you are halfway there. But bear in mind that having running water in front of you on a still night in particular will increase the effect of the cold (exposure risk)so wrap up warm.Also falling into running water at any time can be in the least disorientating, at night it can be bloody fatal.Set up at least a yard further back from the edge than normal but most importantly enjoy your fishing. If you're fishing on after dark during the winter months it can be hard, so as soon as you stop enjoying that particular session pack up and go home there will always be other ones.

F

Fred Bonney

As stated above,I would say safety is the most important aspect when fishing rivers at night.
I walked a stretch of the Gt.Ouse last night, it has deeply undercut banks which because of the lack of rain are breaking away on top to at least, in some places ,two feet from the edge....fatal is the right word, especially in the dark.

Adam Abbott

Reaction score
I've been to the place at night before... and i'm glad to inform you all that i did'nt fall in or any other bad things... well except not catching anything.. hence why i ask if it is worth it....

Adam Abbott

Reaction score
I Mean... do the fish actually feed at night or would i have more chance catching a shark in my garden pond with 2lb line.... (and i havent even got one!(a garden pond that is not a shark)).... Was i just fishing wrong... is it me or the fish...

T

The Monk

For you to ask the question do fish feed at night Adam, I would suggest you gather a little more experience fishing still waters first before you move onto rivers, if thats possible, most fish feed during dusk and dawn while many species will feed through the night, it does however take a little while getting use to playing fish in the dark and you would best get this experience on a still water first, safety is the overiding factor here, while additionally we have the wintery months approaching and some rivers are prone to flooding, no a pleasant experience in the night?

T

The Monk

For you to ask the question do fish feed at night Adam, I would suggest you gather a little more experience fishing still waters first before you move onto rivers, if thats possible, most fish feed during dusk and dawn while many species will feed through the night, it does however take a little while getting use to playing fish in the dark and you would best get this experience on a still water first, safety is the overiding factor here, while additionally we have the wintery months approaching and some rivers are prone to flooding, not a pleasant experience in the night?

T

The Monk

Ha Ha actually I'd just drunk a bottle of Burbon, wish I had,nt now.

Tim Birch

Reaction score
For what its worth, I was dabbling in the edge of the river Don at dusk, on a deep stretch near conisbrough as there was one spot where there seemed to be quite alot of bottom feeding activity. Night fell, too dark, no night lights, packed up.
When darkness really fell the water surface came alive with feeding activity but only when true night was upon the water. It was like someone had turned a light on (??????).
Following night, weather same, same time (maybe different moon phase but dont get me started on that) Not a sausage, no movement.
Possible Conclusion.. You are never guaranteed to 'catch' fish feeding.
There are many factors effecting feeding habits of fish including weather, Dawn, Dusk, Lunar Phases and probably many unknown quantities, However one thing does seem to make sense. Larger, Older, Wiser fish are probably more active at night due to less disturbance from angling pressure.

Adam Abbott

Reaction score
Now thats the kind of reply i wanted....
I'm not taking what you say for gospel but a light Certainly did turn on..
Thanks Tim..