Preview – Rovex John Wilson Avon/Quiver DeLuxe 11-13ft

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
A very timely review.

I have literally just been recommending 'The Wilson' as a great rod to a mate at work. I even took mine in yesterday for him to have a look at, such is my conviction in its all-round genius.

The only thing (without holding a new one) that I can see different is that they've replaced the screw-down reel seat with a neoprene grip rather than it being full cork, only a minor change, but still an aesthetic shame.

Mithrandir

Reaction score
I got the travel version for my birthday this year, so probably the old production, only fished a couple of times with it but a cracking rod.

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
I have both of the previous models, the 11ft with 2 tops, one a quiver and the newer 11-13ft with a standard top and a another top with a choice of 3 push in quivers. This new rod sounds like a combination of both. I have no quibbles at all about my two rods and think they are excellent bits of kit, especially given their price.

Reaction score
I have 2 of the MK2 1.25tc Masterlines and 1 of the 1.75 barbel version...

Great rods!

A bit gutted that the design/ manufacturer has changed slightly because I need some spare parts.

J K

Reaction score
I see the quivers are still Red, Yellow and Green but what are their weights?

Kevin Plaskitt

Reaction score
I bought a travel version off ebay earlier this year and was so impressed went and bought a second. Both cost less than £45 including postage. Great to keep one in the car for unexpected sessions. Its great for chub!

the indifferent crucian

Reaction score
It's as well they changed the handle, as it was prone to breaking and wouldn't accept the rather larger feet of old reels.
They have also dropped the 2 foot extension section I believe, though it maybe that it is again available in a 'deluxe' rod.
The poor handle came in with the grey blank, but I think the last ones made had it beefed up, or so I am told.

The tips are 1.5, 2 and 3 ounces, though this advert suggests otherwise...it might be useful for spares though....

John Wilson Avon Quiver Spare Tips | Ted Carter Fishing Tackle

This rod has been made by so many people in so many guises now it's getting hard to know what is current and what is old stock. There are definitely rods for sale with a screw-down cork handle and other with a screw down neoprene handle. Some are priced at £49.99 and some at £99.99:eek:

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I've have both the JW avon - bought in 2006 so not sure wich Mk it is and the JW avon travel - both are nice rods - prefer them as a quiver tip rather than a float rod unless I'm float fishing for carp

The travel revision is a good rod for those like me who don't like telescopic rods, also it gives you the option of both quiver and float rods with the convenience of only one rod- bought mine this year for £50 - I take this and a 11ft Daiwa travel spin (again not telescopic) that doubles as a carp and pike rod and I find all of my holiday fishing rod needs are covered

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
This rod has been made by so many people in so many guises now it's getting hard to know what is current and what is old stock. There are definitely rods for sale with a screw-down cork handle and other with a screw down neoprene handle. Some are priced at £49.99 and some at £99.99
You should find that all the stock at Angling Direct (follow the links in the Preview) is new stock and it is the Deluxe with the 2ft extention.

Hope this helps.

geggsnick

Reaction score
I see the quivers are still Red, Yellow and Green but what are their weights?

Does anyone know the answer to this as i took mine out today and should of had a bit of a lighter tip on i reckon?

i haven't had much fish action on mine yet (3oz gudegon and the smallest minnow i have ever seen:eek:) but it seems ok feels balanced not too heavy to hold.:D

capbrown

Reaction score
Fitting the extension piece

I have had this rod given me as a present - does anyone know how to fit the extension piece please??????

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
My only bugbear with these rods is why put a ring on the extension as you have to break everything down to stick it in...........?

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
why put a ring on the extension as you have to break everything down to stick it in.
Ahhh! When you fit the extension after you've threaded line and fitted end tackle, fit the extension so that the rod ring is sticking up, out of the way. Then you can use it like a gunsight to point it at the fish! :D

Only kidding. :p Nowt's perfect is it?

Have you used it yet Simon and more importantly, caught anything on it?