Wild Tales in Walthamstow: Fishing with Garrett Fallon

no-one in particular

Reaction score
To be fair the usual angling papers do what they say on the tin. If they are weekly they are there to provide as much information as they can stuff in. The quality of the writing etc is going to suffer. And they have to pay for huge production, distribution costs etc so, advertising is probably a must for them.
This idea of a very well written journal with class articles, class pictures and no advertising is I think a welcome idea. I think it being a quarterly would make it a welcome alternative to the weeklies or monthly's.
Is there a market for it? Hard to assess, I know a lot of anglers who do not bother with the usual angling press, they are fed up with all the adverts, self promotion etc so, they may be tempted with a purely fishing quarterly of high quality.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
"For too long the public have been fobbed off with thinly disguised adverts passed off as writing by sponsored anglers, while the same mediocre material repeats each season, displaying all the wit and originality of a floor tile. And with rates of pay that often border on the derisory, is it any wonder fishing writers either sell out or give up?"

Yet I do rather wonder just what the publication would make of a "long read" written by me?

"Shaddap!"

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'd much rather write what little I do for free, Geoff. Besides, a long piece by me these days would be considered a future policy document by some people - "Okay, so this is how he sees things ... let's whizz up something similar looking and sounding yet altogether different and tell the mugs and punters that 'this is how it is now'....".

Nah, better be a thorn in power-players' sides, to speak uncomfortable truths to self-elected authority, to act as a governor on some often highly antisocial, very powerful engines.

kevparr

Reaction score
Nice piece by Dominic - and though I do have a vested interest, I really hope it sells enough to keep going....

nicepix

Reaction score
"For too long the public have been fobbed off with thinly disguised adverts passed off as writing by sponsored anglers, while the same mediocre material repeats each season, displaying all the wit and originality of a floor tile. And with rates of pay that often border on the derisory, is it any wonder fishing writers either sell out or give up?"

Yet I do rather wonder just what the publication would make of a "long read" written by me?

"Shaddap!"

I don't think the public would take to it if the content of your writings on the various forums over the years was replicated.

Yes, the current authors in the angling press are guilty of flagrant product placing to a lesser and greater extent dependent on their circumstances. And, as I have stated before, the hoops that need to be jumped through do not equate to the fees paid. That is why there are so little original and entertaining articles in the angling press or any hobby press for that matter. Photographic magazines were no different.

But the answer isn't a "Look at me" article. People don't want to be constantly reminded at how good the author thinks that he is. They want to be inspired as to how good they can be.

I would however be interested to hear of what successes you have had in:
"being a thorn in power-players' sides, to speak uncomfortable truths to self-elected authority, to act as a governor on some often highly antisocial, very powerful engines."

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
As far as I know, only I -http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/0/77/1682942-dr.evil.jpg - am permitted to fish at that spot (with a gaggle of attendant Lady Guides - lovely gals). We keep the media riff-raff off, you know.

john step

Reaction score
I ordered a copy which arrived today and have only had chance to browse through it so far.
It appears to be a quality magazine, actually more like a mini book decently printed with 18 decent and varied articles and I haven't noticed a single advert yet.

At £8 my immediate thought on reading the blurb was " that is expensive for a magazine and it will have to be good for that price to succeed"
Actually when you consider that you only get a few decent articles if you are lucky amongst the adverts and usual rubbish in most magazines for about half the price of this one on cheap and nasty paper it now seems like very good value indeed.

Good luck Garrett Fallon on this venture. It deserves to succeed.