wells cat fish in rivers

J

jason fisher

I seem to remember a few years ago hearing a rumour that some one had weighed in a cat fish from the trent during a match. does anyone know if the rumour was true and if it was are they still there. does anyone know of anybritish river with a cat in it

A

Andy Ball

several years ago i remember a report from the ribble of a cat , cant remember how big (think mid 20s )there was a piccie with it and it looked right for stated weight etc mind you it could have come from anywhere , at the time i remember thinking that there were no other waters round here where it could have come from , then again you only got capters word it from ribble

P

Phil Hackett

Andy
From memory the Ribble cat you are referring to may have been 17 lb. It has over the years been caught several times from the same area since the late 1980s. The first weight I seem to remember it coming out at was 8 lbs. Then 13 and as I say the last time I remember was 17, it may have come out since at 20. The area is the pool behind the Church at Salmesbury.

A

Andy Ball

cheers phil i thought i hadnt imagined it , wonder where it came from , is it still there ,are there any more , supose there could be anything dumped in the rivers could live its whole life virtually un-noticed . there`s a cat in my local lake not big 14lb ish it used to come out mainly to carpers two or three times every year , it never got caught for three years everybody thought it had died or been nicked then it came out on a tiger nut last summer had three other hook links in its mouth , fought like mad even on carp gear took 15 mins to land

B

Budgie Burgess

Try and get in touch on one of the forums with Pete Waller.He has quite a lot of info on cats caught by Pike anglers in his area.

P

Phil Hackett

Budgie
Pete occasionally visits this site. I know hew lives in deepest Norfolk somewhere on the Broads. Not sure just where though?