Record Fly-Caught Coarse Fish List

greenie62

Reaction score
I have worries about this over-categorisation of Records - will the levels of proof of capture be the same across the different methods - already there seems to be a difference in that the 'Fly-Caught' claims must be backed-up with a photo - whereas the Official list is becoming increasingly sophisticated in terms of verification - with Scale &/or DNA samples required for some species.
Mark Wintle ran a post some time ago on the problems of estimating fish size from photographs and how even experienced anglers could be fooled by the 'presentation' of the fish to camera. What's changed?

What next in terms of categorisation:
- Record Pole and maggot caught fish list?
- Record Pellet Waggler fish list?
- Record Mepps Spinner caught fish list?
Stop it NOW - before it gets too silly!

thecrow

Reaction score
I have worries about this over-categorisation of Records - will the levels of proof of capture be the same across the different methods - already there seems to be a difference in that the 'Fly-Caught' claims must be backed-up with a photo - whereas the Official list is becoming increasingly sophisticated in terms of verification - with Scale &/or DNA samples required for some species.
Mark Wintle ran a post some time ago on the problems of estimating fish size from photographs and how even experienced anglers could be fooled by the 'presentation' of the fish to camera. What's changed?

- Record Pole and maggot caught fish list?
- Record Pellet Waggler fish list?
- Record Mepps Spinner caught fish list?
Stop it NOW - before it gets too silly!

Record foul hooked fish list, I could start that one off with a 28lbs mirror hooked in the anal fin, wasn't on a mepps though ;)

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score

How about Southern Record fish versus Northern Record Fish?

or,

River record versus still water record?

The possibilities are virtually endless . . . . . . . . .

I've caught Chub, roach and Dace on a fly but only by accident when fishing for brown Trout on the Hampshire Avon.

I have also caught when intentionally "dapping" for Dace. Maybe I should have weighed them as I see no mention of Dace on that list . . . . . .

thecrow

Reaction score
IMO record fish lists are a waste of time no matter how the fish was caught, many fish above national record weights have been caught and kept quiet as have many river records.

Some species have been thrown off the official list while others that are equally none indigenous are recognised.

Why don't we have a record game fish list not caught on fly? :D

stu_the_blank

Reaction score
It's just a list, if people want one, why not. We could have line class's as the big game people do, fly caught, lure caught etc etc. If it floats your boat, go for it, just don't ask me to join in.

I basically agree with Crow (I must be coming down with something!) they mean little to me, I think that sometimes we take ourselves a little too seriously. A list of the biggest fish caught is just that, doesn't imply any merit and why on earth they have tried to discriminate against 'non indiginous' when the stable door was definitely shut too late, is behond me. How far are they going to go back? The biggest is....................the biggest!

However, some records have revolutionised angling. **** Walkers carp for a start. Some have lead to massive accrimony, (eg Bob Morris' Barbel). A lot of large fish haven't been claimed, so what?

Stu

sumtime

Reaction score
I must hold the record for the amount of times I've caught my willy on my fly. :(

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
It has a certain curiosity value but that's all. I'm really not that interested in notional [often arbitary] sub divisions like line class,river etc etc.

Like PJ I've caught the odd coarse fish when trout fishing but always by accident. I had what I initially thought was a lump of a roach off Bewl Water that was nearer 3lb than 2 but on closer inspection there was something just slightly breamy about it.....and the big brown fry bashing at Rutland which I stalked turned out to be a 6 oz perch. Bloody thing ! !

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
Small quibble - the way that the weights are presented is confusing. What is a 5.15Ib fish? Do you mean 5Ib 15oz or 5Ib 2oz ?. Pounds and ounces still dont use decimals THANK GOD!

Dominic Garnett

Trade Member
Reaction score
new record list will either pique your curiosity or not, but is meant to be something fun and inspiring. I find categories like "lure" or "fly" interesting, because these are special areas requiring different skills. It's about seeing what's possible- and unlike the usual specimen scene (which is becoming very predictable in terms of venues and methods) the field is wide open here. No harm in a little diversity is there now?
Oh- and yes, weights show ounces, not decimals.
And yes, top game species on lures and other methods could be interesting. Why not? It's only in Britain we find such a strong and bizarre snobbery and reverse snobbery about different fishing styles.