winter trout fishing

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
firstly is it worth it?

I'm going to go trout fishing over the Christmas period and it will be to a commercial trout water, my questions are
1 how likely will I be to catch
2 should I be going nymph
3 what flies should I use

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I would say:

1. Your catch rate will be somewhat lower than that which you experience in the Summer months.

2. Not necessarily, a lot will depend on the conditions on the day, I have had successes on a relatively warm day on a dry fly.

3. I would kick-off with a Black Buzzer, Montana Nymph, Diawl Bach in all its variation and smaller versions of a baby doll maybe. also never leave home without a Pheasant Tail Nymph and a few different sizes of Shrimp or Czechs. A few good lure patterns are a good bet too.

Use a good intermediate or sinking line and a slow retrieve, figure of eight method, as the Trout won't want to chase too quickly.
Depending on the conditions the fish can be at any depth but start out as deep as you can and work upwards on successive casts and try to find the depth they are laying at. They can even [FONT=&quot]take emerging insects, such as chrinominids, which are active all year round.[/FONT]

Don't forget to wrap up warm with several layers too, once the sin gets low it gets pretty cold.

Good luck

Last edited:

greenie62

Reaction score
firstly is it worth it?
I'm going to go trout fishing over the Christmas period and it will be to a commercial trout water, my questions are
1 how likely will I be to catch
2 should I be going nymph
3 what flies should I use

Always worth a go Paul, providing you can get through the ice! :eek: The fish will be mainly living on the bottom and you'll need to get down to them. However - depending on the weather - they may come up in the water - as they did at my local commercial fly water last winter - 29th Dec saw fish moving well up in the water with some caught on dry flies.
I would probably go for small black emerger fished almost static just in/under the surface film - with the occasional little twitch (v.slow figure8 retrieve) - just enough to stop your fingers freezing! My mate would go with a team of flies - the GRHE, small PTN, and a Black Pennell - again a very slow Fig8.
Don't try and feel for takes - you'll either get no feeling in your fingers with the cold - or you'll get a 'smash' take - watch the leader 'stopping' or 'zipping' instead!
Tight Lines!