Full moon

Tim Birch

Reaction score
My apologies for bringing this up again (its going to need its own forum soon), but on the lunar theory:
I have read with interest the lunar catchrate theory for quite a while and though it all makes perfect sense I do not believe it applies to all fish.
There seems to be a generalisation of the subject to be good fishing days, but I believe certain fish are more active at different times in the lunar cycle.
For some reason I always seem to remember from my distant past how the full moon is a bad time to go fishing. I realise there is a school of thought that it makes for a brighter night thus fish keep to cover, but as lunar cycles go, supposed 'hot spots' fall in the middle of the day where this would not be applicable.
I must admit I dont think I've ever had a half decent day when the moon was full.
This does however fall in with my statement 'I do not believe it applies to all fish '. I have never fished on these days for Pike, Perch, Barbel or Carp which seem to be the 'in' fish to catch with this theory.
I believe the moonstrike site does say somewhere about the moon being a feeding trigger for 'predatory' fish. Maybe prey fish are inactive in this time to keep out of the way?
I have mainly fished for Roach/Rudd, Beam and Tench in the past year, all of which I would count as prey fish, or possibly shoal fish?
I think needs discussing more, If anyone has any ideas on this vein, (or more of the usual site p*#s taking, lifes a stage..) please join in.

J

john conway

Tim this is not really joining in, but there was a full noon on Saturday night and after not a single bite all day, as soon as it went dark the fish started topping and the bites started, The fact that I only landed one chub (all be it a decent one) was more down to a bit of bad luck or good escape techniques of the other chub, ran me into a snag, and my inability at not being able to hit some very fast bites. In short on this particular full moon the chub were feeding.

T

The Monk

In eeling circles one of the theories was that small invertibrates where attracted to the surface on the full moon cycle, these where then followed by insectivorious species and ultimately by eels?

T

The Monk

all flora and fauna (that includes fish and mammals like ourself)contains metal trace elements Fact

The moon has a gravitational effect (magnetic)pull on metals

therefore the science of moon phases is based on fact

The many theories ascertainly to the reaction of fish and fishing in moon phases however is not scientifically provened, that dosent of course mean its not based on some fact and the basic thinking and knowledge behind the theory would suggest so

T

The Monk

the earth spins at X revolutions in T time (a mathamatical formuli exists
that calculates/determines its eletro-magnetic effect) and as such its creates a gironic effect, the Lithosphere spews out basaltic metallic material types, which, dependant upon which side of the tectonic plate trench they fall, are determined by North and South polar gravitational effect on the said material types (were applicable) some materials are non magnetic of course

T

The Monk

the reaction (magnetic pull) between the earths material metals and the metalic trace elements in vegetable matter (Flora and Fauna)and the moon, will therefore have some significant effect and ultimately react against each other and remember all life forms, those at the base food chain levels (microscopic invertibrates, zoo plankton and phyto plankton will also contain some metalic trace elements) which are attracted by magnetic pull (the moon being a lunar magnet)

Well, thats my hypothesis and I'm sticking to it?

T

The Monk

magnetoriception, thats the scientific name!

why some people have a better sense of direction that others, all to do with magnetic north

S

Sascha Welsch

I'm not so sure Tim. Had a 22lb and a 25lb pike within 30 minutes of starting yesterday morning (7am) and went on to land another 5 doubles and a load of jacks which contradicts the full moon theory. I personally think it's got far more to do with barometric pressure, wind, temperature (air & water), the type of water you fish etc and checking back in my diaries I've had a number of good days on or around a full moon (especially pike).

I know that on a number of drains I fish a hard frost (such as we've had the last couple of nights) will kill them dead, hence I move to a different type of venue. e.g. deeper gravel pit or river.

S

Stuart Bullard

First off - Tim, judging by your picture you obviously only come out in the full moon!

Blimey Monk, give me an hour to digest that one....

I think Sascha has a point. I have heard people talk about blanking when it was a full moon, when sometimes I think they mean there were no clouds, high pressure and, lo and behold, they could see the moon - hence reporting catching nothing on a full moon. How many people catch in other conditions without actually knowing its a full moon?

Having said that Monk, I think its pretty common knowldege that there is an effect on animals. Hopefully that explains my wife's moods and total lack of sense of direction.

P

Phil Heaton

Well I now know why I fished all day Sunday and didn't get a bite. I tried trotting and ledgering with maggot, worm, bread, sweetcorn and cheese paste but the fish were'nt having it.
Nice theory and a good excuse, but a fisherman within a swim or two of me had 5 grayling......

Tim Birch

Reaction score
Many thanks for you replies however..
Sascha - sounds like a good day but my point was that, yes this theory may work for predatory fish but shoal fish?
Any thoughts on why they may not bite? or anyone notices different phases when 'prey' fish may be more active?
Monk, come on man blind me with science!
Oh and Stuart, actually you're not far from the truth. In my wilder less settled days I always made a point to go down town on a full moon, felt better , enjoyed it more - does that make me a lunatic?

Tim Birch

Reaction score
Tim this is not really joining in, but there was a full noon on Saturday night and after not a single bite all
day, as soon as it went dark the fish started topping and the bites started, The fact that I only landed
one chub (all be it a decent one) was more down to a bit of bad luck or good escape techniques of the
other chub, ran me into a snag, and my inability at not being able to hit some very fast bites. In short on
this particular full moon the chub were feeding
Sorry John nearly forgot,

I too fished all day sunday and I believe there was also a very unproductive match and did'nt get a knock.
I think another school of thought is that fish don;t seem to feed well until late afternoon/dusk in winter, maybe just before the temperature drops too much?
I'd be interested to know if you had much way after dark.

Tim Birch

Reaction score
Monk - how about a thesis on fish behaviour and the elements in an article.
Or a fishing science page somewhere. Could be very productive
Dumb it down abit though please, some of us are relaxing .

D

David Will

Full moon , don't like it however as I have no choice as to when I fish I do go. My biggest Roach was taken on a night of clear sky , full moon and not a breath of wind.I also have full on Carp angler pals who swear by similar nights in winter only for just one bite from what they call a big kipper.For a while I did try to gauge what Pike did in relation to moonrise time having read a bit of Alistair Nicholsons work. Unscientific as I was I did find it worked on occasions, one marked example was a twenty on a very bright sunny afternoon , it was the only run of the day and came 15 mins after moon rise time.

T

The Monk

Sasha raises a good point on baromic pressure (there is a theory on this) but I wont go on into it at the moment, it is another variable however.

as for writing a piece on the moonatic theory, no, not really I'd probably just talk myself into a corner and totally diagree with my original thoughts, I'm easily confused at times?

T

The Monk

no problem Tim, actually mankinds been confused since he first leant how to think,

probably best if we dont do too much of it!

T

The Monk

very true Tim. In fact I used to be very happy and excited fishing the large Lancashire reservoirs as a kid, my mind was alive with expectation of the fish which would be hovering over my baits, no matter where I cast to, the farther the better!

I was only after I bought my first fish finder that I realised, under certain conditions, the fish were not quite as evenly distrobuted as I once thought!

T

The Monk

In fact, it was quite possible, had I fished some of these pools for a weeks period, chances are my bait would have been over a mile away from any fish atall?