Nice little film of a virtuoso Speycaster

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
in action by Eoin Fairgrieve (himself a Master and world champ) plus cameraman / director.

Nice music, too.

Black River on Vimeo

Seeing a lot of this "Soul Fishing" flyfishing stuff coming out at present. After the shameless white-hot self-promotion and product placement / bedhopping endorsement of the past twenty years, some of the old lags (not Eoin, lovely lad I hear) are all going a bit squeaky-clean, "I never had sox with that woman" Bill at present.

Even Matt has retreated to his Norwegian salmon-fishing lodge and gone all "I'm getting it together in me teepee" soulful.

Lights Will Guide You on Vimeo

I would, disappear to somewhere, but know that I'd only fire the starting gun on another mass fishy migration and neo-Colonial landgrab and war. Best to stay put, to maintain a Zen silence, and above all to watch absolutely no TV.

slaphead

Reaction score
It all helps to pay the bills, Paul.

Product placement is everything, these days.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Of course.

Today I have mostly been doing the nasty necessary with Poundland Andrex.

nicepix

Reaction score
I would, disappear to somewhere, but know that I'd only fire the starting gun on another mass fishy migration and neo-Colonial landgrab and war. Best to stay put, to maintain a Zen silence, and above all to watch absolutely no TV.

Of course you could just disappear to somewhere, keep quiet about it and no one would know. Would they? :wh

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Whatever you say, Nicepix. Don't start up on your "stuff" again here, please. Fishing Magic has only got me on a very tenuous, probably only very temporary loan from the better nature and love of Angling side of me. Stop it now, please - you have a multi-site record of trying to stick one on me, of scandalous sniping, name-calling and trashing, apropos of nothing at all. Go and chase a French mole, not me, please.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It is all about having faith even with all the heart ache.:)

nicepix

Reaction score
Whatever you say, Nicepix. Don't start up on your "stuff" again here, please. Fishing Magic has only got me on a very tenuous, probably only very temporary loan from the better nature and love of Angling side of me. Stop it now, please - you have a multi-site record of trying to stick one on me, of scandalous sniping, name-calling and trashing, apropos of nothing at all. Go and chase a French mole, not me, please.

Why don't you give it a rest? Virtually every post whether it be a link to a fly-casting champion or an obituary of a famous and much-loved angler is used by you as a platform to flagellate yourself with increasingly absurd and nauseating claims.

Why not just post something interesting without using it as a vehicle for self-promotion?

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Why don't you give it a rest? Virtually every post whether it be a link to a fly-casting champion or an obituary of a famous and much-loved angler is used by you as a platform to flagellate yourself with increasingly absurd and nauseating claims.

Why not just post something interesting without using it as a vehicle for self-promotion?

Okay, he clearly can't stop.

I gave FM a couple of week's break from Jan 1st after 18 months of unmoderated non-stop nastiness from the above chappie. Time to give it another, maybe longer, until some learn to be civil.

Owners / Moderators, please note.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Or, if you can't stand each other's 'advice', you could both just put each other on ignore and spare the rest of us the schoolboy stuff.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
No, Geoff. If a man can't post perfectly harmless and sometimes rather nice stuff on an angling forum without some serial pest hitting on him, then he is best gone for good - as I told my non-fishing friends that I would be in 2014 in a Christmas 2013 email: from forums, from Angling as it is done in public: "simply too much stupidity and grief".

You have had the better part of a decade of me here, I see; time I was gone.

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
No, Geoff. If a man can't post perfectly harmless and sometimes rather nice stuff on an angling forum without some serial pest hitting on him, then he is best gone for good - as I told my non-fishing friends that I would be in 2014 in a Christmas 2013 email: from forums, from Angling as it is done in public: "simply too much stupidity and grief".

You have had the better part of a decade of me here, I see; time I was gone.

How will we cope? :eek:mg:

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
in action by Eoin Fairgrieve (himself a Master and world champ) plus cameraman / director.

Nice music, too.

Black River on Vimeo

Seeing a lot of this "Soul Fishing" flyfishing stuff coming out at present. After the shameless white-hot self-promotion and product placement / bedhopping endorsement of the past twenty years, some of the old lags (not Eoin, lovely lad I hear) are all going a bit squeaky-clean, "I never had sox with that woman" Bill at present.

Even Matt has retreated to his Norwegian salmon-fishing lodge and gone all "I'm getting it together in me teepee" soulful.

Lights Will Guide You on Vimeo

Someone else, the boss of a major outdoor clothing and tackle corporation going all stripped-back soulful here.

The Patagonia School of Fly Fishing - WSJ.com

Last time I saw the man was when he was arriving from California via Buenos Aires at a tiny, far southern Argentine airport as I was heading out of it having just seen the last stretch of a very fine local river he was arriving to fish finally privatized like all its other stretches had been in the past couple of years and so denied to less well-heeled local flyfishers and spinfishers by a legal loophole and lock the gates backdoor.

I flew half an hour or so due west in a small plane into southern Chile that day, where, during the subsequent fortnight, on a river that had not yet been "done and dusted" by the international boys, I had a remarkable Grand Slam / McNab - some nice resident brown and rainbow trout on 5-weight dry fly and nymph gear, then a 12-pound sea-trout and a 14-pound steelhead on 8-weight gear, all on the same day. A Chilean pal fishing with me during that fortnight also managed a Grand Slam - he substituted my sea-trout for a ruddy great Pacific King salmon.

No names, no pack drill, no Tenkara.

Last edited:

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
And I'll use this as a (studies fingernails) chance to grace you all with the knowledge that I landed a 20lb wild steelhead last week from a NW USA river.
Autographed photos available on request with SAEs. :)

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Too right, Geoff. We Nothing Unless We're Talked About, Super Hero Fishers and Ambassadors need all the ego-boosting and identity-affirming Respect and Praise we can get.

Tip: If I get an especially grovelling letter from a fan, I'll even sign a photo myself; otherwise it's the usual team of terribly nice elderly ladies in a local care home, who'll do anything for a shot of cooking Sherry....

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Too right, Geoff. We Nothing Unless We're Talked About, Super Hero Fishers and Ambassadors need all the ego-boosting and identity-affirming Respect and Praise we can get.
Yes. That probably describes the character which was me 25 years ago. Hopefully I'm a bit older and wiser now. Kids eh ;)

But the 20lb steelhead was TRUE!! :)

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Good fish, Geoff. I had one of the same size (my biggest) on another Chilean trip in the early 2000s. Fly around and pull a bit, don't they? Leave the great majority of Atlantic salmon for dead, fight-wise. Those wishing to see just how they "go" should look for a short video made last year (YouTube? Vimeo?) by the Salmon Junkies fishing travel outfit about Canadian British Columbian Skeena River steelhead.

But as for publiciity ... ah, the Disease of Fame...

BBC - Podcasts and Downloads - A Point of View

Worth a 5MB download and a few minutes of anyone's precious time.

paulb290

Reaction score
Oh my lord .. just joined FM yesterday .. looking thru the forum and came across you two... almost forgot about it as it was you pair at it years back on an other forum , cannot believe your still battling away .

Anyway .. nice video's .:rolleyes: