Making your own

Wobbly Face (As Per Ed)

Reaction score
When my mother-in-law was alive and worked in a bakery, she used to bring me a few loaves (the baker would not sell of his bread at the end of the day as people would not go in until the shop was due to close just to get the cheep bread). These I would dry out and crumb up. Sometimes added brown crumb from bought groundbait, add crushed hemp or normal hemp. I would add flavouring to the water prior to mixiing, tutifruiti and even molasses, some times add colouring to water.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
The only home made groundbait I have had regular success with is liquidised bread, I have spent hours concocting various ingredients and usually regretted it .

Me too....liquidised bread is all I bother with as I'm a bit fussy about my "magic dust". When I was very young I remember reading about flour and water paste being good for rudd so I made some of that [at home] but by the time I got there it had set like concrete.

I once tried grilling some hemp but Mrs Skippy threw it [and me] out the back door. A very scary woman at times :eek:

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Making your own groundbait is a waste of time I reckon. Commercial groundbaits are far superior to anything you can make at home, you might add to them but you won't better them. Adding brown crumb to a commercial groundbait can eke it out a bit to save on cost but thats about all.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Today I mixed magic with secret and a pinch of turbo, , fairly dry for cloud effect, fed a small ball to start with ,then topped up with a few cups more ...........

5 hours later .............

nuffink ,blanked ......

nicky

Reaction score
I make quite alot of groundbait, i save up bread and when the weather is dry i dry the bread in the garden in a large net and then grind it, to this i add ground vitalin and sometimes crushed hemp all good staple fish attractors, I also add fishmeal pellets crushed castors etc.
I catch lots of fish using these baits.

Andrew Macfarlane

Reaction score
The local shops keep their dated bread for me, which I allow to dry for a day or two but not completely. I then liquidise it and place it in a basin, usually at the back of my TV, where it's warm but not hot. After a day or two, it's bone dry. I'll add coconut, turmeric, milkshake powder, liquidised fish pellet, crushed hemp...all kinds of stuff.
I'm completely happy using my own groundbait but now and again I'll add a bag of shop-bought stuff to it. lately I've put SwimStim, Sensas Gold, Nutrabaits Carp Method, Sensas Explosive Feeder in it.
Whatever goes in it, it all gets mixed in and I just keep a big mix in the one tub and use it for everything because it should appeal to most species on one level or another.

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
Graham

I've got to disagree with you. Liquidised bread as a chub groundbait in the winter is an amazing attractor and I'm not sure you'd find a commercially produced alternative that would have the same effect?

Incidentally, i've had great success with liquidising sweetcorn (with the water from the tin) then adding the resulting mush to several handfuls of pellets. Leave that over night and you get a great method mix that binds well and releases loads of flavour and tiny bits of cloudy corn around the method feeder.

Another great homemade groundbait addition is grated meat. Simply grate a tin of luncheon meat through a normal cheesegrater's biggest holes - voila, tiny slivers of meat that will drive fish mental.

Last edited: