Catching those Dream Fish

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
This is an excellent old fashioned fishing article. One of the best I've seen on FM for a long time. Thanks Martin.

I learned to tie a bimini twist twenty years ago but have never used it with braid, only mono.
The GT knot is new to me but I like it! Got to learn that one.
The Lefty knot is also known as the Mirrorlure knot and the Rapala knot and probably a dozen other names. It is the choice of big game anglers worldwide and I use it all the time when salmon fishing with the upturned-eye hooks on some salmon flys, mainly because it produces a loop which gives the fly more 'life' - and I trust it more than the traditional Turl knot.

martinsalter

Reaction score
Thanks Geoff. I should have placed in a mag as its bit long for a blogpost. I really do think the GT knot is the strongest braid to nylon connection of them all. I learned it when fishing for big Samson Fish out of Perth in Oz. You can tie it on a pitching boat and its best to have your braided loop or Bimini Twist wound onto a rod in the holder so you can apply a bit of tension. Once you've put the plaits in the trick is to smooth the weaves back down the line before you tighten everything up. It cannot slip and the braid will break before the knot ever does !
Give the FG knot ago as well. Lowest profile connection possible and I use for bass when I want long leaders and a smooth passage through the rod rings to get those extra few yards on the cast. We should meet up in Pembrokeshire this summer and do a bit of bass and wrasse fishing??
:)

martinsalter

Reaction score
For Geoff and anyone else interested, I see that I've put the wrong link up for the FG knot video. Try this one for a much better guide to tying this brilliant braid to mono connection

http://youtu.be/yk7uWUa4z6Y

martinsalter

Reaction score
Mark. Ok I know I'm a bit of a knot saddo but I suggest when you try the FG for the first time that you practice on thick mono leader - it's easier - and that after the twelve cross wraps you lock the knot with a single half hitch. Then...pull the ***** out both ends and if it's tied correctly you'll see the braid change colour as it bites on the mono. All you have to do next is tie two more half hitches over the combined lines and end with three more over the braid itself. Trim as close as you like and the job is done. :)

rubio

Reaction score
Does it work as well nylon to nylon? I'm thinking of leader knots for sea fishing in particular.

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
They have - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJ0mnVL2ayg - but I'spose it depends where your arthritis is!

Humm as one of the comments said this device makes the knot a thousand times harder than it is to start with .

the Aurfur is in fingers wrists elbows shoulders in fact not many are not but such is life plod on attempting to disregard :)

PG

martinsalter

Reaction score
Check out Henry Gibey's recent blog for an even easier way to tie the FG knot.