Hardy Zenith Sintrix

Reaction score
Question: Hardy Zenith Sintrix fly rods are currently on sale at roughly 50% off full retail price. At these prices they would seem like an absolute bargain but... would you buy one?
I've been looking at various makes of fly rod to replace my cheap Flextec rod.
The Flextec is OK and excellent value for the money but I'd like to upgrade to something which will give me extra distance when needed and also be able to place a fly at short range when stalking on stillwaters. The subject of which fly rod will be subjective. Everyone will have their particular favourites like Orvis, Sage, Loomis, Guideline et al, so, without being able to try out numerous rods, what should I do?
BTW I have read that Hardy's and Grey's customer service has been below what you'd expect in recent years. Any experiences of this?

Aussie Bob

Reaction score
Richard is there any reason why you cant find a retailer / fly club where you can go have a go casting with one ? The reviews seems very good from a quick glance on the net.
Not sure about what else would be available at around the same price point or cheaper that might be suitable ? I bought my rod from the UK (Sonik) blind unseen which is a bit of a risk but i am happy with it , i would have preferred to try it out first but it wasnt an option. I looked at my price point found a few rod's that looked good and researched via the net for non sponsored reviews and went from there.
Hopefully the members on here can maybe give you some other options or have used the Hardy to give you an idea of whether it will meet your needs.

keora

Reaction score
About 10 years ago I bought a 9ft Greys 5/6 weight rod for about £90. I use it for wet and dry fly fishing on a local river. It's a good rod, I once broke the top section and Greys sent me a replacement for a small payment. They still offer this replacement service.

Last year I bought a 10ft Greys Streamflex 4 weight, costing about £200. I wouldn't normally spend this much on a rod, but it was recommended to me as being a good rod for traditional northern wet fly fishing. It's made to a high standard, although it has a high gloss finish, so it flashes a lot in the sunlight. I used it to catch 16 grayling one morning last week, fishing down and across with a nymph and a spider pattern fly.

Greys also sell rods which are cheaper than the Streamflex.

I suggest finding a suitable rod in a shop, rather than buying unseen from the net. I've twice bought rods without seeing them, and I ended up giving them away.

Greys Fly - Products - Flyfishing Rods - Single Handed - XF2 Streamflex

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies gents,

All the retailers I use are in town centres so trying out a rod isn't an option.
I've also heard good things about Grey's rods but such a pity about the high gloss finish, like most other 'off the peg' rods.
The Flextec rod I use was completely stripped down and painted in a matt black colour and single-leg fuji guides whipped on with contrasting red whippings. I didn't like the cheap looking snake rings and with fly lines being expensive, didn't want to shred them to bits.

Perhaps Harrison Rods might be an option for a blank which I can finish to my own requirements?

Still, that Hardy rod at half price does seem to be a great bargain.

Decisions, decisions...