FishingMagic Forums

Go Back   FishingMagic Forums > FRESHWATER FISHING FORUMS > Coarse Fishing
Register Forums Blogs Classifieds FAQ Calendar Arcade Search Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2010, 19:23

Stealph Viper will become famous soon enoughStealph Viper will become famous soon enough
Question Doubled Up Pole Elastic

Hello Everyone,

It has just come to my attention that a lot of anglers seem to be using doubled up pole elastic in thier pole top kits.

What are the advantages and disadvantages to setting up your top kits this way ?

Also, how do you set these doubled up elastics in your top kits, i have an idea of how i think it would be done, i am just seeking other peoples knowledge and perhaps experience in setting them up.

Have you tried it, if not do you think you would be willing to?

Obviously if you don't fish with a pole then perhaps this thread is not for you, but feel free to join in if you feel you can contribute to it.

Tight Lines
Old 04-04-2010, 19:39

peter crabtree will become famous soon enough

Hi Steph, this started about 2 or 3 years ago. To set it up...
for example doubled up no 5 elastic. Get your wire and thread the laccy through your top 2 - 3 -1. then thread on your connector/stonfo, thread the tag end back through the top and so forming a loop and you end up with two tag ends at the bung end. tie the bung onto both tag ends and trim as necessary.

IMHO another marketing ploy by manufacturers to sell more laccy........

never tried it personally but some swear by it.
Old 04-04-2010, 19:46

Stealph Viper will become famous soon enoughStealph Viper will become famous soon enough

Thanks Peter,

I didn't realise it started so long ago, perhaps i am just so out of touch with fishing and it's Fads.

I spoke to a guy the other week who was using a doubled up Number 4 elastic in his top kit, i didn't really want to pester him on how and why he used it as i didn't want to disturb his fishing.

I thought i might like to give it a try, in say a 4, 5 and 6 as i think that would cover a lot of my fishing.

Thank you for your reply.

---------- Post added at 20:46 ---------- Previous post was at 20:44 ----------

What i thought i would do is, thread a connector on to the elastic, double the elastic over so that it is even lengths, tie an over hand knot in the ends of the elastic so that it forms 1 large loop of elastic, thread this through the top kit and then connect it to the Bung, is this the correct way of doing it?
Old 04-04-2010, 19:59

sagalout is on a distinguished road

Why not just use a heavier elastic?

I can see that if you double the bottom half you would still get the original "strength" at the top and a "stronger" elastic as the top starts to bottom out, but I dont see the point of doubled all the way thruogh.

In fact if the memory is functioning correctly (not always the case on a sunday evening ) I think there was an article on this very site about pole elasticating that showed a graph of resistance against stretch using a doubled bottom.

I hope this makes sense (not always the case on a sunday evening ).
Old 04-04-2010, 20:03

Graham Whatmore has a spectacular aura aboutGraham Whatmore has a spectacular aura aboutGraham Whatmore has a spectacular aura about

Double elastics go back many years, we were doing that with No 8 elastics in the early 90's when it was the biggest one made. These days it is only done with light elastics, No.2's and 3's usually when fishing for small fish but getting the odd bigger one such as a bream. There are elastics for every occasion now and doubled up elastic is strictly for match anglers who know what are going to catch and can't afford to lose fish or play them too long, even the odd one.

Politicians, like diapers, have to be changed frequently - and for the very same reason

Last edited by Graham Whatmore; 04-04-2010 at 20:08.
Old 04-04-2010, 20:04

Rodney Wrestt will become famous soon enoughRodney Wrestt will become famous soon enough

I've seen the double up version you're talking about but never tried it, I'm happy using the older version of a 10" doubled up section at the bung end, makes more sense to me having the power build gradually as the lacy is stretched.
Old 04-04-2010, 20:10

sagalout is on a distinguished road

Just remembered I saw this the other day, the Maver (can I have afree top kit please) Muletto

YouTube- Paste Fishing & Muletto demonstration
Costs about £6 without a topkit.
Old 04-04-2010, 20:28

Graham Whatmore has a spectacular aura aboutGraham Whatmore has a spectacular aura aboutGraham Whatmore has a spectacular aura about

Thems old hat, this is what is used now, both my carp top threes have this set up

Politicians, like diapers, have to be changed frequently - and for the very same reason
Old 04-04-2010, 21:18
Moaning Marlow Meldrew

Jeff Woodhouse will become famous soon enoughJeff Woodhouse will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealph Viper View Post
I didn't realise it started so long ago,
Like Graham says, many years ago. Keith Arthur used it for many years, perhaps still does.
Old 04-04-2010, 21:51

The practice of doubling up the No. 8 elastics started in the Irish festivals when they were fishing to hand for bream, it saved time playing the fish especially on the Shannon and the Erne systems. Early doors when it first started being used regularly there weren't any of these carp lakes, well not in the match fishing world there weren't but it worked on our rivers for chub and maybe even the odd small barbel and remember that 11 and 12.5 mtr poles were the norm in those days too. Personally I preferred just the single elastic but I rarely if ever used a pole in river matches, much preferring the traditional stick or waggler.