Big Chub – Thoughts and Observations

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
A great article, and another arrow in the quiver... also very interested in your last post - packing up at Croxley and coming back past the normally fishless, welly-wadeable (almost) shallows by torchlight, there used to be big bow-waves and splashes that suggested that shrimps weren't safe once the light went.

Simon K

Reaction score
I was going to start a thread on chub recognition. Apart from distinguishing features like you mentioned how the hell do you tell different chub apart? Its fairly easy with barbel and other fish but what about chub?

The same ways, I guess, fins, scars, aberrant scale patterns etc? The thing is, my target is an 8lb-er and those that I know have been caught multiple times, almost invariably come out in the same stretch, even the same swims, each time. I can think of a couple of swims where different 8's have been caught, but beyond that, I know pretty much which fish I'm most likely to be targetting. Also I don't think a chubs weight varies that much, certainly not like a barbels.
I'm not really one for trying to catalogue my captures in any species, so it wouldn't hold enough interest for me to do it.
It's only a short step from that to "names", perhaps? :eek::)

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
The same ways, I guess, fins, scars, aberrant scale patterns etc? The thing is, my target is an 8lb-er and those that I know have been caught multiple times, almost invariably come out in the same stretch, even the same swims, each time. I can think of a couple of swims where different 8's have been caught, but beyond that, I know pretty much which fish I'm most likely to be targetting. Also I don't think a chubs weight varies that much, certainly not like a barbels.
I'm not really one for trying to catalogue my captures in any species, so it wouldn't hold enough interest for me to do it.
It's only a short step from that to "names", perhaps? :eek::)

Down on Throop there are (were!) a number of known, very recognisable chub. "Split Tail and "Twin Split Tail" to name but two. Apart from the obvious signs they were generally in excellent condition. Many of the known fish (big 6's and 7's) were frequent visitors to the bank and a couple of the regulars down there are (were) on first names terms with most of the chub still swimming! Woe betide anyone with dodgy scales trying to claim a big "7" when the full history of that fish is well documented! :eek:mg:

Excellent article Simon, more please.

I love chasing big chub but sometimes "handicap" myself because of my preference for trotting with a pin. :cool:

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Neil,

I don't think it is a handicap " Trotting with a Pin ".

As Simon mentioned in the article, the Big Chub do seem to frequent the same bit of river/canal for most of their lives.

I know (as does Simon) where there is a Good chance of an "8", because it comes they come out from the same area every year ?

I have always trotted for Chub and in 2010, I use to a Starlight attached to the top of a big Waggler float to trot at night.

I never had a really Big Chub using this method, but I did have some chub and this was from an area of the river where the first ever recorded 7lb chub was taken on flake whilst trotting, back in the early 2000s.

Trotting covers a lot of water and has to be one of the top methods of Chub Fishing, especially at night ?

Bob

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Neil,

I don't think it is a handicap " Trotting with a Pin ".

As Simon mentioned in the article, the Big Chub do seem to frequent the same bit of river/canal for most of their lives.

I know (as does Simon) where there is a Good chance of an "8", because it comes they come out from the same area every year ?

I have always trotted for Chub and in 2010, I use to a Starlight attached to the top of a big Waggler float to trot at night.

I never had a really Big Chub using this method, but I did have some chub and this was from an area of the river where the first ever recorded 7lb chub was taken on flake whilst trotting, back in the early 2000s.

Trotting covers a lot of water and has to be one of the top methods of Chub Fishing, especially at night ?

Bob

Tongue in cheek Bob! The numbers game with really big Throop chub saw most fall to static baits. I've had big 6's on the float (typically big Avons or similar) and loose feeding with maggot, caster and such like. Not had a 7 on the float but have on the lead & feeder set ups.

Some of my most enjoyable trotting days have been in winter with the river in full seasonal flow and netting big bags of chub. "Wading" through the 4's and 5's and catching the occasional 6 is very surreal but most enjoyable.

Certainly two years ago, the big chub were in and around the same winter areas and the few 8's that did come out of Throop were also in what seems to be their territory.

Unfortunately night fishing is not available down there but I would usually arrive mid/late afternoon for short sessions into the first hour after sunset, squinting at the float and practising the "one last trot" syndrome.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Another thread was running recently-something like 'Who should write a book'.

Its only my opinion but the author could do worse than put pen to paper and present some up-to-date information (much the same as Mr Wintle has done in Big Roach) on fishing for big chub...

Okay,so he's put out this article which will probably end up in a place for some to reference but a book,which pushes on from the Peter Stone 'Big Chub' of yesteryear would be nice to have....IMHO

I note a book on dace fishing is due for release soon (?) so why not one on BIG chub..

Just a thought...

Simon K

Reaction score
Another thread was running recently-something like 'Who should write a book'.

Its only my opinion but the author could do worse than put pen to paper and present some up-to-date information (much the same as Mr Wintle has done in Big Roach) on fishing for big chub...

Okay,so he's put out this article which will probably end up in a place for some to reference but a book,which pushes on from the Peter Stone 'Big Chub' of yesteryear would be nice to have....IMHO

I note a book on dace fishing is due for release soon (?) so why not one on BIG chub..

Just a thought...

No pressure on me then, Tee Cee? :D :wh

Catching an 8 this season would definitely help the credentials. Not sure I'm worthy of lining the library shelves alongside some of the names put forward. :eek:

I shall consult and investigate.................;) :)

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Obviously you would need to spend several months fishing the Wye/Hants Avon/Dorset Stour (among others!) plus a few stillwaters (strangely I don't recall anyone following up on Stoneys 7lb+ fish...must be double figures by now if still alive!) just to give the book a bit of weight....

Might cost a few bob but what the hell,fame is never cheap eh!!

...............still think its a good idea-even without the padding chapters...

bigchub

Reaction score
Obviously you would need to spend several months fishing the Wye/Hants Avon/Dorset Stour (among others!) plus a few stillwaters (strangely I don't recall anyone following up on Stoneys 7lb+ fish...must be double figures by now if still alive!) just to give the book a bit of weight....

Might cost a few bob but what the hell,fame is never cheap eh!!

...............still think its a good idea-even without the padding chapters...

You could get other people to write chapters to give their experiences of fishing other rivers around the country like Neil Wayte did in his River Carp book. This may give a better overall picture of today's big chub fishing.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Good point! One of my favourite books is John Searl's "Chalk Stream Roach":

John Searl - The Art Of Angling

John has pulled together some stunning chapters by a range of anglers, resulting in a superb book.

Mind you, finding a willing publisher is very difficult and challenging, just ask Graham Marsden and/or Mark Wintle (but they got there in the end).

Simon K

Reaction score
You could get other people to write chapters to give their experiences of fishing other rivers around the country like Neil Wayte did in his River Carp book. This may give a better overall picture of today's big chub fishing.

Yes, Nelly's "River Carp" format was the first thing that popped into my mind.

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Or Simon,

You could ask Neil, Ian, Terry, Tony, Jerry, the two Garys, Alan, Martin and a few others who have fished the Lea with you over the last 9years to contribute a Bit towards a book ?

:)

All of whom have caught 7+ Chub from the Lea in recent years !!

Bob

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Bigchub,

Well I think thats where most of the work was carried out on the Bolt Rig and Circle Hook for Big Chub !!

Simon and I have certainly fished a lot of other rivers (Ouse, Ivel, Stort, Roding, Thames).

But the Lea with it's different types of water, was the River where all the work was done.

There are many good books on Chub fishing, the "Chevin" by the Chub Study Group is an outstanding example.

Bob

bigchub

Reaction score
Bigchub,

Well I think thats where most of the work was carried out on the Bolt Rig and Circle Hook for Big Chub !!

Simon and I have certainly fished a lot of other rivers (Ouse, Ivel, Stort, Roding, Thames).

But the Lea with it's different types of water, was the River where all the work was done.

There are many good books on Chub fishing, the "Chevin" by the Chub Study Group is an outstanding example.

Bob

Ok. Fair point Bob. Can't argue with that. Going to be using circle the hooks on Thursday for the first time. Really looking forward to see how they perform.

Paul Morley

Reaction score
The excellent article is very specific to the requirements of one river and its inhabitants, but does promote thought for many others. Crays up here on the Goyt are a pain, for example, but rivers like the Ribble would not allow such extremes as backleading. The bit that appeals least is palying a chub with a substantial lead swinging around, they seem to offer more sport with set ups like a light link leger and therein often lies the appeal. When it's 'one bite' sessions, there may be a call for the bolt set up again. Barbelling on Weds I hooked a 4.15 chub which snaffled a hair rig and 3ft of flouro extremely keenly, and fought well despite a 1.75 tc rod and 2oz+ lead. So I agree there is often much cobblers assumed about chub bites and behaviour, the thinking approach in Simon's piece is challenging and therefore very welcome.

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Paul,

I went to college in Lancashire and fished the Ribble, I cannot see a reason why Back Leading could not be used in that river ?

If it's needed or not is another question.

Bob

Paul Morley

Reaction score
Bob it's certainly not the Lea! I was thinking of another thread where a chap is getting caught on rocks repeatedly - most swims I'm looking to have as little on the line as poss for that reason, and I'm not sure it would be needed. The Dove, however, may be a different matter. A much slower and smaller river in Lincs may also be a place to try your approach, I'm fascinated anyway and look forward to the winter. The build up to this article was great, proper FM material - things have been much improved lately..

Simon K

Reaction score
The excellent article is very specific to the requirements of one river and its inhabitants, but does promote thought for many others. Crays up here on the Goyt are a pain, for example, but rivers like the Ribble would not allow such extremes as backleading. The bit that appeals least is palying a chub with a substantial lead swinging around, they seem to offer more sport with set ups like a light link leger and therein often lies the appeal. When it's 'one bite' sessions, there may be a call for the bolt set up again. Barbelling on Weds I hooked a 4.15 chub which snaffled a hair rig and 3ft of flouro extremely keenly, and fought well despite a 1.75 tc rod and 2oz+ lead. So I agree there is often much cobblers assumed about chub bites and behaviour, the thinking approach in Simon's piece is challenging and therefore very welcome.

It's not always appreciated how much harder really Big Chub fight compared to their smaller brethren, I'm usually quite glad I've got "beefed up" gear to play them on, regardless of the fact that it's "balanced" for the lead I'm using, not the fish.

There is one swim where I cast 45-50 yards to the far bank margin (no fishing allowed from that side) and I use light carp gear for that. I'm not bothered by whether it's "sporting" or not, it happens to be the best set of tools for that job. :)