Angling Trust Angry at ‘Shambolic’ EA

pondy

Reaction score
I've dug this old thread up because I've received some very good news today about Abingdon Hydro -

It's delayed!

OK, as the writer of the round robin says "There are no show stoppers" but the council have asked the developers to provide extra information about access, land use, and rights of way. Maybe one or two of us pointing out that it is in the Green Belt has swayed a few Councillors and made them think a bit, who knows. Also, it seems they haven't sourced all the money yet, in fact, they still have no idea how much it will cost or to quote the writer -

"In December we commissioned an engineering consultancy, Peter Brett Associates, to do a design study which is working out how to build it and what it should cost."

To me that sounds a little strange, putting in for plannign application when you have no idea how much it's going to cost. Yet, based on this lack of knowledge they are able to predict to some degree the dividends people will earn from their investment. 'Cart before horse' saying comes to mind.

Anyway, a delay gives us further time to argue our points and if a few other projects fall by the wayside in the meantime.....

Just a quick response here, the land is not Green Belt, this was confirmed over two years ago! The planning is delayed but as you say there are no show stoppers and once the issues have been fully addressed, which is currently in progress, the project will go ahead.

There is a much bigger threat to Britains water courses in the pipeline, despite what you think hydro schemes like our proposal are pretty much benign. The biggest threat is from Fracking, the British government have just given the go ahead for Fracking to be developed and there are proposed projects all over the UK. In North America Fracking has been proven to poison many water courses by releasing not just methane but also a poisonous cocktail of other chemicals and gases which have leached into water courses effectively killing them. The air quality near these projects has also been found to be very poor and in some cases, highly toxic.

I think there is a serious need to protest against these Fracking developments because the potential environmental damage is massive, if found to be harmful, hydro schemes can be removed but if the water courses are destroyed by poisoning there is no going back! I know there are a number of planning applications in at the moment for Fracking projects and these need to be rejected with great urgency, the government are going to want these to be approved because there is big money at stake here but at what cost to the environment?

I know some of you on here see me and the other hydro developers as environmental terrorists but we are not, we are small fry compared to the big energy companies who just want to make money regardless of impact!

Pondy.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
if found to be harmful, hydro schemes can be removed
Fat chance! Once they're in that will be it for 30 years at least!

I know some of you on here see me and the other hydro developers as environmental terrorists but we are not,
Oh yes you are!
Oh no we are not,
Oh yes you are...

(OK, so I made up that last quote of yours to make it sound like a pantomime as it's the season for panto, which just about describes hydro. Look at Romney - 15 months late already! Shambolic doesn't even begin to describe it.)

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm not so certain that modern day fracking is a bad as is made out when related to water supplies.

The US has been fracking for over 30 years they have learned a great deal in that time of the problems associated with contaminating water supplies.

Although I don't claim to have a great deal of knowledge, I do understand that long term experience has enabled this to be taken into account in modern fracking practices.
As a result any risks, which are already low, are dealt with by the current control mechanisms employed and reduce the risk factors further.

B

binka

we are small fry compared to the big energy companies who just want to make money regardless of impact!

Pondy.

So you're a small company who wants to make money regardless of the impact and with little effect on solving the country's energy crisis then?