FishingMagic Forums

Go Back   FishingMagic Forums > FISHINGMAGIC NEWS > FM News & Feature Comments
Register Forums Blogs Classifieds FAQ Calendar Arcade Search Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18-11-2011, 10:21
Administrator

FishingMagic has disabled reputation
Default The Demise of the Tackle Shop

This is a dedicated thread for discussing article: The Demise of the Tackle Shop
Old 18-11-2011, 10:27

clint4782 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The Demise of the Tackle Shop

A lot of truth in that well written piece, but there are still some shops where service counts.....sad to see any tackle shop close down though.
Old 18-11-2011, 10:33

chav professor is on a distinguished road

We are lucky to be serviced by three tackle shops. But I have my favourite and it is all down to great customer service. Well done to the boys at Breakaway tackle - and rest in peace Nigel Forrest. Probably one of the greatest inovators in the modern sea fishing world - I just hope Breakaway carries on very much in the same spirit.

A well written and thought provoking piece.
Old 18-11-2011, 10:51

maceo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I stopped in after work at a large and very well known southern tackle shop, to browse and buy a few things for the weekend.
I thought you went to the barbers to buy 'something for the weekend'.
Old 18-11-2011, 11:07
Moaning Marlow Meldrew

Jeff Woodhouse will become famous soon enoughJeff Woodhouse will become famous soon enough

Many times I've written about the tackle trade and their fears of the Internet, Ebay and even the bigger supermarkets etc, selling fishing gear. Instead of calling these resources, try embracing them, but all too often they don't and as a result their businesses fail.

They should address this question -

Click the image to open in full size.

And that might tell them just how little they sell through their own shop without any outside promotion. They really need to grasp the situation and start selling through websites and ebay (or at least offer payment through PayPal).

I know we're never going to see tackle shops like the Bass Pro shops in the USA, but we could do an awful lot better than is currently offered.
Click the image to open in full size.

When did you see a range of reels on display like this in your local shop?

PS: I also ran this article on J&K tackle in Bicester. Must get up there again for another look!!!!

Last edited by Jeff Woodhouse; 18-11-2011 at 11:10.
Old 18-11-2011, 11:07

Peter Jacobs is a jewel in the roughPeter Jacobs is a jewel in the roughPeter Jacobs is a jewel in the rough

It is undeniable that tackle shops in some parts of the Countray are experiencing very lean times, and that some are having to close down. Others have come to the end of their leases and the owners want a different retail type in their shops.

That said, in other parts of the Country the tackle shops are thriving; take Ringwood for example, two very well established tackle shops within about 80 yards of each other; Avon Angling and Ringwood Tackle.

Poindestres in Southampton have recenty moved to larger pemises and Reid's Tackle at Witherington Farm Lakes is now bursting at the seams, whereas about 5 years ago they had only just moved to their new and much larger premises.

Now, there is a key mutual factor in all of these shops, and that key is the word "service" not only service but friendly service to boot.

Food for thought!

Go softly by that river side Or when you would depart, You'll find its every winding tied; And knotted round your heart.

Rudyard Kipling

Old 18-11-2011, 11:26
Moaning Marlow Meldrew

Jeff Woodhouse will become famous soon enoughJeff Woodhouse will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Jacobs View Post
two very well established tackle shops within about 80 yards of each other; Avon Angling and Ringwood Tackle.
Forget which one it was, but when I asked for maggots they wanted to sell me a full pint! Rip off or what?

PJ knows!!!
Old 18-11-2011, 11:36

Lord Paul of Sheffield will become famous soon enoughLord Paul of Sheffield will become famous soon enough

There are 3 tackle shops near me

2 sell pet food as well - leeps them going

but all 3 give good service, are friendly and give advise on what's fishing well
Old 18-11-2011, 11:37

Paul Boote is on a distinguished road

Funny, I was thinking about tackleshops just a bit earlier, thinking that the future for some of them might be converting into a Zombie Apocalypse Store, what with increasing numbers of Anglers going that way now ... you know it's coming...

Las Vegas: the Zombie Apocalypse Store - video | Travel | guardian.co.uk
Old 18-11-2011, 11:37

MarkTheSpark is on a distinguished road

I echo the sentiments of the writer completely. We are blessed here in Peterborough with the excellent Sheltons, and to be fair to them, they have kept up with most things.

But let's be honest, they open when most people (who have any money) are at work, and close when they're not. I've lost count of the number of summer mornings when I've woken early and thought 'fishing' only to realise it's Sunday and I can't buy any bait. I've no problem using bread and luncheon meat, worms and other baits, but they're not going to put money in the till, are they?

Kids are particularly disorganised and would buy stuff on Sundays. I even remember one tackle shop buying a vending machine which was designed for selling chilled milk in Tetrapaks, and filling the machine with pints of maggots. Brilliant idea, and you could have any chilled bait in them.

But the truth of it is, most tackle dealers think they're there to stock tackle for sale. If all I wanted was tackle, I'd go on'tinternet. What I want is service... an incentive to go to the tackle shop.

But how many tackle dealers organise teach ins for the kids, or stage matches, or have a coffee bar and wifi, or organise tackle demonstrations, or do anything outside of opening the door each day, just after people have gone to work, then locking it just as people leave work.

I'm not saying running a tackle shop is easy - of course it's not. But nor is running any business. It's a tough old world, and the tough and innovative are the only businesses which will survive.