The river Thames fish-in today......

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Got to Mc Donald's in Benson around 8:15 to find Andy ( Smudger ) waiting.
Ian ( it's fishing not catching ) and Stephen ( fruit owl ) were inside having a coffee. It was very chilly and frosty as we set off for the river, a very nice stretch at Carmel college of which Andy is a member. We settled into 4 consecutive swims and set up...the river was pushing a bit and very coloured. I started on a top4 rig on the pole with a 2gr float well overshotted to hold back on. Andy and Stephen opted for feeders while Ian fished a big stickfloat. Stephen had a Gudgeon and a dace on worm and I caught one chublet on double maggot...
The upstream wind got steadily stronger and then it started to rain too. I think we all felt like enough was enough and we packed up and went around 1:30.

image23.jpg

View image in gallery[/

Ian.

L. Stephen R. Andy.

Me and my chublet.....

Shame about the weather but an enjoyable morning anyway....

Thanks Andy...​

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Not the best of conditions...better luck next time gent's :).

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
Thank you for today Andy, it's a lovely stretch of river which I'll definitely fish again if invited, conditions were not ideal but Simon gave me some good advice on feeder fishing so I've learned something new which I'm sure will add another string to my bow. Never underestimate the Thames guys, it can be deep fast and unforgiving..................................."I'll be back":D

---------- Post added at 17:38 ---------- Previous post was at 17:36 ----------

Heroes to a man.I would not have wanted to be outside today...let alone fishing!

Confession time S-Kippy, I took a chair and a brolly :wh:eek:mg:

The Runner

Reaction score
Given the state of the river and last night's temperatures (I'm assuming it was minus several last night - Benson area is regularly one of the coldest places in the South) you did well to catch at all. Looks like the traditional Winter League "Pole Feeder and a Prayer Mat" conditions...

Reaction score
Were there lady oars on the Thames?

...which clearly wasn't running softly (that's a literary reference...look it up you lazy lot)

Looks like a really good training session for when you all come up to the PaSC event - Spiders will be contacting you all for your subs, vat and the financial bond for good behaviour and manners.

Looks like sitting in the snowfall in the lee of the Cairngorms was little different to your day.

Nice one lads

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
Were there lady oars on the Thames?

...which clearly wasn't running softly (that's a literary reference...look it up you lazy lot)

Looks like a really good training session for when you all come up to the PaSC event - Spiders will be contacting you all for your subs, vat and the financial bond for good behaviour and manners.

Looks like sitting in the snowfall in the lee of the Cairngorms was little different to your day.

Nice one lads

I wasn't going to mention lady rowers, didn't want to over excite you and Del, a couple even took a short stop opposite me and wished me a hushed "Good Morning", where's the Port and Stilton when you need it :cool::rolleyes:

I did offer an invite to Peter Crabtree as the conditions were so similar, he declined. Apparently he doesn't have a pet skimmer to bring with him to avoid the blank even though I intimated you generally brought a spare one or two:wh
Rowers! One would think you had been on a PaSC do at Dam Flask.

For a second when I closed my eyes I could have been there Neil