New Bream PB for Dr Paul Garner

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Interesting to note all the spawning tubercles on this fish.

However, I've caught big old bream in September like this. They must be a permanent fixture.

Well done though, Paul, nice one.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Well Well, just look at the condition of the fish, nothing wrong there, and caught in what was the old closed season.

Nice one Dr.

BarryC

Reaction score
Well done Dr.
I have just started my first concerted bream campaign. I to managed a PB but just 9lb 14oz also covered in the most amazing tubercles. They were all over its head, down its back and either side on the aft end of its body.
I have also been getting some amazing line bites that took line from the reel. I put this down to the very rough flanks of these fish catching the line and not just sliding over easily.

chav professor

Reaction score
Super Bream Doc! One of my biggest regrets was not fishing Melton lake near Woodbridge during its hayday about a decade ago, it had Bream nudging the then record a few years back (about 17lb). Wilson even did a 'Go Fishing' on it which was sadly my inspiration.

I had a bash two seasons ago and managed a bream of 10lb4oz, what appeared to be a remnant of that year class/stocking that did so well. A big bream has to be seen to be believed. A super PB to have!!! Very envious.......

chav professor

Reaction score
The Doc's gear doesn't look sound that dissimilar to what a lot of anglers use for barbel, tench or other species these days. I suppose as a specimen angler myself I can see the limitaions of using the lift float, swing tip methods etc when targeting a very small nomadic poplulation of fish. Obviously not to be overlooked though as these can sometimes be 'THE' method.

Additionally, I am a big supporter of the close season on rivers. The battle on lakes and canals was lost years ago and many have adapted our fishing around it. If you can't see the difference between river and lakes well thats an ethical stance that is fine by me. I have read Dr Garner's views on the effectiveness of a close season so he is more than capable of justifying his choice to fish.

For many people wo fish lakes, the close season is the best time to fish as the weed growth is not too excessive. I have raked swims to clear weed as the summer progresses - but this is not a really environmental thing to do. It is not uncommon to drag out immature fish like tench that were seeking sanctuary in the margin weed.

Of cause there is a bit of glory hunting - I am usually the first to publisise a good catch;bp

Son of Meldrew

Reaction score
The Close Season isn't there for OUR benefit. We've managed to cope with weather conditions, weed, etc, for years - do we really want everything in our favour to the extent that the fish are given no peace? And as for seeing the difference between a river and a lake, that's irrelevant - fish are just as vulnerable in the spawning season, no matter what sort of water they inhabit; they don't need the extra stress of being captured.
The catch-big-fish-at-all costs brigade really are getting worse. I've seen articles/chapters by well-known big-fish anglers who deliberately target spawning or spawn-filled bream in May to give themselves more chance of a PB, a record, etc. Don't they realise how unethical this looks? It's effectively tearing up the record books to allow spawn-filled bream/tench/carp, etc, to be recognised as 'records'.
And if they don't care about ethics, what about the fish? I see big old bream turn over and die every year on my local waters after spawning, but how much worse is it for them if they're deliberately caught while they're trying to reproduce? And how many monster carp have died after being caught full of spawn? The first so-called 'record' caught in the former Close Season, for one, plus a 40 from Savay...Carp anglers in particular spend a fortune on unhooking mats, carp antiseptic, etc, but when it comes down to a spawn-filled 'PB'...it's glory first, fish welfare second.
And of course the catch-at-all-costs merchants would love to get on the rivers while the barbel are spawning...all the fish nicely shoaled up, heavy with spawn, or exhausted and hungry after spawning...never mind the odd fish floating downstream belly-up, I've got my big fish!
Makes me seethe! What in heaven's name is the world coming to?

Son of Meldrew

Reaction score
No, but I've beaten him off the next peg. Funny how anyone daring to criticise Close Season fishing is instantly branded mad...Poor old Ray. Full marks for standing up for what he believes in. Principles used to be an admired part of the British character. Funny how things change.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Funny how anyone daring to criticise Close Season fishing is instantly branded mad...Poor old Ray. Full marks for standing up for what he believes in.
One thing standing up for something, like our Chav does, but Ray used to get right out of his pram about it and the language was choice to say the least. He'd ring me and call someone who'd written in favour of abandoning it, like me, and when I told him I wanted it abolishing too he went off the handle. Boy oh boy and I needed a dictionary just to follow his chosen words, make a bricklayer blush. ;)

But I tell you, Son (since I am the original Moaning Marlow Meldrew), I can name a top anglign writer who is fervently in favour of the Close Season and he did exactly what you say - targetting tench - in season - that were spawning - and he knew it - so it was deliberate. Talk about two faced so I criticised him, publicly in a magazine, and he denied it would cause them any harm. Beat that. :confused:

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Dr Paul Garner really knows his onions and doesn't really need to publicise his catches. He does so because I beg and plead with him! because he really is a very special angler and the best all-rounder I know of. In the last year he's had a 50lb+ carp (on bream tackle) a couple of 30lb+ pike and now this great big slab.
Re spawning fish, Paul once told me that several species of coarse fish, including carp, are carrying spawn for 9 months of the year anyway, so therefor IMHO, to do it properly you need to extend the closed season to 9 months! :wh

(Ducks and runs!)