Fishing – Why?

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
All of which - fish of all sorts, ditto places, ditto people (especially interesting gals of all ages, but then they're my problem) - I have been banging on here about for the past near-ten years. Tell me now, are we all beginning to bury our unreconstructed Neanderthal "selves" and go a bit Sapiens? Could be. Let's hope so.

smudger172

Reaction score
All of which - fish of all sorts, ditto places, ditto people (especially interesting gals of all ages, but then they're my problem) - I have been banging on here about for the past near-ten years. Tell me now, are we all beginning to bury our unreconstructed Neanderthal "selves" and go a bit Sapiens? Could be. Let's hope so.

????????????????. Whats he banging on about now.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
????????????????. Whats he banging on about now.

Don't be a knuckle-dragging relic, be WISE ("Sapiens" - Latin, what our species is named after, a cut above yer average ancient caveman). Some of us clearly have rather more than the average of 2% to 3% Neanderthal DNA in our make-up, judging by how a few behave on a mere fishing discussion forum.

smudger172

Reaction score
Don't be a knuckle-dragging relic, be WISE ("Sapiens" - Latin, what our species is named after, a cut above yer average ancient caveman). Some of us clearly have rather more than the average of 2% to 3% Neanderthal DNA in our make-up, judging by how a few behave on a mere fishing discussion forum.

Basically because it had nothing remotely to do with the thread.. You obviously only get off when talking total bo££ocks or insulting people as most of your post testify.

To be honest i cant quite get to grips with why you bother to post on here. You don't like anybody or anything other people write as your 1 like given shows..

Please do not waste your precious time responding to this as you have been switched off.................

stu_the_blank

Reaction score
A selfie? You've not worn well Paul!:D On the other hand, some mornings after a night on the sauce, when I look in the mirror.........................:w

Stu

nicepix

Reaction score
Basically because it had nothing remotely to do with the thread.. You obviously only get off when talking total bo££ocks or insulting people as most of your post testify.

To be honest i cant quite get to grips with why you bother to post on here. You don't like anybody or anything other people write as your 1 like given shows..

Please do not waste your precious time responding to this as you have been switched off.................

If you knew his circumstances you may understand why he is so bitter. What he doesn't accept however is that he alone is the architect of his current situation.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It is only when someone is right on the money about a matter or a number of matters that he gets taken to task, picked at and over, very well looked into, and trashed and bashed so routinely and thoroughly for so long. Some people's "shut up"s, "stop posting"s and "go away"s are highly indicative of this and very revealing.

"Carry on, Sergeant Wilson."

Last edited:

bennygesserit

Reaction score
If you knew his circumstances you may understand why he is so bitter. What he doesn't accept however is that he alone is the architect of his current situation.

Why does his situation have anything to do with you ? Why do you even care ?

It seems both of you have spent the last ten years arguing with each other in a very bitter fashion , if you are so happy and content with your life why do you feel the need to spend sooo much time discussing Paul Boote ?

And Mr Boote if you are so all consumingly clever as you make out , why dont you realise that calling people chippy no-names or hoi-polloi isn't the very best use of your famous , devastating charm , why dont you just pm each other.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Moderation note:

moderation on here works along the same lines as the UK Security Threat Levels, such as:

• Low - an attack is unlikely
  • Moderate - an attack is possible, but not likely
  • Substantial - an attack is a strong possibility
  • Severe - an attack is highly likely
  • Critical - an attack is expected imminently
Typically we work on a "Moderate" Level.

Please be advised following this current thread we are raising the level to ,

Substantial

Please don't force us to open this:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/22984501@N06/2254243248/

Last edited:

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
As I said earlier in this thread and have said on many others on other Angling sites over the past ten years, I was mooching along rather nicely on the Angling internet, freely helping people on fly, coarse and game, trout, salmon, sea-trout, grayling, bleak, barbel and bullhead matters and very often being very much thanked for it - it's how I am, always willing to help a fellow fisher, because I had some very generous people (the great majority of them not rich or posh or packing a big name) help me when I was starting fishing or when I was trying to get past a state of "Stalled Dunce" on getting into a new Angling discipline, had got so far but then couldn't see the wood for the trees.

Then a tiny number of highly insidious, often politically motivated, agent provocateurs appeared, caring not a jot for other members of the forum concerned and what they invariably and inevitably did to it before scurrying off to wield their online machetes elsewhere (wreck sites in some cases, leaving them a mostly abandoned shell by anyone decent or with a little talent) so long as they could lay a blow on just one individual - which, astonishingly, happened to be me. Sorry, not paranoia or a sense of victimhood on my part, but it happened - too many people have seen it, I have many gigabytes of every mind-bogglingly stupid encounter (including this one).

We are fast running out of Anglers who do it purely for love, fellas. Remember this when the time comes, not too far down the line, that the only help or advice you will get with / on an Angling matter will be from someone who wants to flog you something or to join them in a particular, very often non-people-friendly, politicking or ideology-spreading "Cosy Nostra" clique or club.

The more we argue and bicker, the more we bring that grisly state of things on. But then such pointscoring power-players, who in most cases contribute little to Angling as done at the waterside, want that, want it bad - all they want is to run the shop and be the only game and voice in town. Not good for Angling.

The internet has been something of a double-edged sword for Angling and so many other things in our lives, having allowed people to get together and share, but also allowed in those formerly confused and alone in a room or ranting at the world in a bus or pub, often very angry few who only want to bicker, bash and knock. In the past, we could cross the street, jump off the bus, drink elsewhere; now, we can't.

Watch them.

Last edited:

nicepix

Reaction score
Why does his situation have anything to do with you ? Why do you even care ?

It seems both of you have spent the last ten years arguing with each other in a very bitter fashion , if you are so happy and content with your life why do you feel the need to spend sooo much time discussing Paul Boote ?

And Mr Boote if you are so all consumingly clever as you make out , why dont you realise that calling people chippy no-names or hoi-polloi isn't the very best use of your famous , devastating charm , why dont you just pm each other.

If you looked at the link from 2006 I posted earlier you will see that it concerns a number of people who volunteer their time to restore an urban cess pit into a thriving river. The debate had been going on quite civilly for three weeks until Boote for his own reasons decided to have a go at the genteel people of the Wandle Trust.

Now I have nothing to do with the Wandle Trust or the website in question. Never been a member, hardly if ever read anything on it But I confess to have nothing but admiration for the members of the Wandle Trust for the work they have done. Why do I know about this spat and others like it on forums I've never been a member of or visited? Because for more years than I care to remember Boote has started arguments with people, got drubbed in debate and either flounced or got himself banned. Then he starts a thread on other forums about it pleading innocence and claiming to have been badly treated.

Why is Boote so bitter? Because he failed at what he wanted to achieve and because of his own chosen life path for the last 15 or 20 years he hasn't been able to do what he would like to. So instead he rails against those who can.

Now you and others might let it wash over you. But I'm not the sort of person to take being called a Neanderthal, knuckle dragging or having done 'nothing' by a selfish hypocrite who spends his whole life dissing anglers based on his proclaimed superiority with not a single jot of independent evidence to support him.

thecrow

Reaction score

All humans share 50% of their DNA with bannanas.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Clive you aren't averse to the odd spat yourself ( neither am I ) do you remember centrepin wars , i read virtually all you post with great interest but the stuuf you write about Paul seems as vidictive as he , often , seems snobbish unfunny and patronising.

Anyway I'll just stop reading the stuff , if I can.

Judas Priest

Reaction score
I know this is going to sound/read pretty radical but here goes...........

The photo at the top of the actual article shows the joy of fishing and what it can bring, the huge smile says it all really.

Can't agree with Rod though that the ATr is the only way forward as there are numerous groups/individuals who are doing their bit to recruit and show kids the joys of fishing and the countryside, without throwing a few hundred quid at the ATr to get their blessing and then be called a professional coach.

nicepix

Reaction score
I was part of a scheme a few years ago to try and get more kids fishing. It was a disaster. Most of the kids who came had no interest in fishing and were simply being dumped on us by parents wanting free child care. A few kids who were genuinely interested got some benefit out of the scheme but the thing that struck me is that my generation hasn't a clue about what kids today like and don't like. A different planet springs to mind.

Judas Priest

Reaction score
Nicepix

That's the thing about some of the accredited coaches that I've met, no idea whatsoever how to chat with kids. It's ok having all the qualifications but if you can't talk with them on their level then you're wasting your time. In schools there are teachers who teach, and teachers who inspire, there's a huge difference.

nicepix

Reaction score
I'll admit to being child intolerant. They come out in bruises when I'm around :D

We got on OK with the kids that wanted to learn. Less so with those who weren't interested and disrupted the sessions. The main thing I learned from being involved with this and other schemes over the years is that many of the adults who are involved in setting up young people's services aren't 'in the zone'.

When I was a teenager youth clubs were the place to go. Social Workers involved in youth work still think they are.

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
Moderation note:

moderation on here works along the same lines as the UK Security Threat Levels, such as:

• Soft - activity is unlikely
  • stirrings - activity is possible, but not likely
  • swelled up - activity is a strong possibility
  • semi hard - activity is highly likely
  • back to soft again - activity is expected imminently but too much beer has been consumed

I think thats how it goes..