FishingMagic Forums

Go Back   FishingMagic Forums > FRESHWATER FISHING FORUMS > Coarse Fishing
Register Forums Blogs Classifieds FAQ Calendar Arcade Search Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2010, 11:59

Ray Roberts has a spectacular aura aboutRay Roberts has a spectacular aura about
Default Loc slide and Polaris floats.

I have fished many deep lakes in the past and my current club lakes are deep irrigation reservoirs.

I have always legered or used a sliding float. Legering is fine but as the contour of the lake bed is bowl shaped hitting exactly the same spot is critical, too close and you are over depth, too short and you are fishing up in the water.

I considered using Loc slides or Polaris floats but they seem to my mind at least to be extremely insensitive. Surely to show a bite, either the feeder/bomb would need to be moved by the biting fish or the entire buoyancy of the float (Up-thrust, if you like) would need to be overcome. Or, does this resistance cause a self hooking effect like a bolt rig.

I would like to hear your experiences and thoughts on this topic as I just can't bring myself to use a method whose faults seem so clearly apparent.
Old 07-03-2010, 12:56

The fishing coach is on a distinguished road

The way I see it is the biting fish only has to overcome the bouyancy of the amount of float you have left showing above the surface, the weight of the feeder or lead does the rest when you tighten down to it.

But then what do I know about applied mechanics.
Old 07-03-2010, 13:07

Rodney Wrestt will become famous soon enoughRodney Wrestt will become famous soon enough

Hi Ray,
I would suggest you used a paternoster rig with a Polaris, that way the feeder doesn't have to move at all and the float is sensitive enough to show sail away bites, as you mention the feeder or weight will act as a bolt rig eventually but it's not a necessity.
Old 07-03-2010, 13:10

Ray Roberts has a spectacular aura aboutRay Roberts has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by The fishing coach View Post
the weight of the feeder or lead does the rest when you tighten down to it.
Er, don't think so martin. The float is anchored by the weight/feeder. The float would have to suspend the weight for the buoyancy to be overcome. A soon as the float dips the fish would feel the buoyancy of the float or the weight of the feeder and proberbly a combination of the two. At the least, if the fish gave a lift bite then the fish would feel the portion of the weight of the weight/feeder not counteracted by the float's buoyancy.

Or am I missing something here.

---------- Post added at 14:10 ---------- Previous post was at 14:09 ----------

Sorry Rodney we passed like ships in the night.
Old 07-03-2010, 14:46

the indifferent crucian is on a distinguished road

Dave Thomas' Loc-Slide floats have to have shot of a certain capacity near the hook...I'm afraid I can't recall the ammount for each of the sizes available. I believe this is to give a taught line between shot and float so that the float may run to the surface and to separate the float from the hooklength when casting. You wind down with your reel to lower the float down into the water, once it has surfaced.

I possess some but have never used them, feeling like you, that they must be too insensitive. However I have watched Matt Hayes use one with deadly effect for bream at distance, so it can be done.
Old 07-03-2010, 15:01

Rodney Wrestt will become famous soon enoughRodney Wrestt will become famous soon enough

The indicated weight is required to cock the float accurately but the float isn't locked on the line until an angle is created inside the line tubes on the float's base by tightening up the line, this creates an angle between where the float is in relation to where the feeder and hook is settled and the rod tip. That's why it only takes a slight movement of the handle to either sink or raise the float tip and the bait remains stationary.
Old 07-03-2010, 17:19

The Sogster is on a distinguished road

I have used the polaris floats for years on canals, rivers and stillwaters.
I have always found them to be very sensitive when using either a semi-fixed or running leger.
I think that the float really only has to overcome the weight of the line between itself and the hook due to the way the polaris floats lock onto the line. It is only the tension in the line which 'locks' the float at depth. This means that with little resistance from the lead (use a large run ring) a fish can pull the float under easily against the tension of the rod tip/ slack clutch/ baitrunner, similarly a fish releasing tension on the line causes the float to rise and lay flat.
Old 07-03-2010, 17:44

The fishing coach is on a distinguished road

Works on the same principle as the old lift method as used by Fred Taylor and Walker for tench.
Old 07-03-2010, 17:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by The fishing coach View Post
Works on the same principle as the old lift method as used by Fred Taylor and Walker for tench.
Yup, except it finds the correct depth itself.
Old 07-03-2010, 18:07

Ray Daywalker Clarke is on a distinguished road

Ray,

I like to use the Loc slide float, when fishing at distance, i find them better than the polaris.

Use a running feeder or lead, and tighten up the line as required. I have found the bite indication to be fine.

I use a swivel at the end of the main line and a bead, when you tighten up the feeder/lead hits the bead, there is no need for any shot at all, the weight comes from the feeder/lead.

Lift bites show up very well, but I have never found this way of fishing to be like a bolt rig.