My Ise Odyssey

billynoband

Reaction score
The Ise sections below Wicksteed park are fishing well after dropping from the snow water. I had the embarased to have 6 casts in 6 swims in Burton pocket park and had fish within 30 seconds in 4 of those. Managed to catch a proper chub from the last swim at 4ib 12oz, much bigger than the usual stamp of fish.
I have been fishing there for years now and still every other angler you meet has had a 6 pounder :j. Still can't seem to manage a big roach myself as the chub are too greedy and the few that are left must have trouble catching any bait. The section over the road from Wicksteed park is the best bet for huge roach but too clear/weedy even now.

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
It`s nice to know that folk are still fishing it and still catching some good fish. The second and third part were supposed to have been completed by the end of last year but as usual,life has a habit of kicking you in the nuts and things never turn out as you plan.
I will endeavor to do part two before the end of the season.

billynoband

Reaction score
Tried the section between skate park and Wickies park just before the season ended and guess what? No roach just big greedy chub hanging themselves on my bread flake after dark. The conditions were perfect for roach too, a good flow and coloured water. Of the three chub the biggest was 3lb 8oz.
Will I ever get a big roach again? I have not even bothered weighing one for years but now can't even get a average one from the section where they were dominant even 5 years ago.

billynoband

Reaction score
Well it's 2012 now and still no big roach showing. I wrote off 2011 season as the water level was so low that even crawling up to the water edge after dark had the chub thrashing around scarpering.
This summer there is a fair bit of streamer weed which is spoiling Burton pocket park as after dark I cannot stop snagging it.
The part near the A14 flyover has been good though with a few chub to around 3 pounds after dark. The smaller ones have even been taking big baits on big hooks and 6ib line in daylight. Had a good chub as well trotting a float under the bridge near tesco rbt in the river slade.

neil atkins

Reaction score
The Burton pocket park seems to hold chub of a higher average then most areas of the Kettering Ise, it helps that the swims are 'highly fishable'. I did spot a huge lone Roach here in 2012. It was that big that at first I thought it was a Bream, due to its 'Bin lid-like' proportions - and i know theres no Bream in there, so it shows how big it was as it 'did not compute!' I'm sure it was just over 2lb but no more then 2lb8oz. Unfortunately it was surrounded by Chub and there was no way I could pick it out. The cast resulted in a 2lb Chub. It reminded me of the time I tried to pick out a 6lb Koi carp from the Ise around Wicksteed, but again a Chub won the race....god knows what happened to that fish.

I'm sure the pocket park could produce a 5lbder this winter, just need to find the time.

As for the skate park area, this for me was an area I could fish free from Chub and catch higher then average Roach, but the Chub have seemed to have moved in over the last few years. In 2005 I caught two 1lb12oz Roach, two years previous my friend has a 2lbder.

However I knew things were changing in 2006 when I had a 4lb+ Chub in that area.

Justin, are you suggesting you had a baby Ise Barbel?

Regards, Neil

paul ca

Reaction score
Hi,

I read the first part of The Ise Odyssey with interest and really enjoyed it.

Is part 2 still to come out or have I missed it?

On the topic of Burton Pocket Park, what generally are the best baits and tactics during the summer months or is it worth waiting till the Autumn / Winter?

Thanks

Paul

eddie p

Reaction score
I've been fishing the Ise between Warkton and Burton Latimer since the 1980s. I've compiled a little guide to my part of this lovely little river.

kettering_ise_guide.jpg

Fishing Guide to the River Ise through Kettering, Northants.

All areas are free fishing (remember you still need a licence, the enviroment agency visit once or twice a year to check them) except 13 & 14, which are presently controlled by Thrapston and Kettering Angling Club.
I wrote this in spring 2013, and being a small spate river, it changes from season to season.

1. Boughton House Estate. Out of bounds. No fishing without the prior consent of the gamekeeper.
2. A few spots that can hold summer chub 1lb-2lb
3. Try the bends for chub and small shoals of larger roach.
4. A large hole that is popular with kids. always holds a shoal of small roach, including a few larger ones.
5. Between the large hole, and the alotments, the river is pretty barren of fish.
6. Lots of fish. chub 2lb-4lb, and roach, which in some swims, average between 1lb-2lb. best in summer, but can be quite busy with dog walkers and joggers.
7. 2 overhanging trees, which are usually good for a chub.
8. a few shoals of small roach, not really worth fishing.
9. has produced Roach over 4lb in past decades. fish around the storm drain for a good bag of small roach.
10. the swims just above the A6 can produce big bags of roach in winter.
11. Wicksteed Park. Out of bounds. No fishing between the A6, and the broken concrete sluice.
12. difficult access above the metal bridge, but some good chub, and big roach. Run off streams from the lake are devoid of life, due to lack of oxygen.
13. Wickstead park lake £5 a day, tickets from baliff. Unfortunatley, neglected. only worth fishing late spring and early summer for tench.
14. River Slade. in previous years has held good shoals of winter roach, and chub up to 6lb. fishing has declined, but still holds a few roach, chub, and (since 2011) a few bream.
15. Cross over the railway bridge behind the lake for access to 15-20. try the hawthorn swim, for big chub, and a good shoal of roach.
16. some good trotting spots for roach, and some very big chub. A few dace starting to appear too.
17. a nice deep hole. feeder fishing best, due to uneven bottom. roach, chub and perch.
18. some very big roach, and good chub, but inaccessable due to overgrown banks.
19. deep hole on the corner can fish well in summer.
20. looks good, but barren.
21. inaccesible, due to railway line, overgrown banks and Weetabix.

Other fish: pike to 20lb, but the size of the river makes then difficult to target. Rainbow trout- I've caught 3 to 7lb, but I've not seen one since the 90s. Carp do ocasionally escape from the leisure village lake into the Slade. I see a few tench in the river every season, but have never caught one. The fabled grayling do exist, I've caught 1 in 30 years. Gudgeon- now extinct in this part of the river.

I hope this is useful to somebody. If you want anymore info: brianasharp@live.co.uk
Please respect the river, its fish, wildlife and its other users.
Brian.

Last edited:

paul ca

Reaction score
Hi,

Interesting review but I cannot open the jpg.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Paul

justin simms

Reaction score
The Burton pocket park seems to hold chub of a higher average then most areas of the Kettering Ise, it helps that the swims are 'highly fishable'. I did spot a huge lone Roach here in 2012. It was that big that at first I thought it was a Bream, due to its 'Bin lid-like' proportions - and i know theres no Bream in there, so it shows how big it was as it 'did not compute!' I'm sure it was just over 2lb but no more then 2lb8oz. Unfortunately it was surrounded by Chub and there was no way I could pick it out. The cast resulted in a 2lb Chub. It reminded me of the time I tried to pick out a 6lb Koi carp from the Ise around Wicksteed, but again a Chub won the race....god knows what happened to that fish.

I'm sure the pocket park could produce a 5lbder this winter, just need to find the time.

As for the skate park area, this for me was an area I could fish free from Chub and catch higher then average Roach, but the Chub have seemed to have moved in over the last few years. In 2005 I caught two 1lb12oz Roach, two years previous my friend has a 2lbder.

However I knew things were changing in 2006 when I had a 4lb+ Chub in that area.

Justin, are you suggesting you had a baby Ise Barbel?

Regards, Neil

Hello Neil

One of those legendary elusive Ise Barbel. Never!! The holy grail I referred to in my previous post is Grayling.

The Ise was stocked with 200 barbel in 1997 towards Wellingborough after a fish kill and admittedly I have caught barbel close to where the Ise meets with the Nene but actually caught the fish in the Nene. I have heard rumours of fish towards the Kettering.

---------- Post added at 09:58 ---------- Previous post was at 09:47 ----------

I've been fishing the Ise between Warkton and Burton Latimer since the 1980s. I've compiled a little guide to my part of this lovely little river.

kettering_ise_guide.jpg

Fishing Guide to the River Ise through Kettering, Northants.

All areas are free fishing (remember you still need a licence, the enviroment agency visit once or twice a year to check them) except 13 & 14, which are presently controlled by Thrapston and Kettering Angling Club.
I wrote this in spring 2013, and being a small spate river, it changes from season to season.

1. Boughton House Estate. Out of bounds. No fishing without the prior consent of the gamekeeper.
2. A few spots that can hold summer chub 1lb-2lb
3. Try the bends for chub and small shoals of larger roach.
4. A large hole that is popular with kids. always holds a shoal of small roach, including a few larger ones.
5. Between the large hole, and the alotments, the river is pretty barren of fish.
6. Lots of fish. chub 2lb-4lb, and roach, which in some swims, average between 1lb-2lb. best in summer, but can be quite busy with dog walkers and joggers.
7. 2 overhanging trees, which are usually good for a chub.
8. a few shoals of small roach, not really worth fishing.
9. has produced Roach over 4lb in past decades. fish around the storm drain for a good bag of small roach.
10. the swims just above the A6 can produce big bags of roach in winter.
11. Wicksteed Park. Out of bounds. No fishing between the A6, and the broken concrete sluice.
12. difficult access above the metal bridge, but some good chub, and big roach. Run off streams from the lake are devoid of life, due to lack of oxygen.
13. Wickstead park lake £5 a day, tickets from baliff. Unfortunatley, neglected. only worth fishing late spring and early summer for tench.
14. River Slade. in previous years has held good shoals of winter roach, and chub up to 6lb. fishing has declined, but still holds a few roach, chub, and (since 2011) a few bream.
15. Cross over the railway bridge behind the lake for access to 15-20. try the hawthorn swim, for big chub, and a good shoal of roach.
16. some good trotting spots for roach, and some very big chub. A few dace starting to appear too.
17. a nice deep hole. feeder fishing best, due to uneven bottom. roach, chub and perch.
18. some very big roach, and good chub, but inaccessable due to overgrown banks.
19. deep hole on the corner can fish well in summer.
20. looks good, but barren.
21. inaccesible, due to railway line, overgrown banks and Weetabix.

Other fish: pike to 20lb, but the size of the river makes then difficult to target. Rainbow trout- I've caught 3 to 7lb, but I've not seen one since the 90s. Carp do ocasionally escape from the leisure village lake into the Slade. I see a few tench in the river every season, but have never caught one. The fabled grayling do exist, I've caught 1 in 30 years. Gudgeon- now extinct in this part of the river.

I hope this is useful to somebody. If you want anymore info: brianasharp@live.co.uk
Please respect the river, its fish, wildlife and its other users.
Brian.

Nice summary there Eddie.

The Grayling fishing is pretty easy once you locate them. And that took me a good 3 years to do that. They only seem to frequent a 100 yard stretch of the upper river. The brownies again are "above" Kettering although I saw one taken where the Slade meets the Ise. Fished this upper stretch in November and pestered by em.

The roach seem to be coming back on in the normal areas when they decide to venture out from Wickies boating lake along with a few monster Perch.

One observation in the last couple of years is the lack of Chub appearing. I could used to always guarantee a handful of 3-4lb fish when fishing for a few hours from swim to swim. Now totally moribund of Chub.

The Gudgeon fishing is still good between Wickies and Weetabix.

billynoband

Reaction score
Just about to try Burton pocket park at dark tonight looking for that big roach that was mentioned.
Dont know what the conditions are like, any weed like last year,kids still jumping in the weir late at night? Anyway it's worth a try.
No need for any special tactics if you fish the ise at dark. The fish will hang themselves on 4 - 6 pound line using the rod tip as a indicator they will pull the tip right around and hook themselves ,a size 6 hook and huge peice of bread, keeps the small fish at bay. This has worked for me since the 70s. My son had a 2lb 6 roach using my rod a couple of years ago from this section, perhaps it was that lone roach.
Cant be bothered with trotting or fine ledger work in the daytime anymore, too many small fish.
Would be great to get a big perch sometime. Used to catch some up to a pound and a half in the nature trail lake on livebait when we were kids. In the 50s and 60s perch to over 4lb were common in the ise before disease wiped them from this country, would be great if they came back in numbers. Must switch to worm baits.

Had 2 chub last night, only fished for a hour and a bit as I forgot my head torch and most swims are very overgrown at waters edge but there does'nt seem to be too much weed in the water.
One of the chub was a heavy thing,big head and shoulders but short body,not too far off 4 pound I bet. Hardly ever bother to weigh anything nowadays unless it looks like it may make 5 pounds which is rarer than other anglers make out.
Health and safety seem to have been at the water. One part on a corner has had a small picket fence installed where the bank is subsiding next to the path. They have forgot to put warning signs at each entrance of the pocket park and in the town center however...wink.

Last edited:

paul ca

Reaction score
Went this morning for a 3hr session.

Boy is it fishing hard.

Paul

freesolo

Reaction score
Great write up Nick, I'm from Corby and often go for walks around by the Ise at Warkton and Boughton House see small chub and dace darting around its a lovely little stream, would love to get inside the Boughton House grounds to fish, god only knows whats in there! has you ever fished it?

paul ca

Reaction score
Blanked again yesterday having fished luncheon meat on the bottom.

Is it just me fishing badly or is anyone else struggling on the Ise?

Cheers

Paul

billynoband

Reaction score
I don,t even bother fishing the river in daylight anymore as I find it too hard and only catch small fish.
I find that the fish will hang themselves on your bait just as it gets dark. Big hooks, bait dropped into any deeper hole with a swan shot on the line and 6lb line with the rod tip as a bite indicator, they will pull the rod in. Used to catch big roach like this when we were kids too.
Only seem to catch chub these days though, the roach are there but they are much smaller than in the 80s , they are never going to beat those chub to the bait.

clivey213

Reaction score
Hi folks,

has anyone fished it this season ?

I used to be a member of Little Harrowden until they had to relinquish their stretch, ive had decent chub to 4lb, roach to 1lb 12oz and dace to 8oz out between Wellingborough and Finedon. Mostly on trotted bread.

Last season i had a few perch to 2 1/2lb from Burton pocket park last season but not fished it yet this season.

I would love to give it a few hours on a roving afternoon above Kettering if anyone would be kind enough to show me a few swims and in return i could show you downstream towards Wellingborough ?

Tight lines all !

Clive

justin simms

Reaction score
Hello Clive

It is strange that a post in another forum has brought me back here!!

Yep been fishing and have had plenty of fish stretching the fibers of my newly acquired Wizard. Mostly roach (fish a chuck in the right swim) ,Chub to around 2-3 lb and some lovely Perch. Once again the trout have been making an appearance but alas no Grayling. Also there seems to be an explosion of Dace in some of the upper stetches so all is looking good for the future. Will be fishing again this weekend.