Martin Salter takes on Angling Trust Appointment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
And a great Christmas present to boot
SO John, are you going to pay three times as much now? :D :D

I'm sure there's been a lot of negotiations and very sweet talking along the way, but I'm pleased he's on the ATr bus at last.

But sorry Martin, your position on our waiting list remains the same. You can always come as a guest still. ;) :D

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
"I sent the club a wire stating, 'PLEASE ACCEPT MY RESIGNATION. I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER' ".

Telegram to the Friar's Club of Beverly Hills to which Groucho Marx belonged, as recounted in Groucho's autobiography, Groucho and Me (1959)

Andy Youngs

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I don't blame you Paul. I sent Mark Lloyd a wire stating Martin Salter is ****** and I will not join the AT until you kick him out.

Last edited:

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Nowt wrong with Martin. He once invited me to have lunch with him at the House of Commons, but I told him "I don't do zoos - maybe meet on a riverbank sometime...?".

Andy Youngs

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Maybe, but as far as I'm concerned he's done more to incite conflict between anglers and other user groups than any other individual in the history of our sport.

Paul, the only reason he invited you to the House of Commons is because he imagined he might get something out of it in the popularity stakes. He's a cynical manipulator that doesn't give a toss about anything other than pandering to a few wealthy minorities. And just as I was starting to gaze favourably towards the AT they go and appoint him a director.

I would love for him to come on this forum and defend his record, but I doubt if he's got the balls ....

Will Barnard

Reaction score
I can assure you this Andy, I have known Martin for a few years now, he is much, much more than the sum of those parts you have suggested. The man has done a number of great things in angling and otherwise that have, for want of a better word, gone under the radar.
I haven't the time to list everything but ...really, cowtailing to the wealthy....really?

Speak to his ex constituents and i'm sure a great percentage would put you right.

Andy Youngs

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
OK, you respect him, I don't. As far as I'm concerned he had the opportunity several years ago to seek a fair accommodation with other river users and diffuse a dispute, but he chose not to do that.

Instead, he favoured pandering to a few intolerant barbel and salmon fishermen because they represent BIG MONEY, and he thought it would make him popular.

Will, you've got your opinion, and I have mine, and I dare say never the twain shall meet.

As far as I'm concerned Martin Salter is a complete *******.

Will Barnard

Reaction score
It's ok, I've just realised who you are, I knew the name was familiar....as soon as you mentioned canoes, all became clear.

The only nice thing I can muster about you is that you have the conviction enough to argue a point while using your real name.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Well, I don't know who he is but perhaps you can enlighten me!

Even so, whilst everyone is entitled to an opinion I suggest it would be advantageous if reasons were given as to why this opinion is held.....

Over to you messrs Youngs and Barnard.......

904_cannon

Reaction score
Durham City, Co Durham ... STILL The Land of The P
OK, you respect him, I don't. As far as I'm concerned he had the opportunity several years ago to seek a fair accommodation with other river users and diffuse a dispute, but he chose not to do that.

Instead, he favoured pandering to a few intolerant barbel and salmon fishermen because they represent BIG MONEY, and he thought it would make him popular.

Will, you've got your opinion, and I have mine, and I dare say never the twain shall meet.

I just had to see what rubbish you came out this time Mr. Youngs

"As far as I'm concerned Martin Salter is a complete *******"

A case of pot and kettle me thinks.

And just why would any angler negotiate away hard won and costly rights :confused:

As for being invited to the Houses of Parliment for luch/dinner, my wife was invited on many occasions, and she came away with 100's of £1M's for social housing re generation in the North East -from TORY Sec's of State AND ended up being awarded the OBE for her efforts, so dont try that old pandering to BIG MONEY.

And before you come back, as you will, might I suggest you take over Martin Reads column in the Angling Star (you'll have to see it to undertand)
This is mine!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Excellent news.....I know how useful it is to have somebody with detailed insight into the mechanics of the political system working for you.

Andy's entitled to his views; many wouldn't agree with him and the tone of his responses don't help his cause (in my view) but that's his choice and, as long as there is no conflict with T &C's, he can write away.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
No less than I would expect from you, Andy, and I suppose that if I informed him of your opinion he would do the rightful thing and totally ignore it. I'm sure he's had much worse said of him before by many that have no idea of his work and he has broad enough shoulders to carry it.

Andy Youngs

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
No less than I would expect from you, Andy, and I suppose that if I informed him of your opinion he would do the rightful thing and totally ignore it.

I'm sure you're right Jeff. Please, inform him anyway. He's a politician, and I'm sure his shoulders are broad enough to take it. In any event, my guess is that he's already aware of it.

I'm sure he's had much worse said of him before by many that have no idea of his work and he has broad enough shoulders to carry it.

The only way to avoid criticism is to do nothing, say nothing, be nothing. But if you enter the political arena then you need to be prepared to receive personal criticism and engage in public debate ...

---------- Post added at 21:23 ---------- Previous post was at 21:17 ----------

It's ok, I've just realised who you are, I knew the name was familiar....as soon as you mentioned canoes, all became clear.

The only nice thing I can muster about you is that you have the conviction enough to argue a point while using your real name.

Why thank you Will. Perhaps the penny might shortly drop within the AT that many anglers would also like to safeguard their rights to navigate their local river.

Given that the AT seem to have taken sides prematurely, it's a very real, relevant dispute.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
But if you enter the political arena then you need to be prepared to receive personal criticism and engage in public debate ...
True, but nothing in any of your statements above could be construed even by the wildest of imaginations as 'debate', just ordinary common abuse.

It does kind of sum up your attitude very much.

Andy Youngs

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Well, I don't know who he is but perhaps you can enlighten me!

Even so, whilst everyone is entitled to an opinion I suggest it would be advantageous if reasons were given as to why this opinion is held.....

Over to you messrs Youngs and Barnard.......

Erm, the basic problem is that there is a current impasse between canoeists and anglers over access to our rivers. Nobody seems able to solve it, and nobody is prepared to move. It's a big problem.

---------- Post added at 21:51 ---------- Previous post was at 21:29 ----------

True, but nothing in any of your statements above could be construed even by the wildest of imaginations as 'debate', just ordinary common abuse.

It does kind of sum up your attitude very much.

My 'attitude' Jeff, stems from the notion that if this conundrum is ever going to be solved, then one side has got to move. But the only side that have got any room to move are the anglers, because the default legal position (according to you) is that canoeing our rivers is illegal unless landowners consent has been obtained in advance. This automatically prevents the public from paddling down 96% of our inland waterways.

You have accused me of engaging in common abuse of an individual. I refute that. My abuse is very specific and directed towards an individual who had previously entered the public arena of his own free will.

---------- Post added at 21:58 ---------- Previous post was at 21:51 ----------

my wife was invited on many occasions, and she came away with 100's of £1M's for social housing re generation in the North East -from TORY Sec's of State AND ended up being awarded the OBE for her efforts

Congratulations. Your wife is obviously a very important person.

And before you come back, as you will, might I suggest you take over Martin Reads column in the Angling Star (you'll have to see it to undertand)
This is mine!

Can't you post the link on here so we can all read it?

904_cannon

Reaction score
Durham City, Co Durham ... STILL The Land of The P
Not important really, (but HRH thought otherwise) but a social conscience, and was rewarded for 25 years worth of unpaid work.

A link? No web site. For an angler you're obviously very ignorant.

This is mine? Obviously it wasnt. A cryptic clue.

Erm, the basic problem is that there is a current impasse between canoeists and anglers over access to our rivers. Nobody seems able to solve it, and nobody is prepared to move. It's a big problem

The only problem is canoeists are not prepared to pay a single penny for access, whilst angling clubs/associations pay £1000's

Anyway, WELCOME BACK MARTIN, I'm sure that 99.99% of anglers will say the same!

Last edited:

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Appetites...

Just don't feed them -
MountainTroll.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.